PDA

View Full Version : PS3's 399 USD Price 'Simply Too Steep,' says Analyst

wraggster
October 11th, 2008, 19:31
On the hardware front, EEDAR sees Nintendo dominating with 600,000 units sold each for the Wii and DS. The Xbox 360 is also expected to sell 320,000 thanks mostly to the recent price cut. The PS3 meanwhile is predicted to sell only 215,000 units, and the PSP has been forecast to sell 235,000.

"...the surge in Xbox 360 sales likely came from the mainstream and casual markets who were enticed by a sub-$200 Xbox 360 SKU. We should note that if Microsoft's first-party titles perform significantly better in quality and popularity than Sony's this holiday season, we could begin to see a considerable amount of potential PS3 owners, who may be waiting for a PS3 price cut, to choose the Xbox 360 over the PS3," he said. "Currently, we expect Gears of War 2 to be the single best selling SKU this holiday season."

"We still urge Sony to consider a possible hardware price cut this holiday season. If September hardware sales fall below our estimate (under
200,000 units), it could be an indication that the Xbox 360 price cut played a bigger role on hindering PS3 sales than what we originally expected," Divnich continued. "While we have no doubts that titles like Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet will drive the core gaming market to purchase a PS3, we do, however, have doubts that either title will lure in casual and mainstream gamers. The $399 price point is simply too steep to entice the casual and mainstream markets, regardless of how great Resistance 2 and LittleBigPlanet may be."

http://www.gamedaily.com/articles/news/ps3s-399-price-simply-too-steep-says-analyst/?biz=1

marios_shadow
October 12th, 2008, 05:31
Let me get this straight, it's taken TWO YEARS for an 'Analyst' to notice that the PS3 is too expensive for most consumers?

Now is not a time to be proud of whoever made this breakthrough.

jamotto
October 12th, 2008, 05:48
Let me get this straight, it's taken TWO YEARS for an 'Analyst' to notice that the PS3 is too expensive for most consumers?

Now is not a time to be proud of whoever made this breakthrough.

The "Analyst" is simply saying that the semi recent price cut was not sufficient, Sony on the other hand seems to think otherwise. :rolleyes:

F9zDark
October 13th, 2008, 03:25
Well Sony better drop the price and fast. With Wall Street losing steam every day and the Japanese stock market taking the hits from it, it won't be long until Sony feels the pain.

And when people are strapped for cash what do they do? Certainly not buy expensive, "premium" hardware when much cheaper alternatives exist.

Triv1um
October 13th, 2008, 13:47
Is that a ****ing joke $400?!

I believe that's like £230/£235 now. I wish our PS3's are that price!