PDA

View Full Version : PSPSOne Update

wraggster
January 8th, 2006, 16:11
PacManFan is still working on his PSX Emulator for PSP, heres the latest status report from him:

I know everyone is dying for an update (or a file release). Currently, I'm working on some issues getting the Eboot to run on a real PSP. I've been working primarily with the PSPE emulator, and the dynaimc recompiler works fine, however, I'm having somewhat random crashes getting it to work on the real PSP.

It actually works fine as long as file debugging is turned on, but when I turn off my logging, or try to comment out the file writes in the file debugging code, the PSP crashes. I think it has to do with the CPU registers being saved before file writes. I need to figure out why (or what) is causing corruption of the registers during run-time. I suspect it's another thread. The dynamic compiler definately DOES work on the PSP.

One issue that I'm still having with the PSPSOne emulator is GPU interrupts not being handled correctly all the time. I beleive it's because my program counter variable is being updated only while branching.

One other thing that I'm going to do is change the architecture of the plugin system to integrate the GPU Plugin code directly into the project, instead of being called through a function pointer system. There are several unnecessary layers of function calls being made every time I write to the GPU memory, This can be optimized for better speed, as well as normal memory reads/writes.

Another thing I'm doing, is converting the project to work with the PSPSDK. I know this may sound strange, but I used a smaller psplib.c file with limited functionality in it, as well as my own startup.s code. This is the same code that I used to build Quake before there was a PSPSDK.

I can post a binary that works in the PSPE emulator if everyone wants, but I think you all can wait till I iron out a few issues with the PSP version.

Hopefully, I'll have something for everyone to see soon. Be patient,rest assured that I'm still working on this, and devoting a lot of time to it.

-PMF out

mr_snake3rd
January 8th, 2006, 16:23
psone emu would be amazing, altho the games would take up loadsa space,
but i can twait for it to be finished, keep up the great work pacmanfan!!

evilal
January 8th, 2006, 16:38
man if u pull this of ul b a god amongst gamers the world over

no2morro
January 8th, 2006, 18:17
If you can pull this off, I will definately send you a donation. I want to see this thing in stone though. Sorry about the scepticism, but I hope you understand that the scene has been rampant with BS recently, so its hard to know who to trust, but you seem legit. If you can make if, I would charge for it. I would pay 5 to 10 dollars a copy, that accumulated can get you a whole lot of dinners. (^_-)

I pray to the entertainment deity upstairs that the PSone for PSP works. I was going to buy a GP2x for that distinct purpose of PSone games on the go...Awesome work.

If you have a paypal account, and you can get this thing rocking 95% (at least with a solid frame rate for Final Fantasy Tactics and Tactics Ogre) send me an email, and I will hook you up with a donation. Last thing, can you use cue files, or do they have to be iso?

contact: [email protected] to follow up on the donation, or just open a paypal account when you complete this, let us know the account and watch the money come in. Or if you like girls, I will hook you up if you are ever in Bangkok (^_-). This is the one we have all been waiting for. My hat is off to you.

no2morro

Attention Wragster: IDEA

Would it be possible for you to set up a kind of account that we could donate to, and upon this lads completion of this exceptional work, you transfer the money to him? I suggest you as the mediator as this is your selection of sites right? Because this is the case, that would give you reputable status. Unless you feel uncomfortable in doing this, I think it is a good idea. I think by doing this, and having credible people involved to manage funds until a project reaches completion, the funds held would motivate creators to complete work instead of jumping out of the scene before the time is done, and making a lot of people unhappy? If the developer jumps out before the project is done, and pulls and Aenea (refer **********s forum for more info), then the saved funds could be dedicated to another project that is voted for by the people of the forum (I would like to see the GBA project completed)

Can any one think of a better person than wraggster? I can't If you can set it up, let me know where to make my contribution for the PSonePSP account.

Killing2Live
January 8th, 2006, 18:37
If your wondering where you can donate, go to his website http://home.comcast.net/~shernandez1337/PSPSOne.html and scroll down to the bottom and you'll find his paypal account.

Valiant
January 8th, 2006, 19:10
I am highly anticipating this one, (if it works well, then I tip my hats off to you for accomplishing something revolutionary...getting a psx to work on psp)

The_Ultimate_Eggman
January 8th, 2006, 20:01
Oooo yes bring it on cant wait for this one this is going to be HUGE.Im getting a hardon thinking about it plz hurry up !!!

Kaiser
January 8th, 2006, 21:37
Pacmanfan is slowly but surely getting through this emulator. it seemed he was having a lot of trouble with the recompiler in his last update, but it seems that he's got that under control now. Playstation emulation is tough stuff and all I can say is,

Keep it up Pacmanfan! Your doing awesome!

MaxSMoke
January 9th, 2006, 00:44
We wait with bated breath! Maybe I can finally try this FF7 I've heard so much about. (never got around to playing it on the original Playstation)

bugo
January 9th, 2006, 01:45
man, do what you have to do, we wait! And Thnyou for your awesome work.

Erban Terrorist
January 9th, 2006, 10:30
I guess nows the time to start scowering the local eb games for used psone games???

dkainer
January 9th, 2006, 10:38
Take your time PacmanFan, no rush, because before you came along, this wouldn't have been possible...

Go, go, go PacmanFan

Acrodin
January 9th, 2006, 12:52
!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! This is going to be so freakin awesome !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I knew anything about programing, this would be the project to work on! Can't wait for it to be released.

And as far a space goes, with a 4gb hard drive, there's no need to worry!

Can't wait to go portable with Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, FF Tactics or FF VII! SWEET!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

one winged angel
January 9th, 2006, 12:56
pacmanfan no rush needed but please keep up the awesomework :eek: :eek:

evilal
January 9th, 2006, 22:39
You are truly a god amongst men.But guys please give this guy time, impatience is understandable, but just keep playin your FF6 and Chrono Trigger and when a finished article comes, or any end product for that matter, give this guy the credit (and money) he deserves.

Voltron
January 11th, 2006, 12:12
Here is some more encouragement pacmanfan. All of your work is very much appreciated. I agree with others when I say take your time. Please don't hesitate to ask within these forums if you need any help whether technical or financial. Sure there are space concerns, but hopefully there will be some higher capacity memory sticks or less cumbersome external solutions to combat this.

Also, does anyone familiar with the technology behind this have any idea of the possibility of this working at a good speed with sound? It almost sounds too good to be true but after playing the neo geo cd emu with incredible speed and sound it gives me hope that it would be possible for the PSOne as well. Also, does anyone know how games with multiple discs would work on this sort of emu? For instance, with a legally owned Final Fantasy VII game, would you just extract the iso contents of each of the 3 discs into the same folder? Would the sound work like the neo geo cd where a separate folder holds all of the MP3's?

If anyone has any idea of the workings behind this emu or even any theory's or guess's I and I'm sure others would love to hear.... Thanks!