PDA

View Full Version : I want to learn Wii Homebrew.

Dredgy
October 13th, 2008, 12:39
Couldn't find an introduction forum, so I'll make a relatively brief one here that is roughly relevant to the topic.

My name is Dredge. Josh Dredge. I am 15 years of age, and am a hobbyist programmer. I am fluent in too many languages, among them being C/C++, C#, HTML, CSS, JavaScript, PHP, ActionScript, VB + VB.NET, J#, F#/Ocaml, Pascal, Logo and Ruby.

(Un?)fortunately I am told I have far too high standards for programming (I once reduced a guy to tears when he sold me a web template that had 56 validation errors on HTML Transitional, thank you Dreambeaver). I just don't accept second class work, and I never will.

I have developed Windows and Linux applications using .NET and Mono, as well as DS and PSP homebrew. I really regretting not releasing some of my DS homebrew before my old computer broke, and since my R4 has since gone belly up, I think I will focus on the Wii, and wait for the DSi before I start doing DS stuff again ;)

I am attracted to the Nintendo Homebrew scene because of the awesome innovations (DS dual + touch screen, Wii motion sensor). Doing DS (and hopefully Wii) homebrew is very fun. Whether your product turns out right or not, it is always great to see the final result.

Now, I have done a teensy bit of research into Wii Homebrew development and really want to get into it. All I've done so far is read some WiiUse documentation and examples, and it looks to be very easy to use and, written in C, it feels familiar.

Just out of curiousity are there any other languages you can use for Wii? I had a play around with Pascal for the DS and it was pretty shithouse, but still...

What I really need to know though is a compiler, since without that I am royally screwed. So any suggestions? I am using Windows Vista, but have Fedora and Ubuntu installed.

If there are any other libraries I should look into, do tell.

Cheers,

Dredgy

Tantric
October 14th, 2008, 18:43
First off, you're asking in the wrong place. Tehskeen is the site for development. For resources, check out Wiibrew, the #wiidev channel, and devkitpro (your development environment). C/C++ really are the way to go. Do some reading up before you ask any more questions.

godsdead
October 24th, 2008, 18:05
oh ausom, you really know some indepth languages for 15,nice one, me i know alot of web languages but am only starting on desktop develpment, and would love to also learn how to programme some wii homebrew =]