PDA

View Full Version : DaedalusX64 - New N64 Emulator for PSP Announcement

wraggster
October 13th, 2008, 20:09
Its been a while since our own StrmnNrmn has been around although i remember a PM about the hacking of DCEmu sometime in january, but the N64 Emulator for PSP has had no real new version since then bar some unofficial versions that caused some fun on the forums.

An announcement on a site that uses the StrmnNrmn (http://strmnnrmn.com/forum/index.php?topic=173) name (but not the official home) says a new coder is to take on the rather hard task of emulating the N64 on PSP:

A new Dev that came here hoping to help Daedalus and the community has declared he is going to try and tackle Daedalus! Shinydude100 came here and is teaming up with our other 2 devs that have stumbled across the Daedalus source code in hopes of bettering from where StrmnNrmn left off. His current plans are to implement a newer and improved Zilmar graphics plugin in an effort to increase performance slightly and will help compatability a bit with microcode work.

Here is some quotes from Shinydude100 about what he has planned for his first release:

"This should be supported for the PSP, and if all goes well, we should see increased performance, and even better texture rendered on the floors of games like Legend Of Zelda: Ocarina of time, and Diddy Kong Racing with actual polygons appearing. By change, i do not mean i'm suggesting, i mean i'll change the graphics plugin to an 07 graphics based Plugin which should support our PSPs. GRAPHICAL IMPROVEMENT is a BIG thing when it comes to the emulated FPS we get on Deadauls."

~Shinydude100
Deadauls Coder--Keeping it Alive...

Its supposed to be released sometime in October, lets hope its no red herring

pibs
October 13th, 2008, 20:18
Great News! For a while there I thought Daedalus was going to be left for dead.

ICE
October 13th, 2008, 20:24
Yay!!!!

Shadowblind
October 13th, 2008, 20:46
Whoo! Can't wait for the new daedalus release. Good luck Shinydude and the other coders!

wolfpack
October 13th, 2008, 20:47
3 Words...

About
Damn
Time

:p

pspmodel1001
October 13th, 2008, 20:49
Whoo! Can't wait for the new daedalus release. Good luck Shinydude and the other coders!

Same here.:D If it'll play ReVolt, I just fall in love with my PSP again.:thumbup:

jurkevicz
October 13th, 2008, 21:04
Great news! I wonder what happened to Strummn!

Buddy4point0
October 13th, 2008, 21:09
Personally, I think it's bullshit and I hope StrmnNrmn comes to straiten him out.
Let's hope I'm proven wrong.

PSPdemon
October 13th, 2008, 21:21
hmmm... ill have to wait until we see acual proof...

ill keep a eye on it though...

i will say...if it IS true... ill be very happy because n64 development has been pretty silent since last christmas...

hoping this is real...but not holding my breath ;)

Thanks for Everything,
PSPdemon

alanparker05
October 13th, 2008, 21:47
The psp homebrew scene's got a bit stagnant lately, if this is true it's finally something to look forward to

Eviltaco64
October 13th, 2008, 22:18
Great news! :)
Hopefully this will breath some new life into the PSP scene (that is, if it's released).

gr42178
October 13th, 2008, 22:23
This would be awesome! Not gonna hold my breath tho, I will believe it when I see it!!!

mike03$$$
October 13th, 2008, 22:29
hmmm.. dobt it will help compatability but let me contact wally on what he thinks

cornervizion
October 13th, 2008, 22:30
Simply looking forward to it! That's all.... Let's hope It can run the Goeman games.

mike_jmg
October 13th, 2008, 23:25
Hope they can get there

chris-007
October 14th, 2008, 00:06
I don't expect that much.
StrmnNrmn, what happened to your work with audio offloading? No time, doesn't work, lost interest?

Eviltaco64
October 14th, 2008, 00:11
This is looking oh so very fake.
Though I could be wrong of course.

TAzz MAN
October 14th, 2008, 00:16
Great and cant wait for this release

pkmaximum
October 14th, 2008, 00:41
Eh seems fake to me, just my two cents >_>

Veskgar
October 14th, 2008, 00:59
If this is true its certainly exciting news for PSP homebrew & emulation. Seeing old emulators get new life and seeing new emulators pop up is always such a rush.

Safari Al
October 14th, 2008, 01:41
I just don't see this going too far. I'd much rather wait for strmnnrmn to finish his current project, then hopefully work on daedalus some

carlitx
October 14th, 2008, 04:27
*runs in circles from excitement*

PSmonkey
October 14th, 2008, 04:56
Nothing against the guy but I wont hold my breath till I see something substantial.

I've had countless people ask to continue m64 with most not knowing what the hell is actualy involved with writing a n64 emu for psp.

Who knows though, maybe he might have an idea if he is looking to fix the gpu code but still I though I remember strm. putting alot of optimisation into the gpu code already.

CaptainMorgan4
October 14th, 2008, 06:43
I am the owner of StrmnNrmn.com and I can assure to the one's that stated this fake that this project is very real and I believe it has a nice shot at seeing good improvement. Thanks to all supporters and you can go to our forums at strmnnrmn.com to read everything Shiny has planned.

dark heart
October 14th, 2008, 07:13
i think a better use of words for this would be 'too good to be true' but I'd love to be proven wrong :)

but I'm not a little bit worried, cos I'm ditching my psp for a Pandora when it comes out :) surely 128mb of ram is appropriate for a n64 emulator, and Linux (the consoles os of choice) being a major OS I'm sure it has one tucked away in the internet.

but hell, it would be nice to play some of this on my psp while i still use one.

Wally
October 14th, 2008, 08:24
Ram isn't going to improve any N64 emulator, N64's only have 4MB of ram.. Shouldn't take anymore than 8MB to emulate.

PSP is still a much better platform to emulate N64 on :P

wally

brandonheat8
October 14th, 2008, 08:37
now that i've heard from captain morgan i can put my heart at ease and wish this project a good run and im always available for testing. :)

tidieu626
October 14th, 2008, 09:42
Hooray

jxx2005
October 14th, 2008, 16:57
can't wait
its gonna be good if they can do what the hope

kjetil1991
October 14th, 2008, 17:44
yay my psp need something new to play

wwboy
October 14th, 2008, 18:05
about time someone else took it the lead in this project

Strongbadunit2
October 15th, 2008, 02:55
I hope this new dev makes some serious progress. I highly doubt this will get far, after all there is only one StrmnNrmn :)

dark heart
October 15th, 2008, 07:51
"PSP is still a much better platform to emulate N64 on :P"

with one lousy working analogue stick, a much smaller resolution and a top cpu speed of 333 I'd have to disagree with you there.

i love psp, but lets face it, there isn't much competition between this and Pandora.
plus my psp is getting worn out :D for one, the umd won't stop making buzzing noises without a umd.

noname1
October 15th, 2008, 19:28
OH YES!! i was waiting for a new daedalus release glad someone is making a new one and yes graphical improvements are very good but we also need compatibility for more games.
And of course speed improvements i like to play mario at 100% instead of 80%.

JLF65
October 16th, 2008, 01:31
Ram isn't going to improve any N64 emulator, N64's only have 4MB of ram.. Shouldn't take anymore than 8MB to emulate.

PSP is still a much better platform to emulate N64 on :P

wally

You can also have another 4 MB on the Expansion Pack. But that 8 MB is nothing compared to the ROMs - you forget that N64 ROMs go up to 32 MB.

8 MB of system RAM, 32 MB of ROM, and whatever you use for recompiled code for the CPU means you're pushing what's available on a Slim. The Phat gets around the ROM size by using a function to fetch/store memory which determines if the page of the ROM being fetched from is in memory, and loading off the memstick if not. Not all the ROM is in memory at once, which slows things down. There's no way around that on the Phat, unless you want to restrict people from using 32 MB ROMs.

Add to that a texture cache for improved video and you can see that doing N64 on the PSP is pushing it to the limit.

CaptainMorgan4
October 16th, 2008, 06:05
If you didn't mind come by strmnnrmn.com and give our coders some of you ideas if any or any advice or anything would be appreciated.

Zack
October 16th, 2008, 19:21
Not to burst a bubble....

I am curious to know how he plans on porting the 2007 version of zilmar's graphics plugin when it is closed source.....

Porting something (and optimizing for psp) like GLN64 or Rice would be a actual possibility since they are open source...

CaptainMorgan4
October 16th, 2008, 20:02
I believe he got permission from Zilmar.

wraggster
October 16th, 2008, 20:40
is virtual memory like what they did in the xbox scene iirc possible on the PSP ?

surely that would solve the memory problems if it could be accessed fast enough etc ?

Exophase
October 17th, 2008, 15:10
PSP can't do transparent virtual memory in the same way an XBox can because there's no MMU. But an emulator w/o an MMU has to emulate every memory access in software anyway, so performing page swapping non-transparently doesn't really add overhead over what real virtual memory would give. It's actually probably faster (if memory emulation is done right). gpSP does it this way.

JLF65 seems to know what's going down, maybe he should work on this stuff :B

TEOL
October 18th, 2008, 15:15
This is good news.

Praying for No Mercy support.

Kreationz
October 30th, 2008, 03:30
Just a quick update. Myself and Wally are currently working on support for more ROMs by supporting more microcodes. As to the earlier comments about larger ROMs and morememory needed... Exo was correct in his comment and Daedalus uses memory in a similar way to gpSP, so memory size is not an real issue ATM...

P.S. The fist microcodes we are working on are for DKR.

kryst abegnalie
October 30th, 2008, 10:52
wow good news, i wish also strmnnrmn update also his own emulator, but anyway i will try it out if you release it anytime soon, paper mario still dont work in R13

coolguy08
October 30th, 2008, 14:59
Perfect timing.. thanks for keeping us posted.

DanTheManMS
October 30th, 2008, 17:17
You can also have another 4 MB on the Expansion Pack. But that 8 MB is nothing compared to the ROMs - you forget that N64 ROMs go up to 32 MB.

Quick correction, it's 64 MB max. To quote Wikipedia:

Nintendo 64 games were ROM cartridge based. Cartridge size varied from 4 MB (32 Mbit) (e.g., Automobili Lamborghini and Dr. Mario 64) to 64 MB (512 Mbit) for Resident Evil 2 and Conker's Bad Fur Day.

JLF65
November 1st, 2008, 01:27
Quick correction, it's 64 MB max.

Thanks for the correction. I hadn't realized that there were any 64 MB ROMs out.