PDA

View Full Version : If Sony are going to Revamp the PSP What should they Fix/Upgrade ?

wraggster
January 8th, 2006, 21:06
Theres many rumours of a revamped Sony PSP coming out maybe later this year but what do we want fixing or upgrading on our Beloved PSPs, well heres my personal list of things id like to see but some may and some may not be fixed.

1) Homebrew Support for all firmware (exceedingly unlikely)
2) Built in PSP to TV support
3) Longer Battery power
4) Built in Hard drive (4gb)

Id like to see them fix the cases of PSP Games or release cases so that people can finally play games that have had faulty cases.

Whats your List ?

answer via the comments

ameal70
January 8th, 2006, 21:57
well... one thing that's always bugged me is the location of the power switch. Am I the only one in the world who accidentally switches their system OFF when trying to reach for the R and the O button at the same time, most of the time in a particularly difficult or exiting moment?

Why oh why is it there? Why not somewhere where your hand cannot possibly be, like the to of the console or something? Weird and annoying.

And how about more memory? Developers seem to run into that wall already and the machine is still in its infancy. Hmm.

Apart from that I love it to bits. Just more games, but that's just a matter of patience :)

pspvik
January 8th, 2006, 22:20
i heard rumors of a 20 gig internal memory which is all i think the psp is missing

mr_snake3rd
January 8th, 2006, 22:32
1) a built in hard drive, 20gb+
2)a bigger battery to support this hard drive
3)full homebrew support, no iso's tho
that is all

so_cal_forever
January 8th, 2006, 22:38
-HDD
-Better construction of the drive door
-Less-scratchable plastic used for the screen

Chackan
January 8th, 2006, 22:42
Well, only full homebrew support (not iso's, no need for those), like emulators etc

lilvietquoc
January 8th, 2006, 22:48
HDD-with no lag i shud say...so watching movies and music doesn't skip
-with atleast 10GB
more comfortable analog stick-maybe something like one's on a ps2 controller
-but miniturized
and....ooo...a digital camera!!lol

grayjaket
January 8th, 2006, 23:21
I think the possibility of a 20 gb hardrive is highly likely...due to "Connect". Sony's not going to get hardly ANY sales from PSP users if they only have their little 1 or 2 gb cards....even a 4 gb won't generate many sales....their only hope for success on that has to be a hard drive...

also two analog sticks would sure be an IMMENSE improvement on the system....FPS's would be much....much better...and Katamari? need i say more?

better construction overall....the power switch hasn't really been a problem except on my first psp it snapped(for no apparent reason) and would no longer turn it on(thank you EB games warranty).

this could be a firmware update thing too...but i'd like to be able to listen to music while...say..browsing the internet or viewing photos.

but yeah....that's about it.......the homebrew thing will never happen but i guess wishing doesn't hurt. :-p

mr_snake3rd
January 8th, 2006, 23:36
We may have too wait a while for the hdd cuz sony are releasing the 4 and 8 gb sticks and marketing them for the psp, so why would they do that if they plan to make a hard drive?
But yeah a psp screen that wont scratch and smudge as easy, also a camera would be ace, although its more of a luxury then a neccesity. Also the two anolgue sticks is a great idea, cuz aswell as fps i heard fighting games dont work so well too.

J sims
January 8th, 2006, 23:53
what every one has said so far plus more reliable button internals for the bottom row.It appears that every so often I have to remove the face plate and peel off what appears to be a strip of circuits that acts like buttons and reapply it because some how that fixes the problem of my psp having a select button that is always activated even though it is not physicaly depressed.

A touch screen made out of the same fingerprint resistant material PDAs use

Out of the box linux support

A fail safe chip that will contain a non writable flash that boots up when it detects a non working firmware in the other flash chips. This would prevent alot of bricked psps

A faster umd drive

Games that are made on a memory stick medium or solid state medium (doesn't have to be writeable simular ot the Nintendo DS). It is quite possible that they would be alot cheaper to make if they weren't made rewriteable. That way they can sell small games like lumines in a solid state form that will load faster and not eat up batteries.

overall more sturdy. Is it me or is it that the vast majority of people here experienced at least one problem with the psp's construction (broken analog sticks, power buttons,umd drives, scratch appear out of no where, non responsive square button). It feels like I purchased an old used car.

MaxSMoke
January 9th, 2006, 00:17
The 4GB drives are being phased out for 6GB and 8GB. Since the Memory Stick Duo's will be available in 6GB and 8GB versions, I imagine this means the 4GB firmware limit for the PSP is already in the process of being lifted. They'll probably add support for FAT32, or some other large disk format, soon. It'll probably be dual support, meaning that you'd only need to format your memory stick in the event you use one of the larger sticks.

I think it's a safe bet that, if the PSP was redesigned for a large harddrive, it would be at least 20GB. The only question is, where to put the drive? The PSP is already a pretty large and bulky device. Also they couldn't center the drive on the back, because of the UMD drive. I suppose this means a clip-on harddrive upgrade for existing PSP's is unlikely. They'll most likely have to release a completely new PSP, with the UMD door on one side and a tiny 1" harddrive on the other.

But no matter how they do it, the PSP is going to be larger. Even as amazing as the PSP is, does anybody want a larger one? It's a massive brick as it is!

so_cal_forever
January 9th, 2006, 00:36
Sorry for the second post, but I thought about this a month ago.

What about a foldable keyboard to make web browsing better? On top of that, why not add a slot to the keyboard to insert a memory stick to act as cache for the web browsing. I'd love to see this.

wilbur
January 9th, 2006, 00:46
:confused:
screw all this bullshit about hard drives, Sony obviously knows that mem stick technology is gonna get crazy soon and that the capacity of duos is gonna rise exponentially. They'll be shifting 20gig sticks a dime a dozen before you can say 'someone else in the office must have used my machine officer'.

what i'd like to see is

> 2 or 3+ duo slots in the side
> better on switch in better place
> 2 analogs which are more sensitive and wigglable
> a better system to rip and get mp4 video onto psp quickly and easily
> smaller screen pixels and enough gout to get games like god of war going
>much more usb functionality (attachable camera, mic, oh.....and one of those bleepy motion sensors out of Alien)

gotmilk0112
January 9th, 2006, 01:09
JSims Said: A touch screen made out of the same fingerprint resistant material PDAs use
Nintendo Would accuse Sony of being copy cat.

@Wraggster: didn't you say a TV-Out would be a 100% foolproff way to backdate t3h flash??

Chackan and mr_snake3rd both said:full homebrew support, no iso's tho
that is all
sony could do some thing where they would ditigally sign homebrew (basiclly "Aproove" it for the PSP) that way there would be homebrew on PSP but no ISO Loaders. :D

Sterist
January 9th, 2006, 01:16
idk how many times i gada say this lol the psp simply has NO open space internally, especially for a hard drive!!! the most open internal space you could probably find is the room to pry the battery pack out. now if ya wana try to tell me that room could be made for another chip (card, ect.) that might be possible, but thats still not a "hard drive"

Zephyroth_drgs
January 9th, 2006, 01:37
hd
big battery
free software support (homebrew)

wilbur
January 9th, 2006, 01:41
aaaah,
i reckon those little japanese silicon freaks are always finding new ways to pack more goods in than before. they've gotta, if only to make up for not having enough to pack into their own wives each night.

they could easily manage another duo slot. and did you see that mini 4/5gig moving parts hard drive on akihabara news that just came out from Jp? it was smaller than my thumb nail.

that's the least of their worries. it's all gonna be lasers, crystals and nano bots soon, you mark my words

Zephyroth_drgs
January 9th, 2006, 01:43
sorry bout double posting but i also want:

gsm support
buit in camera
a better digital pad
more space moving the analog
also anti scratch plastic

SchmuckofNI
January 9th, 2006, 02:17
Replacement UMD cases so I don't have to go out and buy a new game or movie whenever one breaks.

YourStillWithMe
January 9th, 2006, 02:44
Zephyroth drgs-I agree witht he camera. I'd love to take pics and save em on my psp directly

I'd just like longer battery and Homebrew Support

I dont care about isos much, the only one I ever did try was Lumines

birdcat
January 9th, 2006, 02:52
Personally I think this is crap. I don't really want them to come out with a new PSP. I plan on buying one a couple months, and then what? They bring out a new PSP later, and I'm screwed. Yeah some could say I should just wait, but why wait several months and then nothing comes? If anything, all I want them to do is release a firmware that allows homebrew, but blocks any illegal PSP games.

grayjaket
January 9th, 2006, 03:39
We may have too wait a while for the hdd cuz sony are releasing the 4 and 8 gb sticks and marketing them for the psp, so why would they do that if they plan to make a hard drive?

because it makes them more money?

"CHYES i just bought my new 8gb card...sweet..." *notices a new PSP hard drive thing just came out a week later* "CRAP!"

Nashxyzz
January 9th, 2006, 05:21
I've got 4 things for the list on what they should do (sry if i've repeated any).

1.) 2nd analog stick
2.) revamp the umd release mech.
3.) whatever will fix the sometimes quick load pausing in game cutscenes if it's the system.
4.) a media player built in (tired of always dealing with the off syncing from some videos)

phazey
January 9th, 2006, 05:44
Bluetooth: For file transfer, Wireless headsets, Networking via mobile phone.

Camera (180 degree's tiltable) for video conferencing or still photos/video recording

GPS capabilities

jwilds73
January 9th, 2006, 06:02
1. Built in Hard Drive

2. Homebrew support

3. PDA functionality (ie: touch screen, PDA software and stylus)

4: Add a IR port and universal remote feature

5. One hand ease of use for those wanting to use it as a MP3 player

6. TV output a must

7. Built in blue tooth.

8. And make it a cell phone also.

Then I can get rid of my PDA, Cell Phone and Remote.

grayjaket
January 9th, 2006, 06:07
Then I can get rid of my PDA, Cell Phone and Remote.

hahah. nice.

cloudd
January 9th, 2006, 08:51
1. Better scratch proof screen and replaceable.

The Turbo Express(portable turbo grafx) had the best type of scratch proof plastic screen. I still have mine and it has NO scratches on it I've used my shirt to wipe it off more than 600 times and it still has no scratches at all on it more than 10 years old. I have no idea what it is made of but it is made of the best plastic I have ever seen used. NEC and Hudson soft knew exactly what they were doing when they made that!

2. snap on flip screen cover when closed/ keyboard when opened

3. Higher D-Pad so you can hit the diagonals without bruising your thumb.

I think someone ****ed up when they designed the psp. 1 mm higher on the points on the D-Pad would make it perfect.

4. Touch screen
5. Memory stick pro slot...pro duo could be used with the converter

shadowprophet
January 9th, 2006, 09:19
The first thing that should be fixed
Is the price tag lol :p $150.00 seems fair enough :D

Outside, of that I would really like to see a/v support

10shu
January 9th, 2006, 14:00
hum...first thing sony should do is release at least one good game for the psp...instead of release a techincally new one and screw every single people who buy the original psp...:)

jimjamjahaa
January 9th, 2006, 16:32
av support. bring out the peripherals.

(alien style motion sensor. oh em gee. i would burst my bags if that was released)

echel0n
January 9th, 2006, 17:32
i agree about the screen thing, it's way too easily scratched and those stupid stickers may protect it but u cant see the screen well enough with them on

djub
January 9th, 2006, 18:00
Lift the HD size limit. Fix the door problems people have had. My hands feel cramped with games that use all the buttons frequently, Angloize it for our big, fat hands, silly big noses and round rolly eyes. They could get rid of the annoying autoloading of UMD when powering on. The wireless button slides on or off when holding PSP one handed with the left.
Chances are changes will be little more than cosmetic, like those of the PS1 and PS2. GBA has proven very successful in introducing the new GBA how many times?
The actual system has been the same for so long, just wrapped in a new package.

echel0n
January 9th, 2006, 18:07
haha i know it wont happen, at least this round, but imagine they made them so they would support HD/Blue Ray UMDs? can u imagine? :rolleyes:

ENGL!SH
January 9th, 2006, 18:26
Sony......Dont you dare bring out a new PSP : (

YourStillWithMe
January 9th, 2006, 20:03
I think that if a new psp or something of the sort comes out we should be able to trade in our psp and get a discount on the new psp like a rebate kinda thing. My brother has a deal like that for the Xbox360. He has to turn in his xbox and he gets a 200 dollar discount on it

Shadowprophet-Good to see you back on the forums man, your one of the good users on this site.

lilvietquoc
January 10th, 2006, 00:38
hm...ok heres my idea
wat if sony started puttin games to load from mem sticks
and get rid of the umd drive and replace it with a HD
so really, ur not adding to the bulkyness
but reinforce the memsticks
so it wudn't break
-but i guess it be more expensive since memsticks are already like....
*really expensive*
and think of that for every game
i think its kinda of a rip off to pay 200 bucks for a pyce of plastic and metal(dontcha thinK?)

and yea- replace the power switch
and make better plastic for the covers
and reinforced buttons
and maybe add another set of speakers for the heck of it =)~
(btw-wats the dots on the top edge of the psp for? just there for the heck of it?)

shadowprophet
January 10th, 2006, 02:31
I think that if a new psp or something of the sort comes out we should be able to trade in our psp and get a discount on the new psp like a rebate kinda thing. My brother has a deal like that for the Xbox360. He has to turn in his xbox and he gets a 200 dollar discount on it

Shadowprophet-Good to see you back on the forums man, your one of the good users on this site.

Well thankies YourStillWithMe :p
Ive always thought pretty highly of you too :p

Zephyroth_drgs
January 10th, 2006, 04:32
The first thing that should be fixed
Is the price tag lol :p $150.00 seems fair enough :D

Outside, of that I would really like to see a/v support

lol..... :D tought one :)

Voltron
January 11th, 2006, 08:43
I must first start out by saying that I prefer the PSP better than the new iPod although I do own the new iPod due to some of the PSP's weakness's. Some people argue that the PSP is pretty big. I think it is near perfect. If any changes are to be made to the PSP or whatever the new name would be I hope Sony does not increase the size. If they can improve upon and retain current size it would be best. With that said I have 4 things in mind that would make the PSP the #1 gadget. After I list my 4 desired improvements I will give reasons why I think they should be implemented.

1.) An improved LCD screen. No more dead pixels or color bleeding (ghosting)
2.) A 2nd analog stick on the right side
3.) More storage capacity. Either by large capacity (affordable) memory stick pro duo or an internal HDD.
4.) Improved buttons. D-Pad, shoulder, and square, circle, triangle, X

Now for why I believe these are important:
1.) The dead pixel issue requires no explanation. We deserve better than excuses such as it is common with LCD technology. The LCD screen suffers from color bleeding and ghosting whether you are playing UMD movies and games or watching MPEG-4 digital video files. Its not always that bad but still annoying. A better LCD screen could correct this. The new iPod has a great LCD screen. Very bright, clear and sharp and no bleeding.

2.) I think many would agree with me on this. If you look, there is seemingly plenty of room for a 2nd analog stick to be implemented. This would likely require a different place for the AC input and/or the power switch but that is not a big deal.

3.) This is probably on everybody's list. For good reason. Being limited to bulky 4GB add-on or external alternatives is not that practical for most people. And for the largest memory stick pro duo being only 2GB and so expensive, that is an insult. Again, this is where the iPod kills the PSP. The iPod is 30 or 60GB and even the 60GB version is impressively small and just $399USD. The cost for a PSP and 2GB memory stick would be $449USD. With all that the PSP can do, 2GB is insulting. And Sony wants to launch an iTunes-like service? Where are people supposed to store all that content? On their PC's to transfer a couple files at a time to their PSP and have to delete those to add anything else. That gets me so angry.

4.) Improving the buttons just means giving the PSP a better feel. Some of the buttons feel flimsy and delicate. There are also the reports of buttons getting stuck. Also maybe slight repositioning of a couple of the buttons. Basically, the PSP could benefit from a more DURABLE feel.

I hope Sony keeps an eye on these forums because a lot of great insight comes from them.

shadowprophet
January 12th, 2006, 08:13
lol if anything future handheld gameing will only get smaller and smaller. If you think about it. The psp IS nearly perfect.
But I can see future psp's being thinner with even bigger screens :D
If you think for one seconed this isnt possible just look at notepad computers.
palm top computers. tech is shrinking every day. and become more affordible to boot.
I think even if we could imagine what handhelg gameing will be like in ten years from now. We will truely be shocked so see what its really going to be like when that time gets here :D

Cap'n 1time
January 12th, 2006, 14:25
I think it needs a differant type of plastic surface so it does not get so damn greasy. A new D-Pad would be nice too. (CAPCOM is looking into some type of addon for sf3a btw).

Id also like to see it support more video file types and music.

echel0n
January 16th, 2006, 17:32
i read this article in a "p0pul@r" magazine about new technology with screens in electronic devices that could possibly be made from bendable material such as plastic that can be actually rolled up or folded for portability, then unrolled for use. Granted, this is concept stuff and seems very far fetched to me, but as long as I'm dreaming, what could you imagine a PSP or it's descendants to look like, say 10 or 20 years from now? what is the future of handheld gaming? just curious to hear other people's ideas.. :rolleyes: