PDA

View Full Version : Iris WIP News

wraggster
January 9th, 2006, 01:59
PSMonkey has posted some excellent screenshots of what will be his entry into our Coding Competition for the PSP, heres what he posted:

Well it's time to give you all an update & introduction to the project me, MGfox & Produkt have been cooking up recently (sorry if this anouncement is somewhat incohearent, i'm lacking on sleep atm).

So today I introduce to you Iris. Iris is a game built off the bsp rendering engine I have been working on for the past few months. The game is ment to be a simple yet fun 3rd person Deathmatch game for the psp. Old Quake mappers will have the additional fun of making their own maps & characters to use in the game. The maps are based on quake 3 bsp format & the character are based on quake 2 MD2 model format.

Insted of giving you guys some unoptimised quake 3 maps. MGFox & Produkt have steped up and created 3 wonderful maps that will be included in the release as well as the posibility of 2 more maps (if time permits).

Sadly due to time limits, our dcemu compo entry might more be an alpha then a real release (too much to do) but we plan to get a second build out asap to add what we want.

With out further delay, time to check out the screen shots !!

Check out the outstanding screenshots via the site here --> http://nemo.dcemu.co.uk/

DraconumPB
January 9th, 2006, 13:39
to psmonkey: don't forget to put wi-fi on the potential feature list!! =)

I know that would take forever to get working properly, but it is nearly obligatory for an fps ;)

Regardless it sounds like a groundbreaking piece of software! congrats!

Cap'n 1time
January 9th, 2006, 14:35
pspmonkey always has my love. keep up the good work :)

PSmonkey
January 9th, 2006, 15:12
to psmonkey: don't forget to put wi-fi on the potential feature list!! =)

I know that would take forever to get working properly, but it is nearly obligatory for an fps ;)

Regardless it sounds like a groundbreaking piece of software! congrats!

Actualy I am in a bit of a delima atm. Wifi to me is more important then bots (because more then likly my bot code will suck badly). Yet I am doutful I can get wifi code in for the compo. So i am not sure if I should try for wifi and get it halfway there or go for cheap bots just so the game is not bare.

cswindle
January 9th, 2006, 17:40
Hi PSmonkey, I am not sure if you have seen the adhoc code in SMSPlus, but you should be able to get something working based off that. A lot of the problems that I had was ensuring that the two emulators do not get out of sync, but as yours is a game engine that you have developed it should be a bit easier for you. You will however need to try and take into account latency and I would probably not recommend going down the route of sending information and waiting for it if you can help it as it has an effect on the framerate. Also I found that the PSP is happier sending several smaller packets than one larger packet, but I am guessing that the amount of information that you would need to send should be relatively small.

Chris

DraconumPB
January 9th, 2006, 20:40
I would do bots just so that the game is playable. Non-working (but existant) code will not, I imagine, be graded/judged. It's going to seem alot more fun + developed if you can play a full game... but buggy wi-fi play, while more impressive, will seem less polished.

Though that depends on how well you think you could get wi-fi working. If it would work -- at all -- then it might be worth it. But it's a tough call, so i understand your problem completely...

Then again, do we know the judge(s) will have access to other PSPs/co-workers/freinds/etc. to test wi-fi play, even if it was in the release? At least with bots, they could get started right away checking out the game and whatnot. I dunno.

Also, that way you can just keep the bot code in afterwards as an option..