PDA

View Full Version : New PSP Firmware Will Not Give Access To PSN for Custom Firmware Users

wraggster
October 15th, 2008, 22:27
Hmm some breaking news if indeed confirmed, seems that anyone who uses the new v5.0 firmware and in the future uses custom firmware will not get access to the PSN Store because of checks to see if your running an Official or Custom Firmware.

Interesting times ahead for the PSP scene what will the as yet unhackable consoles and now this, Are Sony finally getting their act together ??

mike_jmg
October 15th, 2008, 22:43
I've never entered to the PSN Store, even when it became available on the PC, why would I want to enter now through my psp

Tesseract
October 15th, 2008, 22:57
I was kinda worried about this... Hopefully a way can be found around it. Might be interesting if CFW can still be used with the PC store as it is now, but they may have closed that loophole as well.

Guess we can only wait for Mister Alex to do his digging.

seksmeup
October 15th, 2008, 22:58
You can get your stuff for free anyway. PSN store is useless.

tinman
October 15th, 2008, 23:03
This is not all that hard to fix, Alex could just make another firmware faker. Plus he doesn't want people illegally downloading games, hence why did not make the decryption for PSN games, he spoke out about how this was not a good thing to release. If not Alex them someone will.

jvabbdac
October 15th, 2008, 23:09
Anyway... psn store for pc still working ? I don't like piracy games, all games I have is on UMD, but I prefer CFW for emulators, and HB !!! If I can't buy games with my cfw, I will use it by other "way" ! Shame for sony !!!!

dangee
October 15th, 2008, 23:21
The chance of
ever seeing a 'Home-made Software' page on PSN
appears to be quite low

ICE
October 15th, 2008, 23:30
Meh..

carlitx
October 15th, 2008, 23:33
meh PSN store blows. I don't care bout this one bit. It aint stopin me from getting what i want on my memory stick.

MissingLink
October 15th, 2008, 23:45
dude thats the easiest fix in history before you put oficial firmware on all you do is erase the install log in the flash memoery then installed ofw there no more data of you ever having customfirmware

Veskgar
October 15th, 2008, 23:51
Not really worried about this. For many early adopters of the PSP and those who saw the PSP's potential not being tapped into properly by SONY, this feature is too late anyway.

Also, its possible that if you have a PS3, you can still download PSP stuff to the PS3 and THEN transfer from PS3 to PSP.

With that said, it still would be nice if circumventing this "check" is in the to-do list of some of the PSP scenes best and brightest.

Eviltaco64
October 15th, 2008, 23:58
Hmm, I installed the new firmware update and am downloading content from PSN on my PSP right now. It isn't that bad really.

Still, I'd rather have homebrew than this.

phsychokill
October 16th, 2008, 00:17
never use PSN on my PS3 for anything other than the free stuff so this makes no differance to me.

Illegal Machine
October 16th, 2008, 00:56
Does it really matter?

Probably like 5% of CFW users actually BUY games..

this is a B.S. tactic by sony as a last ditch attempt to estrange their loyal customers

jvabbdac
October 16th, 2008, 01:01
Thanks Veskgar, I forget about this !

I'm on 5% of this users !!! Piracy is a shame... But I have no problem with share games (but I have my own games), is nice if you can try the game before you buy it...Anyway ME, just ME, I like to leave my MS for other stuffs !

I buy a lot of games on ps3... For psp store I already buy Flow and Beats.. PSX classics I already have some psx games, so, is not fair buy it again just for play on psp !

Yeah... don't forget, I living in a poor country... And I'm poor too (not miserable, a lilte poor), I need to hard work to buy my games !

greed626
October 16th, 2008, 01:32
i don't understand why this is so hard. run official firmware with some day an updated time machine so you can still run 4.0m33 or even 3.90m33 (<3). i could still run time machine even with the official 5.0 and went and downloaded ape escape demo. their check didn't mean crap then.

Besides the PS Store on psp is a very nice way of luring people back to OFW. even i had to check this update out for myself, unlike the 4.00. Dax should release some fix in this firmware to stop downloaded ISO's from running, cause piracy is retarded

Veskgar
October 16th, 2008, 01:43
Dax should release some fix in this firmware to stop downloaded ISO's from running, cause piracy is retarded

ISO's are ISO's. Piracy is happening right now on just about every platform. Even XBOX 360 and Wii.

This feature of custom firmware is intended by DAX for PSP owners to rip their own UMD's to memory stick. He doesn't condone or support piracy.

DPyro
October 16th, 2008, 01:59
Doubt Sony can block cfw. Even if they can, you can always use Pandora to revert back to cfw.

jvabbdac
October 16th, 2008, 02:35
Good point Veskgar

andwhyisit
October 16th, 2008, 02:44
meh PSN store blows. I don't care bout this one bit. It aint stopin me from getting what i want on my memory stick.
Oh yeah. Pirates. **** off and buy your own games.

I'm on 5% of this users !!! Piracy is a shame...
Seconded.

Dax should release some fix in this firmware to stop downloaded ISO's from running, cause piracy is retarded
Seconded.

ISO's are ISO's. Piracy is happening right now on just about every platform. Even XBOX 360 and Wii.

This feature of custom firmware is intended by DAX for PSP owners to rip their own UMD's to memory stick. He doesn't condone or support piracy.
Some DRM on ripped games would be good, so that you can only rip your own games for that machine and not any others without using the original UMD.

Tesseract
October 16th, 2008, 03:04
I'm a proud contributor to the PSN. I've purchased Echochrome, fl0w and Beats on the day they were released and have not regretted it. tickles the Demo junkie in me as well. :D

I think restricting people from trying to pay for PSN releases with be terribly detrimental to trying to encourage people to lay off of piracy. It's a step in the right direction to make it easily accessible as they are, but would be a step back to tell a large portion of their player base that they have to straitjacket themselves with OFW just to play them.

Buddy4point0
October 16th, 2008, 03:10
I'm sure Dax can make the PSP fake it, he's managed things like this before.
If it doesn't end up solved it'll just mean more piracy... nice thinkin' Sony.

carlitx
October 16th, 2008, 03:11
Oh yeah. Pirates. **** off and buy your own games.

OK, look I spent my money on this thing that falls apart in my hand, I'm on my second about to go to my third. WHY buy a third if i think it's junk? I like the homebrew and capabilities. I think Sony owes me money. Besides i hardly ever even play a game on it that is not homebrew, i also buy games i support like Crisis Core FF7, or Tekken. Even though the games are garbage hardware, so it is nice to still have an ISO of my game after the piece of crap UMD falls apart in its original game case. So in response bite me.
What I DO, is my business. Not yours.

Exactly, as i said before, UMD's are a failure when it comes to being good hardware. So having backups of the games you like on your MS is a good thing.

jarshale
October 16th, 2008, 03:47
Agreed. My UMD drive doesnt even work anymore. What makes more sense playing the copies of those games I have on my MS or paying another $200 for a new psp

jvabbdac
October 16th, 2008, 04:16
I'm living in a poor country, and I'm litle poor too, but

Akoi Meexx
October 16th, 2008, 04:24
Actually, was nice picking up Wild Arms from the PSN Store. If they had more games available that were half decent, I'd buy more. Shame updating to CFW voided the signature file for my copy, but I should have gotten it after upgrading w/pandora.

Does it really matter?

Probably like 5% of CFW users actually BUY games..

this is a B.S. tactic by sony as a last ditch attempt to estrange their loyal customers

How do you figure it's a bullshit tactic that's estranging their loyal customers? Are you part of the 5% you quote?

OK, look I spent my money on this thing that falls apart in my hand, I'm on my second about to go to my third. WHY buy a third if i think it's junk? I like the homebrew and capabilities. I think Sony owes me money. Besides i hardly ever even play a game on it that is not homebrew, i also buy games i support like Crisis Core FF7, or Tekken. Even though the games are garbage hardware, so it is nice to still have an ISO of my game after the piece of crap UMD falls apart in its original game case. So in response bite me.
What I DO, is my business. Not yours.

At what point does the constant piracy that goes on become our business? When Sony starts taking measures like this to lock out CFW users that are just wanting to run homebrew? Of course people are going to be irritated by pirates because of this, and if you're going to openly admit it(pirating commercial titles), them you might as well accept that fact because it DOESN'T help the homebrew scene.

I'm not rebutting all of this to be argumentative, but to point out the fact that it's a system abused with no one taking responsibility. What the hell do you expect would happen? Eventually the developers that DO make it possible to run custom firmware will get tired of the rest of our bullshit, and just stop sharing the wealth.

Edit: And frankly, we would have it coming.

Edit 2: I'd also like to reiterate, I don't see an issue with using a backed up ISO of a game you purchased, granted you made it yourself. I'd like to see some of the restrictions as far as copyright infringement be lifted as far as that's concerned because of that very reason you stated Carlitx. I initially read your statement as "I'll run whatever I want without paying for it, so 'eff off". Sorry about that. ;)

carlitx
October 16th, 2008, 05:25
pffft, w/e the only games i downloaded was the ones i wanted to try before purchase to see if was good or not, after that it was deleted. If i liked it i bought if nto the ISO was deleted and gone. Yes i made my own, luckily enough before the crappy UMD's broke. And everyone is a pirate in some way, I'm sure you downloaded a song or tow in your life, or something of the sort. Do not judge what you do not understand.

On another note, i wonder if the mods give the people telling others to **** off and what not a little notice. if not than blah. ignore the harassment.

and from my first post that was merely stating a fact, a fact that all CFW users should accept..

TAzz MAN
October 16th, 2008, 05:29
This is interesting maybe sonys starting to crack down on cfw users maybe this would be a good time for someone to work on the utopia project or what ever its called

carlitx
October 16th, 2008, 05:31
This is interesting maybe sonys starting to crack down on cfw users maybe this would be a good time for someone to work on the utopia project or what ever its called

whats that?

TAzz MAN
October 16th, 2008, 05:41
whats that?

Its supposed to be a new kernel thats not made with sonys prxs if i remember correctly

Aryn
October 16th, 2008, 06:29
"This feature of custom firmware is intended by DAX for PSP owners to rip their own UMD's to memory stick. He doesn't condone or support piracy."

I know that he does not support piracy, but I do have a crazy suggestion. Perhaps DaX could have an encrypted list of games in his custom firmware (the list could be encrypted differently depending on the PSP's MAC address) that is updated whenever you insert a UMD in the drive and only allows ISOs for games that were inserted into the PSP in the first place to work? Piracy would be more difficult but those who purchase games can still play them from their memory stick, and the only people who suffer at all are the pirates. Well, those and people who frequently wreck their PSPs.

carlitx
October 16th, 2008, 06:44
"This feature of custom firmware is intended by DAX for PSP owners to rip their own UMD's to memory stick. He doesn't condone or support piracy."

I know that he does not support piracy, but I do have a crazy suggestion. Perhaps DaX could have an encrypted list of games in his custom firmware (the list could be encrypted differently depending on the PSP's MAC address) that is updated whenever you insert a UMD in the drive and only allows ISOs for games that were inserted into the PSP in the first place to work? Piracy would be more difficult but those who purchase games can still play them from their memory stick, and the only people who suffer at all are the pirates. Well, those and people who frequently wreck their PSPs.

hardeharhar. i do not purposely wreck the damn things. I keep them in protective case and hardly take them anywhere. They are just lousy hardware, i have friends who take just as good care, if not better care of theirs than mien and one or 2 of them have gone through allot more than i have. My first one the back light gave out and i never bothered sending it in for repair cause i hate waiting and depending on companies to do handy work. So i bought another, this one the power switch is near shot. And i do not condone piracy, i only like to try a game before purchase. As i said in my last post. but you never bothered to read that did you? Plus that idea you just had is a nice one, but it would take a hell of allot of time and work. It would be just as easy to trust people. Anyways I'm done arguing with you and others to try and show a point that you just don't bother to accept or you just do not read what i type. Besides i bet you have, like i stated before, have downloaded a video, song, or something off the net for free at one point, therefore making you a HYPOCRITE. And sorry for you, i do not listen to hippies.

Its supposed to be a new kernel thats not made with sonys prxs if i remember correctly
oh? so it's like a completely written OS for the PSP? wow thats pretty sweet i must say. I'm surprised Linux was not ported yet lol.

jamotto
October 16th, 2008, 07:20
I'm ok if CFW can't access the PSN, I'll just use my old psp for homebrew and get a new psp with ofw for the store and umd games I wish to play.

dejkirkby
October 16th, 2008, 10:26
I'm ok if CFW can't access the PSN, I'll just use my old psp for homebrew and get a new psp with ofw for the store and umd games I wish to play.
Comment of the day!
This was exactly my thoughts when I read the title.

Ryupowerup
October 16th, 2008, 12:30
PSStore to block CFW's? I think not. (http://sceners.org/?itemid=27)

PSStore to block CFW's? I think not.
There are some rumors around the net, that newest psp fw, 5.00, will block the access to PSStore to non-original firmwares.

It will be interesting to clarify that this is just a rumor, and it's most probably a fake information.

You'd might remember times where someone said that 3.00ofw was going to be THE firmware, unhackable, etc etc.

Well, atm, using the future systemctrl.prx for 5.00 cfw, it doesn't even blocks the partial cfw made by now, so from here it's interesting to confirm that you shouldn't believe on rumors. So, PSStore won't be a problem with future cfw's.

Source (http://forums.ps2dev.org/viewtopic.php?t=11122).

alanparker05
October 16th, 2008, 15:42
I wonder how much sony's profits drop by if the psp3000 is hacked!!!

jxx2005
October 16th, 2008, 17:38
Comment of the day!
This was exactly my thoughts when I read the title.

same here
i thought
hmm, well then
i guess this is a good chance to get a NEW psp
maybe i'll get a 3000 when they come out
*ponders*

(on a side note, any word on the northamerican prices for the 3000 yet?)

Sketchy
October 16th, 2008, 17:46
I wonder how much sony's profits drop by if the psp3000 is hacked!!!

I would expect Sony to MAKE money, atm the amount of ppl here that wont buy the psp3000 is because it's not hacked.

Once cfw is a reality on said console I'm sure plenty of ppl will be picking one up thus elevating psp3000 sales.

However if ur comment was based on profits brought in on games, i think that depends on how many ppl 'backup' thier games...

(on a side note, any word on the northamerican prices for the 3000 yet?)

Just the console its $179.99

However if your after one of the limited edition packs (GoW,Ratchet and Clank) or 4GB entertainment Pack
then your looking at $199.99!

peace

maxipower90
October 16th, 2008, 17:48
there encouraging pirates with this move

Sketchy
October 16th, 2008, 18:57
there encouraging pirates with this move

So what your saying is that because person x has a Dodge Viper, they are well within their right to exceed the speed limits??

Peace

carlitx
October 16th, 2008, 19:13
So what your saying is that because person x has a Dodge Viper, they are well within their right to exceed the speed limits??

Peace

i wouldn't say thats what he means. what he means is that if there is content on PSN that people with custom firmware want, but cannot access, obviously there is going to be an increase in piracy.

Oh and if i had a dodge viper I'd be breaking the speed limit all over the place lol.

PoorKingz
October 17th, 2008, 02:41
I would expect Sony to MAKE money, atm the amount of ppl here that wont buy the psp3000 is because it's not hacked.

Once cfw is a reality on said console I'm sure plenty of ppl will be picking one up thus elevating psp3000 sales.

However if ur comment was based on profits brought in on games, i think that depends on how many ppl 'backup' thier games...
Sony sells PSPs at a loss. It cost more to manufacter than it sells for. Software sales are supposed to make up for it