PDA

View Full Version : Visual Boy Advance GX 1.0.3 - GBA Emulator for Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Gamecube

wraggster
October 16th, 2008, 07:51
The Game Boy Advance and Gameboy Colour Emulator (http://code.google.com/p/vba-wii/) for the Nintendo Wii and Nintendo Gamecube has today been updated, heres the release info:

Visual Boy Advance GX is a modified port of VBA-M / VBA 1.7.2.
With it you can play GBA/Game Boy Color/Game Boy games on your Wii/GameCube.

-=[ Features ]=-

* Wiimote, Nunchuk, Classic, and Gamecube controller support
* SRAM and State saving
* Custom controller configurations
* SD, USB, DVD, SMB, GC Memory Card, Zip, and 7z support
* GBA compatiblity based on VBA-M r750, GB compatibility based on VBA 1.7.2
* Turbo speed feature

ื—–*—–*—–*—–* –*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*— *—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—–*—-*—–*-–•ฌ
|0Oื๘oท UPDATE HISTORY ทo๘ืO0|
`จ•จจจจจ จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ จจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจจ จจจจจจจจจจจจจ'

[What's New 1.0.3 - October 15, 2008]
* New timing / frameskip algorithm - should (hopefully) work 100% better!
* Performance improvements - video threading, PPC core partly activated
* Video zooming option
* Unfiltered video option
* 7z support
* Loading progress bars added

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

The_Engineer
October 16th, 2008, 10:05
No matter what advance game I start, I get the same or similar error in the Emu menu, "Seek Error - offset 001e0000 0o", then after pressing a button it bounces to a black screen with a data dump, "Exception (DSI) occurred!"

I am using a SDLoad.

Aside from the annoying screen flicker in the menu and the framerate problems on a lot of the games, version 1.0.1 seemed fine. Is there anyway you can just make the frameskip adjustable?

WhizzBang
October 16th, 2008, 18:33
In some emulators you can go into the options and choose your loading method (in your case SDLoad). Have you looked to see if that is an option?

kevindubrow
October 16th, 2008, 23:32
I'm not sure if it is the emulator's problem, but Mother 3 doesn't run well. Is anyone else having this problem?

ROCK
October 17th, 2008, 03:26
This runs on the Wii, Right?

The_Engineer
October 17th, 2008, 07:02
In some emulators you can go into the options and choose your loading method (in your case SDLoad). Have you looked to see if that is an option?

I make a habit of going into the preferences when I first get a new version of an emulator for the gamecube.

I just tested various configurations and they all resulted in the same error. This only happens on advance games, as color and GB games work perfectly. I tried several dozen advance games consisting of pokemon games, all the castlevania games and all the F-zero roms.

Innodent
October 20th, 2008, 18:15
First of all, I must say the nice, crisp unfiltered graphics mode is a VERY welcome addition. I hope it's here to stay. :thumbup:

Now here's the not so good stuff:

*GBA Images don't seem to run for me either. I get blank white screens instead of textual errors, however. (tried different images & SD cards)

*7zip Support doesn't seem to be working. I get "Error opening file" messages, when the same image compressed in zip works perfectly (GB/GBC only, of course). I'm using the author of 7zip's program to do the compressing using "maximum" mode.

What's related to GB/GBC emulation is excellent though. I don't remember the audio ever sounding as nice as it does now.

Tantric
October 22nd, 2008, 02:13
No matter what advance game I start, I get the same or similar error in the Emu menu, "Seek Error - offset 001e0000 0o", then after pressing a button it bounces to a black screen with a data dump, "Exception (DSI) occurred!"

I am using a SDLoad.

Aside from the annoying screen flicker in the menu and the framerate problems on a lot of the games, version 1.0.1 seemed fine. Is there anyway you can just make the frameskip adjustable?

I've fixed the 'seek error' for the next version. As for frameskip, if I made it adjustable you'd find yourself needing to adjust it every second or two as the CPU requirements of the game you're playing change. So no! Timing (frameskip) happens automatically. I'm working to improve the algorithm, however...

Elrond
October 23rd, 2008, 08:45
First off, magnificent work on the emulator tantric. You've done an amazing job and I love the 100% speed. :)
I have a couple of questions regarding this emulator.

1. Is the Unfiltered mode working properly? I am noticing via Mother 3 that the character's eyes are not the same size. One eye is bigger than the other, and the eyes alternate in size when walking down. With Filtered mode turned on, this problem is eliminated. I love the sharpness of Unfiltered mode. The Filtered mode makes my eyes feel weird, like I'm wearing the wrong glasses prescription lol.

2. I'm finding random black pixels appearing while navigating the emulator menus. This is also something I have experienced on the menus of your FCEUltragx and snes9xgx. The black pixels only appear over whatever words I am highlighting.

At first I thought my Wii had that GPU defect again, but I have already had my Wii repaired by Nintendo and these pixels only show up on your emulator menus, not during gameplay. This is not a complaint or anything, just pointing it out. You probably already know about it anyway. :)

3. I think I already know the answer. This emulator is meant to properly be displayed on a 4:3 ratio, right? I know the GBA itself had a slightly wide screen, but the games seem too stretched in 16:9 and look natural to me in 4:3. So 4:3 must be the right ratio to play in, right?

Thanks in advance for reviewing my questions!
BTW, I'm playing on a 40" 1080P LCD TV if that matters for question 1.

OopFjord
October 25th, 2008, 01:02
I created this on a bootable DVD, and am running it on the Wii in Gamecube mode. My GB and color GB games play perfectly (!) However, none of my GBA roms load; I just get the "could not load game" message.

Any tips or thoughts?

(nevertheless, very cool!)

CS23X
January 8th, 2009, 01:24
i need help it wont appear when i load homebrew channel