PDA

View Full Version : My Japanese Coach

wraggster
October 17th, 2008, 16:37
Newly released today:

http://image1.play-asia.com/170/7h/pa.134762.1.jpg

features
Explore Japan as each point of interest opens up your vocabulary
Learn to pronounce sounds unique to Japanese by comparing your voice to a native speaker
Develop your calligraphy skills as you trace over animations showing the proper way to write in Japanese
Participate in mini-games that will test your grasp of the structured lessons featured in the game
Use the built in reference tool to look up useful words and phrases

description
Learn Japanese in a fun and interactive way:
Using carefully structured lessons that guide the player through vocabulary and calligraphy exercises.
The basic pronunciations unique to the Japanese language.
Use the Nintendo DS stylus to write Japanese Hiragana, Katakana, and Kanji Characters.
Entertaining and relevant mini-games – play through a series of fun and informative mini-games that reinforces the lesson content for the player.

http://www.play-asia.com/SOap-23-83-2pz-71-ba-49-en-84-j-70-2vze.html

goshogun1
October 17th, 2008, 18:39
I have played a few lessons into it, and I am actually learning some words/phrases. That's not to say that it should replace formal classes, but it is a great place to start. I imagine when I am done, I will have at least a basic grasp of the Japanese language. It's sad that I hear many people on various forums bash the game w/o ever trying it, saying "LOL you can't learn Japanese on a DS." or "Why not take some real classes." "It's in Romanji, you can't learn it anything." (probably coming from someone who hasn't played and seen that there actually is Hiragana and Kanji included)

If a VOL.2 is released like My Spanish Coach, expect to learn even more! I think people need to realize the NDS is about much more than just games. I even hear they use them at schools in Japan for language learning among other things.

rancor01
October 18th, 2008, 04:45
I am currently in Tokyo at a Japanese school. Please tell me which school is incorporating this in their curriculum. I havent found any schools that use anything beyond a traditional school.
What I dont like about this game is that I got all 50 of the "placement" questions correct and it started me on lesson 11. Which is still WAAAY too easy. Yet, I cannot go to the next lesson without finishing lesson 11... Its so boring, I may not continue with this. Looking forward to Vol. 2 if it ever comes out..

goshogun1
October 18th, 2008, 19:20
I am currently in Tokyo at a Japanese school. Please tell me which school is incorporating this in their curriculum. I havent found any schools that use anything beyond a traditional school.
What I dont like about this game is that I got all 50 of the "placement" questions correct and it started me on lesson 11. Which is still WAAAY too easy. Yet, I cannot go to the next lesson without finishing lesson 11... Its so boring, I may not continue with this. Looking forward to Vol. 2 if it ever comes out..

I was wrong to base the idea that the NDS is being used in curriculum on an article I remember seeing about an all girl Junior-High in Japan that was using the DS to teach english. There are also tons of language learning and other learning programs coming out for the DS almost weekly, so I imagined some schools might use them as supplements at least, though probably not the main lesson. I am not familiar with Japanese Schools so you are right to correct me though. :o
But yeah, I can imagine this game would be annoying if you already have knowledge of the language. I know yes, no, and a few random numbers and words so its all new to me.