PDA

View Full Version : Who Recommends Updating to the Latest M33 v5.0 Firmware

wraggster
October 20th, 2008, 19:11
With any homebrew scene its always best to listen to those who use the homebrew every day and for this matter i ask you the DCEmu Public is it worth updating to this latest firmware, i myself have 2 homebrew PSPs which are on v1.50 and a 3.xx firmware, is this firmware worth the updating and whats the good and bad points to this release.

answers as usual via comments

Mr. Shizzy
October 20th, 2008, 19:26
Well yeah. All future devs will be supporting 5.00 m33.
themes will be updated before long...

Plus having the Playstation store right on the XMB is pretty damn cool.

Also, this is a must have update for SLIM owners, as it allows for full screen TV out now :D

lostless
October 20th, 2008, 19:29
I recommend not upgrading just yet. The psn store is neat, full screen ps1 games full screen is very nice, but half my ps1 games just don't work anymore. Either they crash right after bootup, or after the first loading screen. I know many others having the same issue. So I say stick with 4.01 M33 until a new popsloader comes out to load the 4.01 or earlier popstation in. Otherwise all other home brew seems to work just fine.

lostless
October 20th, 2008, 19:31
Also, this is a must have update for SLIM owners, as it allows for full screen TV out now :D

Only for ps1 games though. homebrew and PSP games still are not.

stanfy86
October 20th, 2008, 20:37
if thats the case, "slim owners should get it for the ps1 vid-out" then i'd much rather just upgrade from 3.71 m33 -> 3.8 m33 and use fusa. the 3.71 pops is still the best so far.....

alanparker05
October 20th, 2008, 21:05
Untill my favourite homebrew is converted to work on 5.00 i'll be sticking to 4.01

shadowriffe
October 20th, 2008, 21:42
I don't like the new icon. I'd wait to update until there are some themes that make the PSN icon conform to the icon scheme, or a new version of CXMB. The features are neat though, but I felt more at home with 3.90 M33

mike_jmg
October 20th, 2008, 22:00
I upgraded to 4.01M33-2 not long ago, and I just left my psp with the custom theme and plugins the way I wanted, so I don't really want to, cause I'll lose all that. Also I don't see much improvement on the new firmware so I guess I'll stick with 4.01M33-2 until I need to update

pimp12
October 20th, 2008, 22:09
Ima just stick wit 3.90 M33.

watupgroupie
October 21st, 2008, 00:03
I was on 4.01 M33-2 until this upgrade and its muchh better. All of my homebrew still works, all of my games still work and i got access to the playstation store now. Plus on 4.01 M33-2 it was all bugged up for me, USB would crash it, skype wouldn't work right and leaving it would also crash the psp. And a couple of other things that are all fine now.

TTownEP
October 21st, 2008, 00:22
I wanted to update because I could use the TV shows I had bought from the PSN store on my PSP. It was not allowed in 4.01 so upgrading to 5.00 lets me watch my shows on the go. The PS Store is really handy, and muuuuuch faster than the crappy little PSP website where the demos and stuff were before.

greed626
October 21st, 2008, 00:30
Well lets face it. 3.90m33-3 has the most programs, themes, ps1 games, etc, tested and working on it. 5.00m33 has very few themes from it being brand new. not to mention the PS Store is only good if your looking for a new game to buy. A demo here or there is not some highlight of a firmware

i'd only ever upgrade if a time machine upgrade had 3.90m33 as a option

seksmeup
October 21st, 2008, 00:35
I would rather run 5.00 on TM or something.. The lack of customization, not to mention the new scrambled prx offsets can be a pain to tackle. Editing themes isn't as simple as before, and for some people.. seems like PSN is banning accounts who are logged in via CFW. The incompatability is also a pretty big issue. I will upgrade once they get something like Flash 9 or divx/xvid support.

GibsonSGKing
October 21st, 2008, 01:22
I would rather run 5.00 on TM or something.. The lack of customization, not to mention the new scrambled prx offsets can be a pain to tackle. Editing themes isn't as simple as before, and for some people.. seems like PSN is banning accounts who are logged in via CFW. The incompatability is also a pretty big issue. I will upgrade once they get something like Flash 9 or divx/xvid support.

which sony never will because theyre too cheap to get the license for it -_-

Mr. Shizzy
October 21st, 2008, 01:44
If anyone is having trouble with PS1 Games on 5.00 m33, then check this out for a fix:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167654

wolfpack
October 21st, 2008, 02:25
doesnt 4.01 have a save issue where cannot load previous saves to some psp games from the previous firmwire?

....correct me if im wrong, i know one of the firmwires had that issue

zelion
October 21st, 2008, 02:37
I noticed that the POPS has changed a bit in 5.00. Dragon Warrior 7 will not show text boxes or menu screens anymore for some odd reason.

If anyone is having trouble with PS1 Games on 5.00 m33, then check this out for a fix:

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=167654

I tried the fix, it may just be for the save icons or whatever. DW7 Still has no menus/text. Oh well, I can just downgrade back to 4.01

Buddy4point0
October 21st, 2008, 02:40
I would definitely recommend updating.
When you do, be sure to install the POPs fix. I also installed the 1.5 kernal but I'd say it's rather pointless and only getting less important as more and more homebrew are fully supporting later firmware versions.
With the POPs fix everything seams to be working fine again. At least all the games I've tried work perfectly fine and it's an easy fix.

If you use custom themes, they'll be messed up at the moment. I just installed the plugin to let my use the PSP 2000 backgrounds on my PSP 1000, with that and the new waves my PSP looks really nice, even with the default theme.

RemoteJoy lite still completely works with this firmware, as does almost every plugin I've tried. The only ones that didn't work have already come out with 5.00 m33 versions so if you're worried about that, relax, you'll be ok.

Overall, I would definitely recommend updating to 5.00 m33, just make sure you keep up to date with anything new that comes out for it, such as the pops fix and the savestate fix. I can't wait to see what DAX throws at us for 5.00 m33-2!

Download Links to extra files:
POPs Fix (http://rapidshare.com/files/155010568/popcorn.prx)
SaveStates Fix (http://rapidshare.com/files/154982316/pspstates2_500.rar)
1.5 Kernal Addon (http://rapidshare.com/files/155242372/150k_addon500.rar)

Theredbaron
October 21st, 2008, 04:08
It seems a bit buggy to me. I keep crashing alot when listening to music, something that never happened to me one 4.01.

MicroNut
October 21st, 2008, 08:17
I tried it and liked everything except the lack of popsloader.

Wally
October 21st, 2008, 09:17
5.00 M33 is by far my fav custom firmware.. its a 5 and a .00 for goodness sakes!

You people have to understand that its not just a firmware update, DAX applies his M33 fixes to the firmware as well.

Wally

justicejoe
October 21st, 2008, 13:00
im stayin at 3.90m33 untill irshell gets n update or a replacement xmb comes along that does better.

seksmeup
October 21st, 2008, 13:14
5.00 M33 is by far my fav custom firmware.. its a 5 and a .00 for goodness sakes!

You people have to understand that its not just a firmware update, DAX applies his M33 fixes to the firmware as well.

Wally

You have to understand that just because it is as higher firmware version number, doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.

dmac
October 21st, 2008, 14:53
hey is it possible to get your user name banned by using playstation store with CFW? If so I might go back to 3.80 M33. I don't want any chance of getting banned.

jak66
October 21st, 2008, 20:28
im stayin at 3.90m33 untill irshell gets n update or a replacement xmb comes along that does better.

You'll be waiting for a long time for an iR Shell update, closest you'll get to it is NervOS (good in it's own right, but I still prefer iR Shell myself).

o1mlc
October 21st, 2008, 21:13
I've got 5.00 M33 on my slim and as everyone says, it's simply a matter of time re. Popsloader...

...my problem is that unlike 3.80/3.90/4.01 M33 you cannot patch the fatmsmod.prx to give you the memory stick performance of 3.71. If you've never noticed te difference, it'll probably not bother you (still way faster than UMD), but I notice it all the time, especially on games I've played to death (FFT, EG2, GTA-VCS etc.)!

DAX is still the king, but I hope he'd do a patch for 5.00 M33 in respect of the memory stick driver. "Alek" over at DAX's site has said DAX has no plans for a patch, and that it would need to be done from scratch again as the file is no longer fatmsmod.prx, it's fatms.prx - apparently not just a name cahnge, the file is different...perhaps a gear up re. downloadable content from PSN?

So 4.01 M33-2 with all the patches if you want A1 performance, but 5.00 M33 if you want the features...plus the new wave kicks ass...!

Wally
October 21st, 2008, 21:38
You have to understand that just because it is as higher firmware version number, doesn't necessarily mean that it's better.

You missed my point entirely..

Dax applies some new fixes to the later M33 firmware instead of adding patches to the older ones.

I know later firmwares aren't always better but when people stick to 3.40 OE or 3.52 M33 and never try the latest firmwares well they might as well stick their feet in glue and never move again.

Then again, sometimes waiting for the first patch isn't always a bad idea.

Wally

midnitdragoon
October 21st, 2008, 22:25
i always update to the latest CFW...lets you play up to date games and crap. pluse why stay on a certain version for psx compatibility? You can just yous pops loader etc.

i recommend you update.

jamotto
October 21st, 2008, 23:49
Plan on upgrading once I find a game that won't run on 3.71, so far every game runs fine. I plan on trying Midnight Club and Star Ocean to see if they run soon.

Stone Temple Pilots
October 22nd, 2008, 00:27
I updated and I really like it, but I want a POPSloader.