PDA

View Full Version : Solution so homebrew can prevail, and piracy still be shot down.

Tromedlov
January 9th, 2006, 23:26
All of you know this but, Sony is trying to solve piracy problems by requiring firmware updates to play certain games. But, when shooting down piracy, they are also shooting down homebrew. This is a possible solution that would allow homebrew to stay alive while piracy gets killed.

Sony would sell an alternate memory stick that is too small to fit ISO's onto. The memory stick would act as a key, unlocking the firmware encryption on the PSP so it can run homebrew. The memory stick would be highly encrypted so you couldn't try to simulate it on a regular memory stick. Programming software would be included with the memory stick to allow us to easily make our own games.

KenshinKajima
January 10th, 2006, 02:01
THAT WAY WE ONLY ILLEGALLY DOWNLOAD NINTENDO GAMES!!!! MARKETING GENIUS!

not a bad idea, though i'm not sure sony likes homebrew either.

IndianCheese
January 10th, 2006, 02:36
They don't.

Killing2Live
January 10th, 2006, 05:20
I dont see why people freak out about PSP ISOs and piracy, when computer piracy is 100x worse and everyone seems to talk about it without even thinking twice.

Produkt
January 10th, 2006, 22:08
indeed...

Seriously sony would rather us buy more games than stop piracy...

shiftybill
January 22nd, 2006, 04:59
I think piracy is a trend for $ony and one they rely on to give them some extra market penetration when entering a new playing field, ie. handheld.

yaustar
January 22nd, 2006, 12:07
Not sure that would work. Sony lose money per PSP unit sold, they can only get their money back games.Also what would stop memory stick swapping, someone will definity be able to code an app that boots from the encypted MS and then hot swap to an standard MS.

Produkt
January 22nd, 2006, 18:29
only lugit "HomeBrew" would be based on a UMD disk...thats the only way sony can stay secure...

chances for that are next to nothing

gotmilk0112
January 23rd, 2006, 01:15
my idea is: people (homebrew developerz) would send homebrew EBOOT(s) to $$$ony and they would sign it so it would work on any firmware. but then people would probably send viruses to sony or decrypt the signed EBOOT and get some kind o' spoofer and sign EVERY homebrew EBOOT. just an idea tho.

P.S. about the sony mem stick thing, people would just say to themselves: "Hey, i dont HAVE to use sony's gay anti-iso memstick" and piracy would continue. :(

STOP PIRACY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!