PDA

View Full Version : Tom Clancy's EndWar invades DS, PSP on Nov. 4

wraggster
October 21st, 2008, 00:38
http://www.blogcdn.com/www.joystiq.com/media/2008/10/endw_psp_screen_annc-490.jpg

Fans eager to engage in some voice-activated, real-time strategy on their favorite handheld systems ... will have little interest in the rest of this post! Ubisoft has detailed the PSP and DS versions of Tom Clancy's EndWar -- both of which launch alongside their bigger console brothers on November 4th -- and made it apparent that warmongers on the go are in for a markedly different experience.

Developed by Funatics Software, the portable pair presents "turn-based strategy with a twist," allowing simultaneous move and attack phases which render the experience as intense and authentic as real-time strategy -- it says here. Other relevant features include three campaigns, over 20 units per faction, a two-player versus multiplayer mode, a mission editor, stylus controls on the Nintendo DS and, judging by the screenshots, somewhat less realistic graphics. Who knew advanced wars could be so colorful?

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/20/tom-clancys-endwar-invades-ds-psp-on-nov-4/

Buddy4point0
October 21st, 2008, 02:58
It would seam as if this will be the first game to make use of the new PSP 3000's built in microphone. At least that's my guess.
This "voice-activated, real-time strategy" would appear to make good use of the new feature for PSP 3000's but I guess the rest of us on our 1000's and 2000's are left to ear pieces and headsets.

With the voice activated technology in mind, and the PSP 3000's built in microphone, maybe this will spark more and more games to start using the microphone as a feature. If so, hopefully sony will release a nice headset for the PSP 1000 and 2000 users.

On my opinion about the game, RTS' are fun, normally, but I'm definitely not a fan of this ones bright and unrealistic graphics.
Controls for RTS' on PSP have been a problem and I doubt this one will bring much of a solution.

I can definitely see how the DS version will make good use of the stylus for controls and who knows, maybe the voice controls will actually work well and fix the PSP's button problems.

jamotto
October 21st, 2008, 06:17
Everything I have read says this will be a TBS that is not voice activated. It seems similar to Field Commander in some respects.

paladinja
October 21st, 2008, 18:35
Looks like the recipe is:
- Open one (1) pre-made package of "advance wars"
- Turn it 45º
- Add a smattering of piss & vinegar
- Serve

jamotto
October 21st, 2008, 23:56
Looks like the recipe is:
- Open one (1) pre-made package of "advance wars"
- Turn it 45º
- Add a smattering of piss & vinegar
- Serve

Imitation is a form of flattery, besides you sometimes get better games to boot.

pibs
October 22nd, 2008, 07:38
so are they doing the whole voice recognition or what?
its kinda silly imo for a portable since you would kinda look like a crazy person talking to yourself haha

@jamotto: that is completely true, just sometimes you just wish they wouldn't imitate a game that was crappy to begin with.

wolfpack
October 23rd, 2008, 14:13
I dont really care about graphics

I actually like it when games look like this :)

Gameplay > Graphics
Thats the way it should always work in my opinion :)