PDA

View Full Version : Dr. Phil Tackles Game Addiction

wraggster
October 21st, 2008, 00:43
Dr. Phil loves the video games, or rather the amount of attention gamers give him when he talks about them. In today's episode he tackles the dangers of computer game addiction, with the entire show dedicated to people who play games when they probably shouldn't be. The show starts with a virtual Dr. Phil complete with a sword and hair talking about how virtual games let you escape from reality before launching into the story of l34-year-old Fred, who sits at home and plays World of Warcraft all day while his wife supports their three children.

“Apparently he’s got you supporting him and taking care of the house. I wonder what level that is in the real world,” Dr. Phil quips.

Other stories include a 41-year-old man who accumulated $24,000 in debt and attempted suicide, the author of the book "Game Widows", and the return of special guest Liz, whose 21-year-old son killed himself while playing Everquest. Hit the link for the full show notes.

http://kotaku.com/5065971/dr-phil-tackles-game-addiction

wolfpack
October 21st, 2008, 01:12
Hey now, Everquest wasnt bad, dont blame the suicide on that game!

Besides, life triggers suicide, not the games

osgeld
October 21st, 2008, 04:28
aye really, now SWG i could understand

being yelled at constantly because all you could see was grass and monster ass

or even horizions, spend months bringing rocks TO the mine to excavate it (head pops)

mike_jmg
October 21st, 2008, 06:12
that made me remember the Southpark episode about World of Warcraft LOL

But your wife supporting you and three kids, while you're playing WOW all day. That really deserves a level or rank on real life. Still it's very wrong.

You just need to play games only on your spare time, there are things you have to do wether you like it or not.

uberjack
October 21st, 2008, 17:06
Most educated people in the US see Dr. Phil for what he is - an attention-starved media whore.

As they say on slashdot, "move along, nothing to see here"

sonofsamus
October 21st, 2008, 22:51
134 year old Fred? Let him play his WoW.

PoorKingz
October 22nd, 2008, 02:11
My mother made me watch this. She thought to show me how videogames destroy peoples lives. If someone drinks constantly as their life crumbles away, who's fault is it? The alchohol or the person abusing it?

StryfeDc
October 22nd, 2008, 04:10
I wouldn't let a mass media pop psychologist try to tell you that (a) video game(s) will ruin your life.

Psych 101 - "Correlation is not causation". :rofl:

ICE
October 22nd, 2008, 04:58
Psych 101 - "Correlation is not causation". :rofl:

Indeed.

Id like to tackle Dr. Phil.

jamotto
October 22nd, 2008, 06:43
Just take what Dr. Phil says with a pinch of salt.

"Correlation is not causation"

It's "Correlation does not imply causation". You can't have causation without correlation.

StryfeDc
October 23rd, 2008, 03:02
Which of these two statements is true by formal logic?

1. All mammals are warm-blooded. All brown horses are mammals. Therefore all brown horses are warm-blooded.

2. No stars are planets. Some celestial bodies are not planets. Therefore, some celestial bodies are not stars.

Even with a covary of (+/-1.00), causation is never implied.

People shouldn't get their psychological advice from tv...