PDA

View Full Version : So What Happened to the Newton Xbox 360 Motion Controller?

LyonHrt
October 21st, 2008, 14:02
It has been a while since I have typed the name "Newton” as in the semi-secret Xbox 360 motion controller wand project. So what happened to Newton?

There are two possibilities:
1. It was delayed and they are still working on it. Either the software or games is not ready.
2. It was canceled and it will never reach market. They might have decided that it was not going to work in the Xbox accessory lineup.

At PAX 08 all of the Microsoft folks that I talked to would clam up at the mention of the Newton code name. I have no doubt that the Newton project is either still going on or was real at one point before being put on hold or canceled out right. I have seen evidence of them building hardware and I think that they invested more resources than if it was just a research and development project.

They unveiled that the game Ninja Blade does not use the Newton controller nor does Banjo Kazooie : Nuts and Bolts. Also the fact that they are making another Sceen It! game that will ship with the Big Button controller is another sign that the Newton is not on track.

They might end up using the research from the Newton project on project Phoenix (the third generation Xbox AKA 720) or it might be introduced in 2009.

The Opus motherboard is out, they are working on Valhalla, Lips is out soon but not every video game hardware project in development makes it to market. I am still waiting for that Super Nintendo CD-Rom drive.

Source 8bitjoystick (http://www.8bitjoystick.com/).