PDA

View Full Version : SCEI: PSP Brite's scanlines caused by hardware, no plans to fix

wraggster
October 21st, 2008, 16:10
Though SCEA is still "looking into the problem," Sony's Japanese headquarters (SCEI) has released a statement describing the PSP-3000 (a.k.a. PSP Brite) scanline issues as being part and parcel of the new hardware. "PSP-3000 has a new LCD device with vastly improved picture quality, achieving a more natural and vivid picture than older models," said the statement (via Engadget Japan). "By improving LCD response time to reduce ghosting, the horizontal-line phenomenon becomes more visible."

Turns out, phenomenon means "no fix in sight." According to Sony, "Since this phenomenon is caused by hardware characteristics, there is no plan to fix it with system software update." We'll be interested to see if Sony of America (SCEA) has anything different to say.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/21/scei-psp-brites-scanlines-caused-by-hardware-no-plans-to-fix/

yakumo
October 21st, 2008, 16:32
Well. So I don't have to wait to get money for a PSP-3000. Sony, don't count on me.

kyyubidx
October 21st, 2008, 17:51
The scanlines aren't as bad as people paint them to be... I bought my FIFA 09 PSP Brite. I'm playing Crisis Core and I hardly notice the difference... The colors look more vivid and there's no shadowing... It's all well and good if you ask me... Even FIFA 09 in be a pro mode is playble very well... I think people are overdoing it a bit...

chris-007
October 21st, 2008, 18:18
The first GP2X had a similar problem.

Veskgar
October 21st, 2008, 18:43
Well, SONY loves hardware revisions. So if enough people make a fuss about this I'm sure there will be a revision some time down the road.

I will have to hold one of these in my hands and judge for myself. I'm a perfectionist and little annoyances are a big deal to me. If this is something that is hardly noticeable I may look past it. But if its obvious on most games, I won't be getting a 3000 until they revise the hardware to fix this issue.

b_simpson1999
October 21st, 2008, 19:51
is this promblem to do with tv-out option am guessing i havnt really decide if i get 2000 or 3000 got to get money first lol

kyyubidx
October 21st, 2008, 20:00
I just played FFT on my 3000 and the game looks sweet... Dunno about other people...

Shrygue
October 21st, 2008, 21:54
Well, I'm not sure about it but if it's the screen alone, Sony could just tell Sharp or whoever manufactures the 3000 series PSPs' screen and fix the problems with it. If it's not the case, I'm not sure what else is causing the scanline problem. Of course, seeing that Sony won't address the issue right now, it looks like it's just going to stay the way it is now. Just my guess.

mike_jmg
October 22nd, 2008, 01:45
I smell a new harware revision PSP 3500 LOL

but seriously, I've never seen ghosting wether on my slim or my phat, the screen on the slim is slightly better but I don't really know what people complain about, it should be the same with the 3000

osgeld
October 22nd, 2008, 04:33
I smell a new harware revision PSP 3500 LOL

but seriously, I've never seen ghosting wether on my slim or my phat, the screen on the slim is slightly better but I don't really know what people complain about, it should be the same with the 3000

you can see it pretty well, that is if your looking for it on oldschool type homebrew games, where there might be a lot of white on a black background

but most of the time i can detect its there, but its never been anything for me to complain about, course the last handheld i owned was a first model GBA, which ghosted like a crappy watch, when you could see its reflective screen, so i might be a bit bias

chuggman
October 22nd, 2008, 05:54
Figures sony wouldn't fix these... good thing I don't need a new psp to play new psp games. I guess with this edition of the psp the microphone is built in. It seems to me the next step for Sony would be to make the psp 4000 a full fledge phone or maybe add tilt n tumble to the psp. What I really want though is a psp that lasts 24 hours on a single charge in full brightness 333 game mode(this of course without making the psp any bigger or making the battery hang out).