PDA

View Full Version : Let's Japanese Lifetime Console Sales Figures!

wraggster
October 21st, 2008, 16:27
Yes! Let's! A report issued by Famitsu publishers and all-round industry analyst types Enterbrain has given us the lifetime sales figures for the current generation of Japanese consoles. Handhelds, too. And, just for good measure, the PS2. They serve to put a few recent trends into perspective. For one, the 360 - which is the fastest-growing console in the country, with sales up 157% in recent months - has still been outsold by the PS3 3:1. And for all the PSP's recent chart domination, the DS is still kicking its ass. And that's not even counting DS Phat sales.

The total figures are:

PS2: 21,454,325
DS Lite: 17,080,747
PSP: 10,181,888
Wii: 6,826,612
DS: 6,449,206
PS3: 2,369,484
Xbox 360: 748,992

http://kotaku.com/5066232/lets-japanese-lifetime-console-sales-figures

dejkirkby
October 21st, 2008, 17:15
To be quite honest, the PSP has done remarkably well against an established, dominant competitor.

inlovewithi
October 21st, 2008, 18:41
To be quite honest, the PSP has done remarkably well against an established, dominant competitor.

But back when the PSP came out Sony did say that it wasn't going to be fair for Nintendo, having to compete with them.

dejkirkby
October 21st, 2008, 19:34
But back when the PSP came out Sony did say that it wasn't going to be fair for Nintendo, having to compete with them.
And don't all companies/sportsmen/politicians say that?

inlovewithi
October 21st, 2008, 20:11
And don't all companies/sportsmen/politicians say that?

Um no. Not like Sony, they sound more like the WWF. Other companies usually try to sound politically correct. I'm not trying to bash Sony either.

nomi
October 21st, 2008, 21:28
But the sony psp was remarkably better then the DS but sony just couldn't deliver the content and couldn't deliver the support it required for success. The psp from all point of views could have thrashed the ds had sony thought a little in the future. Im no psp fanboy and own both ds and psp, but thats just my point of view. Sony couldn't deliver the right punches according to me.

gutbub
October 22nd, 2008, 14:23
Opinions opinions. Lets take a look at the numbers. Whats that, DS and DS Lite are two different categories? Yet PS2 is only one? Why? I seem to remember PS2 having a Phat version, and a Slim version. Somehow, the same rule doesn't apply for DS?

In the real world, DS has outsold PS2. I'm started to get tired of these "facts" where for whatever reason, Playstation is given an unfair advantage of grouping whatever consoles they feel the need to.

Veskgar
October 22nd, 2008, 18:21
Well, this shows the PSP is definitely not dead or a failure. I think the PSP will be gaining a new momentum very soon if not already.