PDA

View Full Version : Microsoft Cracking Down On Pirated Software in China, Probably Starting WWIII

wraggster
October 24th, 2008, 00:44
Microsoft has expanded its latest WGA initiative — you know, the one that turns your computer off screen black every hour — to China. An guess what! Since the majority of Chinese computer users run unauthorized copies of Windows, they're kind of upset. Of course, there are plenty of good discussions to be had about how measures like this could affect Microsoft's image and limit computer access in poorer parts of the world, but one awesome Chinese blogger/aspiring economist sees things differently:

If the price of genuine software was lower than the fake one, who would buy the fake one?
Someone should tell Microsoft!

http://gizmodo.com/5067539/microsoft-cracking-down-on-pirated-software-in-china-probably-starting-wwiii

gutbub
October 24th, 2008, 01:33
They're China. They make up almost 1/4 of the world's population. You're gonna tell me that none of them can create an operating system?

Also, if I were Microsoft, I would be mad too. Lets say only 10% of the Chinese copies are fake. That's 150 million fake copies. 150 million times that they didn't get $100. I'm pretty sure that if somebody stole $15,000,000,000 from me, I would be more than mad.