PDA

View Full Version : Bricks-OS - Operating System for Many Consoles

wraggster
October 24th, 2008, 02:31
Hmm found this news at GBAdev (http://forum.gbadev.org/viewtopic.php?t=16166) and seems very interesting, Bricks OS is a Operating System for Many Consoles, heres some release info:

Hello Everyone,

I would like to announce the Bricks-OS project. Bricks-OS is an operating system for game consoles.

The list of currently supported game consoles:

- Gameboy Advance
- Nintendo DS
- GameCube
- Playstation2
- Playstation Portable
- Wii
- i386 PC (not really a Game Console :-)

The list of current features include:

- Preemptive multitasking (even on the GBA and NDS)
- Message passing
- Hardware OpenGL implementation (on some consoles)
- Software OpenGL implementation (for all consoles not supporting hardware 3D)

Binary versions of the latest release (v0.0.3) can be downloaded, demonstrating a Software OpenGL implementation (GBA, GC, Wii, PC, PSP), and a Hardware OpenGL implementation (NDS, PS2). The source can be downloaded using SVN, hosted by sourceforge.net.

Please take a look at my website for more information, screenshots and downloads:
http://bricks-os.org/

This is my first release, so please let me know whet you think.

Download and Give Feedback Via Comments

Demonic_Cr0w
October 24th, 2008, 02:43
I don't see the point of this release.. It has potential... I suppose...

Lastron
October 24th, 2008, 08:47
By 'operating system' does he mean too say that it works in a different way than the hardware it is running on?

Like a mac being used on a pc? (but without mac, and on game consoles)

Eric
October 24th, 2008, 11:34
Well its not a bad idea i guess. This will be good if games were only made for that operating system but that would be somewhat stupid to cause who would just want to make games for that operating system.

Good news for the operating system though it'll probably be able to run your NDS,GBA,PSP and so on software and might be able to organize your files a bit better but of course i dont have it running and i might not have it running.

If there is one system it would be desent on maybe the Dreamcast cause i've always wanted to see an Operating system run on Dreamcast and yes i know we have Linux,NetBSD,DOS and i think some others but i mean with a cool Windows GUI like system.

I hope this operating system well have many cool functions added to it things like picture viewing,movie player,music player and web. I know thats somewhat kickin the can for a homebrew creation but its something others may look for and its normal to see in OS's these days.

Anyways theres always gotta being some bad and some good to these types of things but anyone using this OS's might choose it over the bad.

Have a good one my friends

Eric