PDA

View Full Version : What's The Scariest Game You've Ever Played?

wraggster
October 25th, 2008, 12:09
It's almost Halloween. Well, not almost, but almost, time for TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, Kotaku reader person. You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Who knows!

Question: What's the scariest game you've ever played?

http://kotaku.com/5068621/whats-the-scariest-game-youve-ever-played

jaws365
October 25th, 2008, 12:30
The most scary game would be Project Zero on PS2. The best scary game would be Resident Evil 2.

newb_fo_life
October 25th, 2008, 12:41
F.E.A.R or The level on halo called 343 guilty spark,That was some crazy shit

240-185
October 25th, 2008, 12:54
The scariest game by its lameness: Action 52

The litterally scariest game: Dementium: The Ward with headphones

BastarB
October 25th, 2008, 12:55
F.E.A.R is scary, but the most scary game I played is without a doubt Condemned: Criminal Origins.
Monolith Productions rocks:thumbup:

shibby420182
October 25th, 2008, 13:02
D for the PSX, i got so into the game and its so suspenseful that my friends threw a pillow at me and i totally freaked. And that was my second play through on it.

irishwhip
October 25th, 2008, 13:30
System Shock 2
silent hil 2
damn pyramid head

mistac
October 25th, 2008, 14:03
Eerie scary has to be the Res Evil series. Actual scary is Dementium: The Ward.

evilmarshy
October 25th, 2008, 14:27
Siren 2, because of the 'Kou Yambito'. The scariest monster I have ever seen in a game. Though my favourite in terms of nostalgicly scary has to be Resident Evil: Directors Cut.

rtnario
October 25th, 2008, 14:46
"Clock Tower" series. 'nuff said. (do NOT count Capcom's Clock Tower 3)

devdj
October 25th, 2008, 15:01
the very first scary game i played was resident evil 2 on the pc and that i always played it in the dark which was just awesume and second would be silent hill 2 it was a true dark and scary game

Justise
October 25th, 2008, 15:43
3. F.E.A.R. extraction point PC
2. Silent Hill 2 PS2
1. Project Zero 1-3 PS2 (aka Fatal Frame 1-3 to the Amerikans)

Why the hell do they need to release the next project zero on the !@#ing Wii!....

mungrin
October 25th, 2008, 16:29
here,ill throw a few out there that no one mentioned.

Doom 64
Clive Barker's Undying
Doom 3

JDvorak
October 25th, 2008, 16:50
What about Phantasmagoria (banned in Australia) 1 & 2 (although 1 was better and scarier). Also Gabriel Knight 1-3 they were just awesome, especially 2 with the werewolves.

zillion94
October 25th, 2008, 17:49
I really like this thread and hope to try the games mentioned, especially F.E.A.R.- the little girl on the cover reminds me of 'Samara' from The Ring...

Quake II (with headphones) really scared me, but in an internal way- not finding my way out of a room, I hesitated to shoot the background gfx of a guy on a cross, but eventually tried it to see if it would open the exit- made me feel REALLY disturbed and I never played it again.

Chiller in the arcade also creeped me out, but I think the game that actually "jump scared" me the most is PAINKILLER (and don't laugh, I only played the demo!!)

Buddy4point0
October 25th, 2008, 18:02
Manhunt 2 with high quality surround sound headphones was pretty creepy.

davidcrew
October 25th, 2008, 18:06
super mario sunshine...

why so many liquid colors!?!??!

FEAR and Resident Evil games were up thar too. Silent Hill 2 =o

fpcreator2000
October 25th, 2008, 18:46
Silent Hill for the psone in a basement with surround sound, and a big window to my back with the outside pitch black. In this environment while you hear the voices of small children ghosts either crying, and/or laughing.

Gene
October 25th, 2008, 18:52
When I was 10 years old I was so excited to play resident evil. I got about halfway through the game and the excitement was gone. that night, I was shivering from fear and didn't fall asleep. then for the next 2 years I couldn't fall asleep unless I had a pillow over my head.

Then 4 years ago, I pulled the game out and did another play through.

Yup. Good times.

goshogun1
October 25th, 2008, 19:10
Siren: Blood Curse for PS3. Creepiest settings I have seen in a game. Especially when you play as the little girl having to listen for everything while hiding in little dark corners. That was the most panic inducing scene in a VG for me. :o

Sketchy
October 25th, 2008, 19:23
Not sure about scary. I've never been truely scared of playing a video game.

However, I've played many games that make me jump outta my skin!!

I'll agree with the FEAR ppl, those games were fantastic. Can't wait for Project Origin!!
However the best erie game I've played to date has to be Dead Space, it's one of those games that, for me, pushes all the right buttons!

Failedartifact
October 25th, 2008, 19:32
The scariest game would be Resident Evil remake. That game would make me stop playing it for weeks, becuase i knew something bad was going to happen.

jamotto
October 25th, 2008, 22:35
Alien vs Predator 2
Clive Barker's Undying
Thief 3 - The Cradle level

juiceface
October 25th, 2008, 23:47
doom3 had its moments

brandonheat8
October 26th, 2008, 00:32
clock tower 1 for the ps1, scariest game ever

havoc_012
October 26th, 2008, 00:46
3D sonic games. What did sonic do to deserve this. It was like watching a character commit name brand suicide over and over again.

Scariest game in terms of atmosphere: Resident Evil remake.

ojdon
October 26th, 2008, 02:08
Max Payne 1

*Shudders*

That game gave me the creeps, the bloody trial nightmare and the first level. D=

Aryn
October 26th, 2008, 02:35
System Shock 2 was pretty scary once you managed to get into it, the game does a good job of generating atmosphere and as you progress through the game the story of the setting you are in is told through recorded logs from people who either died or were mutated and occasionally through ghost images which add a little bit of eeriness to the game. Combine that with the fact that ammo is limited which adds a bit of suspense and makes the situation feel more dire.

Keitaro Urashima
October 26th, 2008, 02:00
The most scary game I ever played is Simple DS Series Vol 42 The Haioku Byoutou & Twilight Syndrome Kinjirareta Toshi Densetsu (both of them are DS).

Joe88
October 26th, 2008, 03:49
hrm

either one of the silent hill games
(2 or 3)

or doom 3

BlacknBlue13
October 26th, 2008, 04:16
Manhunt 2 (unblocked) and Resident Evil are high on the list of course, though I played my friend's wii play once and that scared the sh*t out of me!

Mincle
October 26th, 2008, 08:37
The piano in the ghost-house level in Super Mario 64 scared me everytime I was passing it and it started to "bark" at me!

yakumo
October 26th, 2008, 09:07
Alone in the Dark, the first for PC. Of course, I now have some age, but then I was younger.
Also Alien vs Predator playing with the marine made me very nervous.

Mew
October 26th, 2008, 10:35
Silent Hill 2 on PS2, no doubt!

$bro$
October 26th, 2008, 16:07
1. Silent hill 1 ps1
2. Resident Evil 1 ps1
3. Silent Hill 2 ps2

also these are 3 of the best survival horror games ever made

Spanishpeacock
October 26th, 2008, 18:17
Resident Evil Directors Cut. I still remember those dogs jumping through those windows the first time. And when the zombie busts through the closet door. Good times...
Oh, and F.E.A.R., just seeing that dude with his jaw missing was creepy enough, and then my pc would freeze when I got outside and knocked unconscious by that one dude, so I returned the game...

lipnox88
October 26th, 2008, 19:20
"Max Payne 1

*Shudders*

That game gave me the creeps, the bloody trial nightmare and the first level. D="

I was going to say resident evil or condemned til i saw this post, those nightmarish drug trips were a whole new level of fear in video games.

Zack
October 26th, 2008, 19:20
Silent Hill 2. That creeped me out

mike_jmg
October 27th, 2008, 03:12
Silent hill Origins for the PSP with headphones

The ambient noises are creepy as hell, I had to play it in daylight, playing it in the dark at night is absolutely insane.

When I was playing it I had to compensate, playing disgaea afterwards so I could get it out of my system.

The game made me afraid of mirrors for like 2 weeks after I finished it

It was great

jhe10
October 27th, 2008, 12:36
E.T. on the 2600 It just scares me to death that some developer thought that this was a good idea.

sorceror
October 27th, 2008, 13:29
I'd agree on "Aliens vs. Predator 1" playing as a marine. You've got good weapons... but it's dark, you're fragile, and the aliens are so damn fast. The game also semi-randomly places enemies so you can't be sure where most of them will be. You're on your toes most of the time, listening for the telltale screeches... or the chittering of small, hard-to-spot, instakill facehuggers.