PDA

View Full Version : The Homebrew Channel, beta9

wraggster
October 26th, 2008, 11:16
News from Marcan (http://hackmii.com/2008/10/the-homebrew-channel-beta9/):

Beta9 would have been out a few days ago, but then Nintendo came up with the new October 23 update with perfect timing, so we had to make sure the beta9 installer was compatible (read: exploited a new bug nobody knew about until then). So here it is.

Warning: We’ve updated the ELF loader to be compliant with the specs. Unfortunately, DevkitPPC ELFs currently are not (they will be in the next release), so they’ll break. App authors should distribute DOL versions. If they don’t, tell them to. If they don’t, convert it yourself:

powerpc-gekko-objcopy -O binary boot.elf boot.dol

Newer ELFs produced by the new toolchain (when it comes out, hopefully soon) will be compatible both with the new loaders (HBC beta9) and all the old loaders. All DOL files work as usual. The new linkerscript will also be more flexible (we’re using it for all the binaries involved in HBC, instead of a mixture of custom linker scripts). Authors of other loaders will like this.

Changelog:

Installer / updater now works with the October 23 update
SDHC support
REALLY fixed the memcard bug
Installer now picks newest sane IOS, fixes some beta8 regressions
Added a reload button (for SD card changes)
Return to system menu skips warning
Fixed some graphical glitches
Saner XML load code
Many fixes to underlying stuff in the newer libogc
We’re keeping the new bug under wraps for now to increase the chances of us being able to use it for the BootMii-Core installer too

Even with beta9, I don’t recommend that you update unless you need to. You can use Muzer’s or tona’s installer to install IOS51 and the new Wii Shop only, which will keep all the old vulnerable IOSes too.

Download and Give Feedback and Compatability Reports Via Comments

eatnooM
October 26th, 2008, 11:51
Awesome, I'm glad that the hackers in the Wii scene can keep some secrets from Nintendo :)

dudeofcube
October 26th, 2008, 12:48
Gotta head off to work, but will check in to this when i get home. After updating the homebrew channel, should (will?) i be able to install and run the ios downgrader tool? If not, i humbly ask that some one please make a downgrader that can work on wii's with the ios51 installed. please.

Baboon
October 26th, 2008, 13:53
Well I just converted my FUSE emulator and also the Pacman emulator elf's into a dol via powerpc-objcopy seeing as most elf's will not work on hbc now.

If anyone wants my converted dol's of the FUSE emu and also the pacman arcade emulator so that they will now work on the hbc I've uploaded them for you here...

http://rapidshare.com/files/157712369/PACMANdol.zip

http://rapidshare.com/files/157712137/FUSEdol.zip

slimfady
October 26th, 2008, 14:04
When it says that SDHC is supported, does it mean that I can now use 4 GB+ SDHC compliant cards in HBC?

Keelhaul
October 26th, 2008, 14:59
I just tried my 4GB SDHC card, didn't work. =/

WhizzBang
October 26th, 2008, 17:07
Well I just converted
If anyone wants my converted dol's of the FUSE emu and also the pacman arcade emulator so that they will now work on the hbc I've uploaded them for you here...

Thank for this - I really enjoy using FUSE and probably wouldn't have been able to work out how to convert it myself.

pkmaximum
October 26th, 2008, 17:57
If anyone would convert the Wad manager channel that would be awesome! And much appreciated =)

Baboon
October 26th, 2008, 19:30
If anyone would convert the Wad manager channel that would be awesome! And much appreciated =)

The latest release is already a dol:

http://wiibrew.org/wiki/Homebrew_apps/WAD_Manager

MiMô!!!
October 26th, 2008, 21:00
Somebody plz tell me how to load games for another region now?! The Gecko region free is a .elf file!
My region is USA and most of my games is form Europe!
Someone plz tell me how I can run Pal games!

Baboon
October 26th, 2008, 21:50
Somebody plz tell me how to load games for another region now?! The Gecko region free is a .elf file!
My region is USA and most of my games is form Europe!
Someone plz tell me how I can run Pal games!

Again the newest release already contains a dol:

Get that here: http://www.usbgecko.com/files/GeckoOS107b.zip

...use the file main.dol (rename to boot.dol) instead of the boot.elf. :D

Graxer0419
October 27th, 2008, 00:21
It's is great to see a reload button being added and SDHC support.

The only problem is some of my games don't work anymore as they are ELFs, this will probably be a problem for the creater of the Homebrew Browser as lots of the homebrew no longer works.

The ones I can't use now are:

Ocarina (But I suppose I can use GeckoOS for cheats)
Ballion
Tetris
Wii Breakout
Wii Solitaire
Wii Physics

And thanks Baboon for sharing the Pacman DOL, and pointing out how GeckoOS can still be used.

Trypa
October 27th, 2008, 00:38
Is possible installs wad files whith this HBC version and de 3.3v2 update?

h2923j42n2
October 27th, 2008, 05:10
Is possible installs wad files whith this HBC version and de 3.3v2 update?

Not without a Custom IOS.

chuggman
October 27th, 2008, 05:46
Yeah for SDHC, I hope all the homebrew developers add it to there projects so we can test out if it works. From what I understand (tell me if I'm wrong) each program would need to be updated to work with the new SDHC support and they planning on adding it to the library for the developers to use but havn't as of yet. If homebrew can do it It means Nintendo can and should too!

Gutzman
October 28th, 2008, 18:59
Again the newest release already contains a dol:

Get that here: http://www.usbgecko.com/files/GeckoOS107b.zip

...use the file main.dol (rename to boot.dol) instead of the boot.elf. :D

I made an account just to reply to this. I had the same problem. Tried what you said, still doesnt work :(. Can you be more specific?

Baboon
October 28th, 2008, 21:40
I made an account just to reply to this. I had the same problem. Tried what you said, still doesnt work :(. Can you be more specific?

Heres my dol file...

vapblack
October 29th, 2008, 15:52
I just sent my wii in for repair, when i got it back i quickly updated and to my despair it crippled the homebrew.....im glad to see this hot one...