PDA

View Full Version : Opinion: Two Years In - How The Wii Has Failed

wraggster
October 28th, 2008, 19:06
Released in November, 2006, the Nintendo Wii is revolutionary to say the least. With its innovative user interface, it has completely taken the world by storm by reinventing what video games are and who they are made for.

With nearly 30 million sold worldwide and over 160 million lifetime sales predicted (more than twice that of the Xbox 360 or PS3), Nintendo has clearly hit the ball out of the park.

Critics are raving, the crowds are cheering, it seems as though the once sagging console industry has been rejuvenated and ready to run at a blistering pace for years to come.

To this day, two years after launch, you still have a hard time finding a Wii in stores. But what consumers are lining up to buy isn’t the Wii, what they are buying is the idea and the dream of the Wii.

Consumers, many of whom have never played games before, have been picking up a Wii, enjoying it for a few weeks, and then watching it collect dust by their TV. They can’t explain why, but for some reason they just don’t play it anymore.

This is because the Wii has failed to deliver on the magic it promised.

A License to Dream

When I first heard about the Wii, I was completely ecstatic. Though the idea of movement-based controls are now obvious, at the time it was completely and utterly original. Such an idea had never even crossed the average gamer’s mind.

All we saw for the future was a jump from button-mashing to VR Headsets, with nothing in between. This first step off of the classic game controller was nothing short of mind blowing.

Everyone who watched in awe at the Electronics Entertainment Expo (E3) 2006 also watched their minds begin spinning with ideas. This is a godsend, we thought. We can do everything!

We can make fitness games that work your body, shooting games with actual movement, puzzle games with tactile interface, and much more. Truly, the Wii seemed like a license to dream anything.

But the ceiling was bound to appear.

Waggle: The Empty Promise

The principle failure of the Wii and its Wii remote is in its promise of immersion through movement. When many people imagine what playing the Wii would be like after seeing the commercials and experiences of other players, they imagine an incredibly immersive experience.

The movement based controls of the Wii hearken to a completely visceral play session, becoming one with the virtual world in front of them. We all drooled at the opportunity to dive behind couches in our living room to escape gunfire, being able to replicate a real tennis match without leaving the house, or having a sword fight that was even more real and tactile than the ones we had as children with wooden sticks.

It has been a disappointment, therefore, to see our promised virtual experience reduced to shaking the controller.

The problem is that waggling the Wii remote does not, in itself, add to a gameplay experience. If I want to open a virtual door and am asked to turn the Wii remote instead of pressing a button, that doesn’t make the experience more immersive.

While it may be novel once or twice, the simple movement itself does not enrich the game. In fact, it can become tedious and frustrating. Developers are just as guilty as players in this regard.

Creating one game after another that is essentially a recycled last-generation title, but with new Wii remote action, does not make it any different than the title was before.

The sad truth is that substituting Wii remote movement for a button press is nothing more than an empty promise. Upgrading to a new technology only to have the freshly minted fun evaporate after one run through is not technology well spent.

Looking Behind the Curtain

I remember teaching my cousin how to play Wii Tennis, and when he went to serve the ball, he lifted his left hand, the one not holding the Wii remote, to toss. At that moment, he didn’t understand how the Wii worked.

All he knew was that it was some sort of magical machine that mimicked your real life movements. It was a joyous occasion and a incredible exploratory experience.

But the innocence did not last long. Upon further experimentation, he learned how the controller worked, discovering that a quick snap of the wrist gave the same forehand as a loopy swing of his whole upper body. As the initial amazement wore off, Wii Tennis became simply another video game.

When the public imagined what was possible with the Wii, we imagined complete, full-on physical experiences akin to backyard football. Perhaps, we thought, you may even get a little bruised up in a game on the Wii, playing with competitive friends.

Many of the early press responses to the Wii held this view, with parents saying that they enjoy it because it gets them and their kids off the couch. But to say that you think the Wii gets you off the couch is to reveal a naive understanding of its fundamental gameplay.

Sure, it may get kids off the couch, but when they’ll be doing off the couch is flicking their wrists, not playing basketball.

The limitations of the Wii remote’s accelerometer (even with Wii Motion Plus) reveal it to be far short of the dream machine that players were pining over. The necessary later release of Wii Fit shows that Nintendo developers have come to terms with the limitations of the Wii remote by itself.

Wii Fit may be fantastic for those who want exercise, but it’s too specialized of a peripheral to do much for those who want to explore the virtual worlds present in other games, but in a more immersive way. We wanted the Wii remote to satisfy our needs outside of exercise, too.

What We Bought Vs. What We Have

The Nintendo Wii is an elegant symphony of hardware, software, marketing, and imagination. At first glance, it appears that it can do everything you could think of, an experience full of promise.

Everyone loves the idea of the Wii. The idea of a totally immersive experience. The idea of games that are more like kickball and less like Tetris. The idea of entering a brand new world. But after some time, we learn that we have purchased nothing more than a shakable A-button.

Without doubt, future console releases and peripherals will attempt to satisfy us further. The Wii has made a great leap forward, but those who think we have already arrived are mistaken.

http://www.gamasutra.com/php-bin/news_index.php?story=20677

KristenBaldousor
October 28th, 2008, 22:23
Wow, what a cry baby

Yeah, the Wii its not what they though it would be, but we can't blame companies for trying to sell us an incorrect image of the product. How many tv commercial try to sell us exercise product putting perfectly fit people making us think that using that product will be having such a perfect body?

Its named marketing, Nintendo is not at fault you didn't like it, its your own fault, and Nintendo doesn't care, he already has your money

goshogun1
October 28th, 2008, 22:24
This article does have some good points, which I myself agree with. Its funny how I use my Wii more for homebrew emulators, and Gamecube games. Perhaps 1:1 will spice it up a little?

slaanesh
October 29th, 2008, 00:00
I'd tend to agree. I bought my Wii day one of launch. Played it intensively for 2 months. Now almost 2 years later it's not even setup anymore, replaced by my PS2. Of the many consoles I own, I have the least games for the Wii - Red Steel and Zelda.
It's really good for some sport-type games - but that's one of my least favorite genres.
Perhaps a virtual headset would be cool?

Nintendo Maniac 64
October 29th, 2008, 05:28
I must say, Excite Truck was one game that did and still does to me feel like it's not an "empty promise". The controls may be a little hard at first, but once used to it (which shouldn't take long)...man it rocked. And it still does, except that I beat it a year ago :/ Now I just do multiplayer, which is actually quite awesome. (online would've been epic)

quzar
October 29th, 2008, 07:19
Whenever I have access to it, I play it a lot. Played through Mario Galaxy which was astounding (still working on going through the second time), have tons of fun with Guitar Hero 3, still working on Twilight Princess, and still have fun with Wii Fit.

The same arguments can be made for any game system ever released. Waggle is one of the most punched keypoints out there. They say it as though there is no such thing as button mashing. Just because you CAN ignore some play methods and instead waggle doesn't mean you can only use it that way.

In my opinion the biggest problem is that they didn't push for the ability to make the Wii a great cheap multimedia center. Even just a CD player to go with the photo slideshow, news, and weather would be great.

mr_nick666
October 29th, 2008, 09:09
I have to agree with quzar there :) I think only now developers are tapping into the potential of the Wii. Games like The Conduit are going to set a new standard ;)

sean.aaron
October 29th, 2008, 12:13
I'm a bit confused. Who in their right mind would think that any videogame would simulate a real-life experience faithfully?

I personally wasn't interested in the Wii or any games console until I had seen a game on it that I wanted. In my case it wasn't one that used motion extensively, but 1:1 mapping of actions I find completely unnecessary to the experience. Using the wiimote gestures for attacks in Zelda is more immersive than simply pressing a button.

While it may be true that you don't need to do the full range of motion to play Wii Sports or other games, the fact is that it works doing it. I know intellectually I don't need to do a full swing when I play baseball on the Wii, but I do it because it feels more natural, it's more fun and it gets results. If I didn't enjoy it, I wouldn't play it.

Lastly, I'm tired of reading completely unfounded statements like
Consumers, many of whom have never played games before, have been picking up a Wii, enjoying it for a few weeks, and then watching it collect dust by their TV. I'm assuming this is anecdotal and based upon lots of internet posts by people who own multiple consoles. The latter aren't representative of the majority of Wii owners; for the former to be regarded as true I'd actually need to see some kind of research data based upon polling a representative section of the Wii-owning populace.

I hardly think the Wii has failed to live up its promise. It may have failed to live up to the unrealistic expectations of a segment of the gaming population, but I hardly consider that evidence of failure.

geise69
October 29th, 2008, 12:16
I thought the Wii did a pretty good job at what it advertised. I got mine at launch and I still play it. There are quite a few games that do use the wiimote in a good way. Dragon Quest Swords, Wii Music, Mario Kart Wii, Resident Evil 4 Wii Edition (yes it counts), Metroid Prime 3, Samba De Amigo, the Trauma Center games, Battalion Wars 2, Elebits, and Zack and Wiki. There's also quite a few other games I like on the wii. Granted they don't make really good use of the wiimote but they're games. Plus there's others coming out and the new 1:1 addon. People just expect everything. I also own a 360. It's just the same. There's some great games, but there's very few "groundbreaking" games that really make you feel that it's next gen.

onetwentyeight
October 29th, 2008, 14:12
I just moved into a new house and admit to not having bothered to set up my Wii, but that doesn't dismiss the utter joy I experienced playing Mario Galaxy, Metroid 3, Zelda and a few other virtual channel gems. I guess that makes me a core gamer since the initial excitement of the games contained within Wii Sports and Wii Play wore off on me after a few months, and by the time Wii Fit arrived I had absolutely no interest in sinking more money into peripherals. That was one of the selling points of the Wii - no extra peripherals to buy: no light guns, no fishing rods, no maracas...

On an unmentioned side note does anyone think the Wiimote's camera might have been a limiting factor in keeping the system from going HD? We've all had trouble pointing the cursor at 480p but can you imagine how much more difficult it might have been at 1080?

sean.aaron
October 29th, 2008, 16:28
That was one of the selling points of the Wii - no extra peripherals to buy: no light guns, no fishing rods, no maracas...

On an unmentioned side note does anyone think the Wiimote's camera might have been a limiting factor in keeping the system from going HD? We've all had trouble pointing the cursor at 480p but can you imagine how much more difficult it might have been at 1080?

Good point; I'm happy to be able to play lightgun games without getting a lightgun, and if there were no motion controls at all the IR pointer itself really adds a lot to the controls in many games -- basically like having a built-in mouse without needing a surface to rest it on.

To the query, that's a good question, but I think the cost of the extra graphics processing and any associated licensing costs would be a bigger factor. I don't get the sense there's a technological limitation relating to the on-screen resolution.

Jay6
October 29th, 2008, 19:01
Oh no! Someone doesn't like the Wii! Spread the news all over the internet!
Honestly, I don't care what other people think. I still like the Wii.

Eviltaco64
October 29th, 2008, 19:59
I like the Wii, but honestly, I think it's overrated and lacking innovation.

The Wiimote concept is alright (and great when used right, usually by Nintendo), but I prefer conventional controls.

For graphics, it's alright. I mean, the character models are smooth, games for the most part look ok, but I could say the same thing about Black on Xbox/PS2. ;)

Once again, don't get me wrong. If it's a good game, I'd play it even if it were on the Atari Jaguar (or, dare I say, Philips CD-i ;)).

With that said, all I really want Nintendo to feature in their successor to the Wii is graphics on or super-par with their competitors and some better 3rd party games. They themselves are doing great things with the Wii, integrating great controls and pushing the Wii a little more everytime whereas most 3rd party publishers (excluding companies like Capcom and Konami and the good batch of Wii 3rd party games) just release shovelware.

sean.aaron
October 30th, 2008, 13:16
I'm sure by the time a next console for Nintendo happens they'll be able to get the current gen graphics processors for cheap. Spending the extra money to keep up with lesser competitors doesn't seem to make any financial sense at all.

ICE
October 30th, 2008, 13:47
The Wii has failed to keep me interested.. Theres nothing inherently wrong with the Wii in itself, its the games. Theres just not enough of them that arent complete crap to keep anyone but a casual gamer satisfied.

coolguy08
October 30th, 2008, 14:54
Hmm, now my kids are burying them.. just don't know why..