PDA

View Full Version : PSP Snes Controller Mod

wraggster
October 29th, 2008, 19:53
News from theFoo

Some time ago I was contacted by a nice guy in the US. He asked me wether I would be interested in building a psp mod for his partner. She has limited use of one of her hands and as such cant use a psp, but she can however use a SNES controller perfectly (I've seen it, its quite a talent). So he asked if I would be able to add a SNES controller to a PSP for her.

Well at long last here it is.

http://www.youtube.com/v/JER2Mkqp1HI

This mod was achieved by adding a small socket to the back of the psp ( the socket was sent to me by a friend some time ago so I dont have a part number. I believe it was intended for a cell phone). I taped all of the relevant points on the psp mother board (some of which where horribly close together and tiny. Actually not some ALL of them where), and then ran these to the socket. I used a file and dremal to cut a whole in the back of the psp and the socket fitted in with a satisfying *click*. I then put together a custom cable and plug that would fit the newly attached socket. This was then wired to the snes controllers pcb (attached directly to the traces of each button. And thats about it.

This is my first mod of a psp slim and I found it pretty easy to work with. They bags of space for mods in spite of its reduced size.

I will update this blog with some of my older mods as soon as I have a bit of time.

I'll also be selling off a few of my modded psps on ebay this week which I will also post here, so sub if your interested :)

Hope you guys like the mod. Comments are welcome :)

http://thef00.blogspot.com/2008/10/psp-snes-controller-mod.html

Buddy4point0
October 29th, 2008, 20:08
Pretty cool mod is you emulate old school games on your PSP a lot.
I think he should have put the plug in the top or the bottom though, it's awkward on the back in my opinion. Although it does make a nice stand.

nomi
October 29th, 2008, 22:35
5 PSPS!!! LOL! anyways... nice mod!

slaanesh
October 29th, 2008, 23:40
No flame intended. but personally I think it's a bit pointless.
The PSP already has a nice controller which is a super-set of the SNES controller. So, it doesn't really add anything - rather - it makes the PSP not-so portable. PSPNSP?
It's probably more interesting from a technical point of view I guess.

pimpmaul69
October 30th, 2008, 16:57
No flame intended. but personally I think it's a bit pointless.
The PSP already has a nice controller which is a super-set of the SNES controller. So, it doesn't really add anything - rather - it makes the PSP not-so portable. PSPNSP?
It's probably more interesting from a technical point of view I guess.

i think you missed the point. the person using the psp is physically unable to use a psp, but can however, use a snes controller. one of the reasons is a stroke. stroke victims have limited use of their left hand and cannot push on the direction pad for long periods of time, so to get around this they hold a controller upside down. so it has served its purpose. and being that it uses an snes controller on it, it also means you can use any classic controller on it wich would kick ass. i did this on the xbox with several controllers as you can see here (http://forums.xbox-scene.com/index.php?showtopic=509938&st=0)