PDA

View Full Version : Unnamed Developer Says DS Games Could Crash On DSi

LyonHrt
October 30th, 2008, 10:57
Games that already play well with the DS could run into trouble on the DSi, causing many a developer headache, according to sources at Pocket Gamer. One unnamed developer told the publication that its studio is having problems getting one of its upcoming games compatible with the Dsi's new hardware. Though the game plays fine on the regular DS, it freezes up when played on the Dsi and so Nintendo won't certify it.

Nintendo's response to everything has been that “All DS titles are compatible with Dsi” (except those that utilize the GBA slot—like Guitar Hero). But if games that haven't been released are already running into trouble, does that mean that several games already out there won't play nice on the company's next handheld?

Source Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5070740/developer-says-ds-and-dsi-arent-as-similar-as-you-think).

Pilot_51
October 30th, 2008, 19:41
This is why I don't like the move to make the DSi as a redesign rather than a better new generation a couple years later. A redesign is not supposed to harm cross-compatibility for the games designed in the generation in any way, that means all games designed for any of the 3 DS systems should work perfectly fine with the other DS systems.

I don't think the DSi fits in either category of redesign or new generation, it's somewhere in-between. Technically it may be a redesign, but practically it isn't.

trugamer
October 30th, 2008, 21:12
I'm not too worried- all DS games are already out so have probably been tested (I say probably!).

Anyway everybody will be keeping their DS lites for Guitar Hero or GBA games anyway.

gumgod
October 30th, 2008, 23:35
I'm not too worried- all DS games are already out so have probably been tested (I say probably!).

Anyway everybody will be keeping their DS lites for Guitar Hero or GBA games anyway.

I doubt it, they were probably too concerned with what they could do with cameras. lol

Also I don't find myself playing very many gba games these days. The library of DS games just keeps growing and there's only a few GBA games that I liked anyway, and with all the new releases who has time to play them?

Although the exclusion of this slot could lead to a GBA emulator on the DSi since the main argument for not having one on the DS was that it had the hardware so why emulate it.