PDA

View Full Version : Japan: not crazy about Nintendo DSi

wraggster
October 30th, 2008, 21:10
According to this Dengeki poll, anyway. The Japanese site conducted a survey of its readers just days before the Nintendo DSi launches in Japan, and discovered that most were pretty nonplussed by the shiny new upgrade.

The most surprising statistic? Only 3.6% stated they'd be purchasing the DSi "soon," a worryingly teensy minority, and perhaps another sign that the DSi won't match the Lite's epic launch. In the next bracket, 29.4% of readers said they'd wait a little bit before jumping in, but 40.7% said they'd already made their mind up against buying a DSi. The new, larger screens are the most attractive feature of the console, said 30.8% of respondents, but the two cameras got considerably less love: only 15.1% of people named them as the best bit of the DSi.

Exactly how representative Dengeki's survey is could be debated. There's no mention of how many readers voted, for example, and Dengeki readers undoubtedly represent a very small proportion of all potential DSi buyers. Still, 3.6% is, y'know, small.

http://www.dsfanboy.com/2008/10/29/japan-not-crazy-about-nintendo-dsi/

trugamer
October 30th, 2008, 21:40
Surely 3.6% isn't that small, and what is this of DS owners or just Japanese people in general?

And if it is small I'm not surprised, I'm probably only going to get it if there is some decent homebrew seeing as there's nothing official announced.

Auriman1
October 31st, 2008, 00:11
That statistic isn't even remotely surprising. In the recent economics of the world, "most" people are smarter with their money, and won't be willing to throw it at every minor console revision, especially when said revision could be a downgrade, in some respects.

Spidery_Yoda
October 31st, 2008, 00:49
I don't blame them it looks like a completely pointless 'upgrade' to me.

havoc_012
October 31st, 2008, 03:55
Traditionally, upgrades are better consoles. The DSi seems to be going backwards to me.

davidcrew
October 31st, 2008, 07:19
just shows inadequate marketing and development research. Business practice pwn!

Sir_Voe
October 31st, 2008, 08:07
I'm kind of suprised by those numbers, but I guess we'll see soon how well it sells.
Off topic somewhat, I'm hearing reports from people who received their DSi's today that flash cards don't work on it. Also, one person said there is no english option.

koh-kun
October 31st, 2008, 09:42
The DSi is such a lame excuse for an upgrade it's almost funny.

Ooohhh a camera that let's you morph the images!!!! The hell, are we in 1992?? Kids in Japan probably have better cameras on their cellphones…

goshogun1
October 31st, 2008, 18:26
I think it's because it isn't as much a step up from the DS lite. When the DS Lite came out you would be a fool not to upgrade, just because of the screen alone. For the DSi, the features aren't worth replacing the Lite for most people.
I personally will buy one because the screen is bigger. The buyers don't care about the camera, they want the screen.