PDA

View Full Version : dotHACK Game Series poted to psp

hacker94
October 31st, 2008, 00:44
I was thinking ...........well i wasnt (never do) that a ported version of one of the dotHACK games from the ps2 to the psp would be awesome if anyone has any views or opinions please reply.

Tesseract
November 1st, 2008, 22:43
That's not going to happen. Aside from the "no source - no port" note stickied up, porting something from PS2 to PSP would at best require a full engine rewrite. At worst, it'd be impossible. Plus, the later 'episodes' of both DotHack series got close to capping out a DVD. Storage Space would be unfriendly for that kind of thing.

That said, there might be smaller dothack-inspired projects possible. I could definitely see someone making a homebrew version of Crimson Vs.

Wally
November 2nd, 2008, 12:08
I don't understand why people don't know what a source code is..

Wally

ICE
November 2nd, 2008, 19:03
I don't understand why people don't know what a source code is..

Wally

See the flaw in your thinking is in assuming that all people arent idiots until proven otherwise. :rofl:

Silvernirvash
November 2nd, 2008, 21:35
yes well i personally believe that they could do it. There have been many arguments and comparisons between the PS2 and PSP questioning weather or not its as powerfull as the ps2. They have concluded afer extensive testing that it is indead as powerful as the ps2 the problem in porting a game like .hack// to the psp from the ps2 is not the processing power needed but infact the fact that it took 4 discs and 4 releases just to make original complete. Thatll mean rewriting the games 4 times just to make i work properly and no one wants to go through that. there is also the issue with the L buttons...theres only one set and if they DO plan to port ps2 games to the psp theyll need to upgrade the psp a little add a 2nd joystick for camera issues and a 2nd set of L buttons as well as making he joysticks a 3rd set of L buttons. basically they'll have o take a ps2 controller and glue a screen to it...its just too much work atm to do. They are already releasing the PSP3000 with upgraded stuff but it's just not enough if you ask me to give it a whole new name like 3000.

in anycase what they should do INSTEAD of porting is make a whole new game....base it off of another part of the .hack time line or just make up a whole new plot, add some character customization, more free roaming in town, online mode, and a few others. but that would be saved for the ps3 most likely cuz adding an online mode for a game like that just for psp is just weak lol

Tesseract
November 2nd, 2008, 23:09
They DID try an online dothack game. Look up .hack//FRAGMENT. It was only released in Japan and fared rather poorly.

I agree, though, that if they're ever going to bring dothack to the PSP, it would have to be a new series. After GU, however, they're in some pretty tricky territory. You can only retell the same story so much before it starts to get stale and the novelty wears off.

I really do think we've seen the last of the dothack universe, but if they do it well, I wouldn't mind being proved wrong.

Silvernirvash
November 3rd, 2008, 03:40
Yes i know about fragment and it failed miserably but that was on PS2 and it failed because it didn't relay the same feeling people got from the anime when they played the real thing. The anime makes [the world] out to be a mystical game that always seems to change on its own due to the "black box" in the game data. I mean cmon it randomly generated NPC's that ran wild in [the world] acting like normal players, chatting, talking, exploring, fighting, and more. then there was the events, and the actual world people played in. It seemed.......idk...Alive. Truely unique you know? the visors added to that feeling. So conveying a realistic feeling from a visor to a monitor...it's just not he same.

as for the "last of the dothack universe" you are sadly mistaken. Do you understand just how much time inbetween .hack ROOTS (GU included) and the original .hack//Sign, (PS2 game included cuz its the same time) there is? a yr passes between the two time frames between [the world] and [the world]R2

what they basically did was bring all the of the 3 time frames (.hack//sign, .hack//PS2, and .hack//Legend) together and make you play out the original ps2 games online......thats all it was basically. It just wasn't the same *sigh*

what they REALLY should have done was use the ORIGINAL story line for [the world] since the company that made [the world] isn't actually real using it isn't against the rules.

that year bugs took over, issues arose, and above all else upgrades and changes were made to [the world] that they never actually mentioned at all, or went into details about. and then finally......Aura the goddess, left [the world] to leave the players fending for themself. What do you think happened at that time that caused her to want to leave? how about a story about that?

hacker94
November 3rd, 2008, 18:41
thanks for all your replys hope many more come

just so you know i do know wat source code is i wasnt saying lets port lets port i was thinking wouldnt it be cool if there was a .hack game on psp

less hasty
stop jumping to conclusions plsse
no offence intended

Shadow2by4
March 2nd, 2009, 16:14
I agree that a .hack// for PSP would be awesome. However, I also agree that the system's restrictions kind of bar porting and limit the ideas available for new games. I have thought up many different versions of a .hack// that could come to psp, and one of my little dreams seemed to be the best. It could be a simple, PSO-type affair, just with persistent root towns within servers. Not the ingame servers, though, servers for different regions, for example. Exchange member address with a few people, go on a dungeon raid, but there would still be story characters and such. As far as story, something new would be nice, rather than a reiteration or continuation of an anime, novel or game series already in the .hack// universe. It would end up a lot like the .hack// games on PS2, but with character creation, online and a few downgrades to accomodate the system, such as cutting out some content, downsampling music, making movies a different way to use less space, such as (very compressed) anime movies ala Star Ocean and Tales of, and some control tweaks. In fact, I even have a control map I dreamt up before. It's in the spoiler marks to save space.
Analog stick: Move character, work menus
D-pad: Move camera
X: Confirm, action (take, attack, etc)
Square: Party menu in offline mode, hold down to bring up quick commands in online mode(preset chats, skill and item hotkeys, etc)
Circle: Deny, go back in menus
Triangle: Bring up main menu, techniques, equipment, etc
Select: Bring up system menu, options, login/out, etc
Start: Pause in offline mode, put BRB over your head and freeze you in place in online mode (invulnerable, of course)
L: Straighten Camera
R: Point out your current target to your allies
L+R in online mode: Bring up keyboard and put 'TYPING' over your head

Keyboard controls would be somewhat like texting on a t9 phone, pressing the square, x, triangle and circle buttons would type different letters, the L and R buttons, when held, would enable different subsets of characters, and the D-pad up and down would change case while left and right would change character sets (numerical, alphabetical, symbols, etc)

In short, yes, it would be possible with a few tweaks. However, I don't think Bandai has any plans to do it. The closest we will probably ever get is a homebrew game akin to The World: R1 that was once on the cyberconnects website. But I would be satisfied with that :)