PDA

View Full Version : [Vote] Which is better, Guitar Hero or Rock Band?

DPyro
October 31st, 2008, 14:02
Hey guys. I'm thinking about picking up one of these games, but dunno which I should get (never played them before). So I'm putting up a poll, and whichever one wins is the game I get. I would also like to know which has the better quality guitar.

kcajblue
October 31st, 2008, 16:34
i vote guitar hero all the way.

VampDude
October 31st, 2008, 23:22
Guitar Hero, because it's the original if it's genre (except of course the game Simon).

But next year, I will be saying Guitar Rising if anyone cares to ask...

...Guitar Rising will use a real guitar, which for me will be cool since I've not yet had a reason to play with the Gibson Explorer my dad so kindly gave to me. :cool:

DPyro
November 2nd, 2008, 15:19
Only two votes? Could I have a reason as to why Guitar Hero is better, other than it was the first game to come out. As far as I can tell, Rock Band has more tracks for purchase on the PlayStation Store.

Buddy4point0
November 2nd, 2008, 16:06
I put Guitar Hero, but that's only because I only have a wii and Rock Band 2 isn't on the wii.

Eviltaco64
November 2nd, 2008, 17:07
Wait, wasnt that Konami rythm game from 2003 the original Guitar Hero-esque game?

EDIT: Sorry, it was called GuitarFreaks and released in 1998 for the Arcade and Playstation 1.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GuitarFreaks

Kaiser
November 2nd, 2008, 18:24
Rock Band 2 destroys Guitar Hero. Rock Band has like five times more songs available for it (if you convert over your old songs) and almost all the good songs on Guitar Hero is already available for Rock Band 2.

Guitar Hero, because it's the original if it's genre (except of course the game Simon).
The Rock Band series is made by the guys who originally did the first two Guitar Hero games.

Buddy4point0
November 2nd, 2008, 23:02
Anybody played frequency?

pibs
November 3rd, 2008, 00:45
Get Rock Band 2. It gets DLC every Tuesday and has a more diverse selection of music. Another good reason to get RB2 is because all the kinks have been worked out on the instruments unlike GH:WT that has a flawed drum set. Not to mention that many of the songs on WT have been coming out as DLC for RB2. The music creator on GH:WT isn't even all that great of a feature to convince those who have become loyal to harmonix to return to the Guitar Hero franchise.

Also its up to you but if you never owned RB1 you can rent it and upload all the songs to part 2 for about $5, greatly increasing your music library.

Wiki both games songs list and decide from there if you are still not sure but I highly suggest RB2. After GH3 which was a huge disappointment, I will never purchase any kind of Guitar Hero game.

Those that say Guitar Hero are saying to get it because they are familiar with parts 1 and 2 that where created by the Harmonix team who really knew their stuff but after it went to Activision it all went to crap with part 3s selection of music.

SnesR0X
November 5th, 2008, 10:37
I put Guitar Hero, but that's only because I only have a wii and Rock Band 2 isn't on the wii.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_Band_2

Actually, it is, or at least will will be come December.

Rock Band is indefinitely superior to Guitar Hero, from the selection of music, the weekly DLC (including full albums), and even the visual style bashes Guitar Hero in every way. THE only things that give Guitar hero an edge is the (arguably good) increased difficulty level, in which they add notes to the chart that logically should not be there, and the music creation mode. Unfortunately I haven't seen much of the music creation, but unless you're really hardcore into making charts already, you won't be spending too much time on it. Besides this new feature, Guitar Hero World Tour is a sloppy rendition of Rock Band, that truly tarnishes the serious original charm. I know I'm ranting a bit here, but hey, I haven't been on in a while.

Let me break it down, for anyone who still doesn't know the history between RB and GH.

In 2005, publisher RedOctane released the Harmonix-developed game Guitar Hero. The game features similar gameplay elements to FreQuency and Amplitude, also owing some inspiration from Konami's own guitar-based video game series GuitarFreaks. Guitar Hero became largely successful, both critically and commercially, resulting in the well-received 2006 sequel Guitar Hero II, also developed by Harmonix. RedOctane was bought by Activision, while Harmonix would be purchased by MTV Networks. Thus Guitar Hero 3, was developed by the Tony Hawk Project 8 team, who went to work on weekends for the sole purpose to play Guitar Hero. They then ruined the game, Harmonix went on to make Rock Band, and now Guitar Hero World Tour is out, which IS Rock Band, sans excellent visuals and being made by musicians. Oh, and the name World Tour is freshly ripped off from the World Tour mode from the original Rock Band.

DPyro
November 7th, 2008, 02:33
Wow, split down the middle. I think I might get RB2 though, seeing as people actually gave a good reason to get it vs. Guitar Hero.