PDA

View Full Version : DSi To Stop Flash Cards, Kill Homebrew?

wraggster
October 31st, 2008, 22:16
The Nintendo DSi may come with an SD card slot, prompting fears of even easier piracy, but the redesign will close the boot exploit that allows flash devices like the R4 to load arbitrary code.

According to this story on DigitalBattle, the new DS model will crash if you try to boot with an auto-booting flash card in the slot. Menu-bootable cards will load, but the DSi will crash as soon as a menu item is selected.

On the one hand this may make a dent in game piracy, but it looks like it will scupper legitimate Homebrew developers too. Hopefully Nintendo will be able to come to some compromise - possibly involving that intriguing SD slot...

http://kotaku.com/5072726/dsi-to-stop-flash-cards-kill-homebrew

gamev8
October 31st, 2008, 23:06
The DSi, sounding less fun every day.

ethd
November 1st, 2008, 03:44
The DSi, sounding less fun every day.

The DSi, never sounding all that fun in the first place.

Cameras and bigger screens? A music player? I'll pass on the first two, and use my DS Phat and EDGE with MoonShell to play my music that's not unencrypted AAC, which happens to be 100% of my music collection.

DSiWare is sort of appealing, but I doubt there'll be any killer apps there.

And lack of homebrew breaks the deal completely.

Thusly, I'll be buying myself a DS Lite this Christmas rather than importing a DSi.

bah
November 1st, 2008, 07:45
Give the flash cart makers (Or the hackers they copy the work of) a cpl of months with the system.....