PDA

View Full Version : Xbox 360 load time comparison: DVD vs. hard drive

wraggster
November 1st, 2008, 10:47
One of the more touted features of the upcoming New Xbox Experience is the ability to install games onto your hard drive (watch how to do it). In an effort to quantify the benefit, MTV Multiplayer's Stephen Totilo has created three videos comparing the load times of running DVD vs. hard drive using Grand Theft Auto IV, Fable 2 and Gears of War 2. The difference is between 9 to 15 seconds for the first load, and presumably more "now loading" seconds scraped off other sections of each game.

While the verdict is out on whether or not it's worth your time to install (judging by Totilo's install times and our own, it seems to be a steady 1.7GB per minute), it's worth noting that, with installation, the console is noticeably quieter and is less likely to give you the feeling that it's about to explode.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/10/31/xbox-360-load-time-comparison-dvd-vs-hard-drive/

carlitx
November 1st, 2008, 15:04
I herd that even though you have the game installed on the HD you still need the game in the DVD drive to run the game. true of false?

Baboon
November 1st, 2008, 15:48
true

WhizzBang
November 1st, 2008, 16:31
, the console is noticeably quieter and is less likely to give you the feeling that it's about to explode.

This is great news and is what I have been waiting to hear. I will unpack my 360 and set it up again when the new firmware is released now that the noise levels should be more acceptable.

carlitx
November 1st, 2008, 23:00
true

hmm ok, maybe if I have the 120GB HD i would use this feature but i only have the 20GB and thats near full with my XBLA games and 2 xbox originals. Not including the few gigs of DLC for games such as oblivion and halo i have on there.