Quake II - First Patch
I have got a lot of bugs reports. But I know there are much more bugs :D

I'll upload the first patch soon.

Changes
enable invert analog nub
go to menu after id logo
remove network game start crash
on screen keyboard for console input

The next beta with more features will come when a lot of more features are finished.

ISO Gamer Protection
Lots of comments like:
My Quake crashes with a bluescreen.

Quake2::Sys_Error()Quake2::Version: EE Quake 2 PSP Port Beta 10xBAD1 Unabled to start Quake 2
And the solution is also known. Remove all your isos, loaders and iso loader directories from your psp and the game will start.

It is a very simple protection and everybody with some coding knowlegde can remove it. I don't put any work in this, but I still think it was a funny idea.
**** You ISO Gamers!

A lot of people were angry about this protection. Especially psp-hacks.com where strong against this. How can I play my legally backup now?
I don't think there is a really need for backup a psp game.
The typical argument is the umd will be damaged. This is very stupid. The umd is safe boxed in the cover and will not take damage even if it is often changed.
I'm sorry if this really disturb some gamer. But I'm sure the major part of iso gamers are 13 years old kiddies with one or two umds and one hundred isos. That was my intention. And as you can see. The protection was hacked fast...

I don't know if I spend further time with improve the protection, but I still think it was a good idea :D

SkankinMonkey
January 13th, 2006, 00:49
You know, I was all for supporting the Quake 2 developer until I read this crap about ISO protection. In the end, it is not his business what I run on my PSP, homebrew or otherwise. Doing something like this is simply childish and I refuse to support any author that thinks they can designate what I can do with hardware I bought and paid for. (FYI, this includes DRM music and other things also)

jman420
January 13th, 2006, 01:01
haha noob, then you dont get the awesomeness of quake 2. . . so sad that people accualy think they need to download psp games for free, but hey. . . now i can guarantee that anyone that uses emulators, doesent accualy own all the games they have roms for, or they would probobly play the original system. . . . am i not right?

Psyberjock
January 13th, 2006, 01:03
You know, I was all for supporting the Quake 2 developer until I read this crap about ISO protection. In the end, it is not his business what I run on my PSP, homebrew or otherwise. Doing something like this is simply childish and I refuse to support any author that thinks they can designate what I can do with hardware I bought and paid for. (FYI, this includes DRM music and other things also)

I really like the game that McZonk and friends have put together and I got it to run with no problems, but damn, that's a good point. This ISO move reeks of Sony/BMG and their secret root kit. Are devs going to start secretly installing software within applications to run our psp's as they see fit now?

Watch out homebrew scene!

cdrdj
January 13th, 2006, 01:06

Sigh... Another Stupid Idiot who contradicts himself. Yeah, sure, i'm with you for doing what i want with what i payed for and being able to play some good homebrew. But guess what, you didn't pay for the ISO's now did you. And don't give me any rhetoric about how you did buy it and ripped it. Just play using the actual UMD if you did buy it and screw the crap about keeping it in good condition. You buy a game to play it, not to look at it. It gets damaged, theres a thing called warranty. I had a PSP that kept scratching my games up so what did i do? I returned the psp and got it replaced with a new one and my games were replaced too. All for free.

What this developer does and other developers do to protect the scene by going against ISO's is commendable. If you read around and actually think about it you will know how harmful ISO's are:
ISO downloaded = No money for Developers/Publishers/Etc. = More expensive prices to counter loss of sale = less interest in buying games = less need for psp hardware = less attention for the overall community. And then there is the legal stuff, but I don't really care do go into that.

And by the way, I'm not saying i'm against using homebrew or whatever as we all know how Sony is against it. I'm just saying, ISO's hurt the scene.

andk1005
January 13th, 2006, 01:37
damn this moron he sees no reason for legal psp backups eh you try running wipeout pure at 222mhz and then run it at 333mhz the graphics difference is awesome its smoother it loads quicker even if i boot my real copy but the loading times are slashed when you run a game off a memory stick and your battery time is about the same because you're saving precious battery energy by not spinning a disc with a motor but youre using the psp to its full processing potential thats the reason i load isos from my memory stick and i am all for buying games because as you say if games dont get sold psp will be a miserable failure and we'll have another dud handheld along with ngage and all of those other consoles everyone ripped all the games for

Insane1
January 13th, 2006, 01:46
damn this moron he sees no reason for legal psp backups eh you try running wipeout pure at 222mhz and then run it at 333mhz the graphics difference is awesome its smoother it loads quicker even if i boot my real copy but the loading times are slashed when you run a game off a memory stick and your battery time is about the same because you're saving precious battery energy by not spinning a disc with a motor but youre using the psp to its full processing potential thats the reason i load isos from my memory stick and i am all for buying games because as you say if games dont get sold psp will be a miserable failure and we'll have another dud handheld along with ngage and all of those other consoles everyone ripped all the games for
Big problem is...most people who have ISO "backups" AREN'T using them for legal backup purposes or even for the higher speeds. They're using them soley to play games they didn't pay for. Although I'm sure there are plenty of people out there who do use ISO's in a legal type of fashion, but it's almost guranteeable that theres three times as many people using ISOs for illegal purposes. Although I'll agree the protections a little much. Considering most games out now require 2.0+ to play, and not even the ISOs will run on 1.5 from what I've heard. You know...I don't even know what I'm talking about anymore. Feel free to ignore my ramblings.

omniosiris
January 13th, 2006, 01:55
Eh, I think the whole iso thing is dumb not because I support iso's or anything, but because it'll take sumone who knows what there doing about 5 min to hack that (or just get 2 memory cards, come on people) so really i think it was just a waste of his time to stick that in there. The actual game is amazing! the graphics are insane, and I can't wait till it supports using the actual full version (I already tried putting my quake II on it....it never gets past the loading screen) great release, I havn't noticed any bugs, and it seems to run pretty well....I just wanna play the full game tho. Okay, I just figured out how to get past the iso protection, all you have to do is rename your iso folder (FileAssistant++ works like a charm for this)

andk1005
January 13th, 2006, 01:56
true i do agree with u but if stupid idiots who run games and dont have the curtosy to pay for them they are lower than a common shop thief. because they sit at home stealing games downloading them for free, at least a real thief has the balls to go and get a real copy. but one thing i would really like to see from sony in later firmware updates is a clock speed option in system software and with the oncoming of gran turismo for psp it could actually be plausable. then id upgrade to the later firmware and forget all this v1.5 hacking buisness and just be able to play all of my games at full speed as im sure they were designed but sony couldnt be arsed to sell the psp with a decent battery as they are doing now (2200mAh batterys on yourpsp.com no mods no silly sticking out bits same size same weight swap and forget)

andk1005
January 13th, 2006, 02:04
and ps i do agree with omniosiris quake 2 is an awesome game when i heard it was gonna be on psp i cracked open the bonus disc on my proper copy of quake 4 and was amazed that it was gonna be on psp the graphics aint far off being like a retail psp game and once mczonk has finished coding it and has made a final build ill be able to play the entire game on ma psp (nice). spot on man but plz dont f*** about with what i can and cant run on my psp (cheers)

alepus
January 13th, 2006, 02:44
this is great news! i think all homebrew should have this protection.
supergood work on the port mczonk! it looks really great. and the sprites are sooooooo nice.

AtariFreek
January 13th, 2006, 03:00
CAnt........ChsgsBREATHE......Too......Grrghhh.... .Cool........Ackkkch.........Cant......Take *GASP*......Eyes...ghfjdh....Off.....PSP.........* Thud*
LOL Great Job And I agreee With Alepus. ALL Homebrew Should Have ISO Protection, Its ******* Like Them Who Make Sony Keep Releaseing Firmware Upgrades.

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 03:28
hey my first post, i just had to get in on this one.

i tend to agree with the people that say hes stupid for
puting anti iso @#$ on his program....
1. because he is trying to push his political opinion on
someone else, and that is no better then riaa

2. if anyone that is using homebrew but is anti iso had
common since they would relize that the psp wasint
made for homebrew in the first the place...and homebrew
isint something sony wants on there system....
think about it for a second...if everyone is spending all there
time playing quake or doom or other psp homebrew games
or watching movie's on psp homebrew movie players,
thats time that isint spent playing games made for the psp
or watching umd movies that they paid for...or hypeing sony
products to there friends.....
if you think that homebrew isint harming game or movie sales
as much as iso stealing is your an idiot...both are harming
sales...and both are doing things with the system that
sony doesint want in the first place...and in sony's eyes
both the homebrew and the iso people are evil....

so what bugs me about this is that somehow he thinks
puting out a free game is better for the system them
stealing an iso....THEY ARE THE SAME FREAKING THING..
THEY BOTH HARM SALES...GET OFF YOUR HOMEBREW
HIGH HORSE'S

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 03:29
you people are just tradeing off one evil for a nother so you can
sleep better at night

NeoXCS
January 13th, 2006, 03:52
Ok, here's my take. Anyone dissing the protection is just a n00b. Yes, I find that it may be an inconvenience not to be able to play full speed isos (I hope Sony makes an option to up clock speed), but it's not the end of the world. I myself run a perfectly healthy 2.0 so I dont plan to run isos. People need to just calm down.

so what bugs me about this is that somehow he thinks
puting out a free game is better for the system them
stealing an iso....THEY ARE THE SAME FREAKING THING..
THEY BOTH HARM SALES...GET OFF YOUR HOMEBREW
HIGH HORSE'S

That right there is not productive at all to the scene. If you think homebrew is so bad, please go somewhere else. We don't want you here. Homebrew is not as bad because people who really want games will still buy them but if you use isos, then they aren't buying them.

This was just my take. Please stop flamming McZonk he has done a wonderful job. Enjoy Quake II everyone.

MadMonkee
January 13th, 2006, 03:53
you people are just tradeing off one evil for a nother so you can
sleep better at night

Well you are a ****ing dumbass, I am sorry I had to state that out, you don't seem to realize it on your own. Those programmers wrote ALL their code, they didn't take credit for someone else's shit, neither did they steal any effort. And most of all, they did it for free. Meaning NOTHING gained, all given. So shut the **** up and enjoy.

However, I am VERY mad at McZonk for that dumb shit ISO folder detection thing. I would be %70 more pissed the **** off if it wasn't for ISOs.

I spend 290 bucks on Untold Legends, Wipeout Pure, Twisted Metal, Dynasty Warriors, Pirates of the Carribean Movie, Rengoku, An Extra Battery, Headphones and USB Charging + Mini cable which I carried in a glasses case with me, everywhere with the psp. I left it in a bookstore one day, and someone took it....

ALL MY ****ING GAMES! O_O... Gone... Even 2 more movies I had gotten for my birthday, poof... stolen.

And you are saying playing ISOs are bad? If I hadn't ripped the ISOs of those UMDs, I would NEVER be able to play the games I loved again. I had to rip the movies from my DVDs... but still it costs me a ton of Memory Stick space. I think the main purpose of ISO playing is to back your shit up and to get to sample the game of course. If I were to play rengoku a little before I bought it, shit I would never buy that crappy ass game. But once you buy it you can't return it either, at least in the mall or in walmart that's the policy. I got to play Twisted Metal's ISO, I loved it so I bought it. I think ISOs are quite well done and thought of gives you the security of never losing your games, which I had done to me. Also the ability to RATE well or RATE bad. This way only companies who make good games keep making them, better for the public, good business for the better man.

I went to Books-A-Million a thousand times, talked to their manager, they said nothing like that case was ever found...

If I was Sony, I would allow back-ups, however forcefully with SOME kind of encryption tie them to a specific PSP. That way, even if you do get someone else's ISO it won't play on your PSP. And Demo/Shareware versions of upcoming games for Memory Stick. All 128 bit encoded of course.

Produkt
January 13th, 2006, 03:58
They would have to come up with a 256 bit encryption at the rate hackers are figuring out things.

As for the sales thing, you know who is losing more money than sony? Retailers... In the RIAA thing, you heard artists speak out saying sales were being downed when the artists saw limited return on CD's which didn't matter because most got their money from concerts. RIAA Claims they are costing the industree alot, but the groups truely effected said nothing... The retailers..

the developers and retailers have said nothing against software pirates for years... because it happens... most retailers know this because when tapes came out people coppied them aswell... even with books when the photo coppier came out... those were being duplicated...

Piracy is a part of the cycle... you can bottle neck it but sooner or later some one finds a way around it.

McZonk did a great job with his port. Wile it was a simple alpha it still felt empty to me. the level's were short. I could burn past it in 30 seconds without much effort (but I played quake 2 alot back in the day)...

technologie wise, great accomplishment. but he never said how altered his maps were so no chance of custom content yet...

PSMonkie did a great job plenty of maps, but his lacked in gameplay the weapon was cramped, controles needed tweeking and the AI was dead... but then again he did a whole lot more than most of them did... and he had 9 days :P

NeoXCS
January 13th, 2006, 03:58
However, I am VERY mad at McZonk for that dumb shit ISO folder detection thing. I would be %70 more pissed the **** off if it wasn't for ISOs.

The iso backup is a good point, but if it bothers you so much then don't play Quake II. Flaming the protection won't help at all. If you must play both (in your case it seems so) then just use the trick to remove protection and play. But please dont flame any psp coders.

grayjaket
January 13th, 2006, 04:04
if he wants to put frikkin iso protection on HIS homebrew that HE is making than let him. if YOU don't like it, MAKE YOUR OWN. oh but thats right...you're all too busy wanting him to conform to your every whim because he's a programmer and it's not like he's being nice enough to make this game to begin with.

you dont like it...dont download it. morons.

Chalkbot
January 13th, 2006, 04:16
I make ISOs of all my games. It's so much better than playing off the UMD, even at the default clock speed of 222 Mhz, your game will load roughly twice as fast. If you don't believe it, go ahead and start a multiplayer game of Star Wars Battlefront II with a friend running the iso. He'll be in there selecting his team about 35 seconds before you. Also the extra battery life is a nice bonus, as well as the ability to fit about 3 UMDs on a memory stick (1 Gb) so you don't need to carry around all those cases. I realized the other day playing lumines with a friend at work that the UMD drive is also very noisey. I had forgotten the irritating sound it makes while playing as I'd ISOed everything long ago. I'm never going back. The argument of protecting your UMDs carries very little weight with me, the little things are pretty durable, but I despise them nonetheless. It's like playing all of your PC games off the CD when you have a perfectly good hard drive in there. If you have the option to install it, it's far superior.

yudonomi
January 13th, 2006, 04:21
So this developer has made a choice that will probably keep a number of people from trying his software. Fine. Of course, it would be hypocritical for him to allow using support files from the full version of Quake II, right? By his anti-ISO logic, you should be playing your purchased Quake II game from its original CD-ROM, on your PC or your Mac. Shame, I was planning to copy over (backup) files from my Quake II CD.

melancholy
January 13th, 2006, 04:23
The problem I have with the ISO protection is the fact that it supposedly detects loader directories too. I have a 1.5 PSP and a UMD of PoPoLoCrois. That game will only boot on a 1.5 PSP if you boot the UMD through Fastloader. No other method will make the game work. So to play Quake 2, I can't play my PoPoLoCrois UMD, and vice versa.

I can understand that he wants to prevent pirating, but this is not the way to do it. Pirates go to great lengths to get their games to work on older firmware, and therefore won't think twice about hacking his work to get around the protections. So the only people he is blocking out are the people that typically do not pirate games.

HeX
January 13th, 2006, 04:53
This guy is my hero, hes risking his game, no, his reputation for what he beleves in, and I support him 100%. If ISO loaders were never made then sony would have not been so hard on blocking homebrew, and games like GTA might even be working with 1.5! Also to all you people who use your PSP to run "backups" you are part of the problem. You dont need backups! Loose your game? buy a new one! Break your game? Buy a new one! Want to play your game at 333? do it some other way or dont do it at all. DONT SUPPORT ISO LOADERS. I strongy encorage all developers to include iso blockers in there homebrew! "Help the scene! Just say no to ISOs!"

Psyberjock
January 13th, 2006, 05:13
You dont need backups! Loose your game? buy a new one! Break your game? Buy a new one!

Hex, that comment is retarded. Fortunately for you, you seem to have an excess of money but most people don't have $50-60 to throw around everytime something unexpected happens. Considering the nature of a portable system, unexpected things can happen quite often. Home systems rarely have things break or get lost because they sit in one spot, a portable system goes places and its easy to break or lose something. Backups are protected as fair use by law. When you pay for a game you're paying for the license to use the software, not just the box and manual. That's why you can buy Adobe Photoshop online and never see a published CD or DVD.

bob_nugget
January 13th, 2006, 06:25
Urrrmm correct/flame me if I'm wrong, but isn't Quake 2 source release released under the GPL? (Or did McZonk just write it from the original release for mod creators?) Look at the id website (http://www.idsoftware.com/business/techdownloads/)

Cos I don't see any source code/GPL License around, which would make his Quake ][ port illegal pirated software. Seeing as McZonk hates piracy soo much, I'd hate to think he had pirated the Quake ][ engine from id software.

I also hate piracy and am in the software industry, but see the valid (to me) reasons for having ISOs, which are:
* legal backup (in some countries) of a game you OWN
* much faster load times over a UMD drive
* Laziness/portability - buy a big ole MS, and you don't need to take a stack of UMDs about (if you are rich!) - if I'm going on holiday my first priority is not a big stack of UMDs

Killing2Live
January 13th, 2006, 06:26
As i said before in another thread, I think its just really funny about how people have aneurysms when people talk about ISOs and piracy, I do realize that the reason that sony is stopping homebrew is because of piracy but Im sure that if sony did not care about either then you guys would care 80% less. Computer software piracy is 100x worse and you don't see people going crazy over a bootleg copy of photoshop or something when you talk about that stuff in forums. But another reason for ISOs which I believe is the best is carrying multiple games around on one card (2 Gb) its so much nicer. But I just think that its really wierd how people look at computer piracy and psp piracy as seperate things and freak out whenever someone mentions an ISO.

phazey
January 13th, 2006, 06:33
Getting back to the WIP theme, is the original pak0.pak of the full game supported in this release - it seems to power off my PSP after loading.........

Smiths
January 13th, 2006, 06:54
A) McZonk said he will release the source. So that's the end of that GPL crap thing

B) I love this. Anyone with a hex editor and a basic understanding can "undermine" this ASSHOLE'S ****ING BULLSHIT (sarcasm).

I love when programmers put their own shit into the programs. I've been supporting it since day 1 of this scene with everything I worked on.
We friggin' make the programs... you wanna use them? You agree to our License Agreement.

The same way you agree to any other company/person's when you hit "OK" on an install screen.

In fact, all these screaming kids coming out makes me applaud McZonk even more. I fargin' love when shit gets stirred up.

Oh, and yes I have used ISOs when I was playing my PSP constantly months ago (I'm back to my SP again). I fully support the argument that they load faster and run better from a memory stick.
I had an ISO of Hot Shots Golf, which is only available in Japanese here (in Japan, durrr). So I purchased a copy of the Japanese UMD despite never using it at all.

As mentioned before, the amount of "fair, legal" users of ISOs are countered tenfold by the "OMG DOSE IT PLAY GTA???!?1?11" crowd.

Logistics lose, sorry.
Go McZonk.

Shapyi
January 13th, 2006, 07:05
Well its basically their program, if they want to be anti-piracy freedom fighters props to them its their port. Don't want to support it, fine, if the port had music and sound it would be close to the quality of a PSP game I'd pay for.

Also, for those who support homebrew and not piracy, here is my opinion. Its not going to make a difference with Sony, if people are playing homebrew (legal or not) instead of buying PSP UMDs they are losing money. They make PSP at a loss, if someone just uses it for emulators, homebrew games, ports, etc they are hurting Sony the same way pirates are to a lesser extent. Atleast legal homebrew doesn't have that much of a moral or illegality as isos.

Its just pirated games are illegal and game developers with publishers spend a lot of money to bring to the public ;)

By the way, Quake II port = amazing, keep up the good work. Good luck fighting piracy too, haha :)

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 07:06
to all the people that attacked me, looking back
now maybe i wasint as clear as i could of been....
what i meant was that sony see's homebrew as an
evil just like iso stealing.....not that i thought homebrew
was evil.....
my point was that last time i check sony doesint
suport homebrew..and its one of the many things they
put out firmware updates to stop....not just iso stealing..
so anyway im sorry if i said it wrong and everyone
thought i was attacking programs or homebrew...i
was just pissed off and didint speak clearly...
SONY HATES BOTH...

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 07:09
just to add i think shapyi pretty much
sumed up what i meant to say...
so thinks shapyi lol..that was much clearer
with a lot less anger lol

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 07:26
yes yes i know i rant i rant...
what about the gameboy advance
psp homebrew emulator?, how is that
better then a iso loader?.
it lets you play pirated games for a
system that is still out in the market
and is still making money selling
software..you know nintendo is loseing
money from the gba emulator's out there..
now why is that ok for this website
but an iso loader isint?
in reality they are the same thing..
and i for one will honestly say that
once the gameboy advance
emulator and the snes emulator
for psp gets up to full speed..
i probable will play them both to
death...and so will other people...
but what thats ok because its
"emulation"?
ya bull @$#%.....

once again im not atacking
anyone here...just trying to
make a point...

bob_nugget
January 13th, 2006, 08:10
A) McZonk said he will release the source. So that's the end of that GPL crap thing

I love when programmers put their own shit into the programs. I've been supporting it since day 1 of this scene with everything I worked on.
We friggin' make the programs... you wanna use them? You agree to our License Agreement.

The same way you agree to any other company/person's when you hit "OK" on an install screen.

Yeah - if he used the GNU Public Licence (GPL) source, this kind of licensing is the problem. His app doesn't have the GPL with it. Having the GPL with derivative works is a term of the GPL. So he's breaking the license by distributing it, and it is warez, even if the source is available. So it isn't the end of it! McZonk could find himself in deep trouble with id Software for his distribution. He probably won't cos (I think) they are fairly decent for a major games company (they release the source to their games!).

My point with the GNU stuff is, it's funny seeing anti-warez protection... in what's technically warez :D.

Anyway, back on topic (although I think people will remember this version for the wrong reasons). The new version looks great! (I've loaded it now). Awesome work! When the full Quake ][ works (with networking!), it's going to cost me a lot more than a commercial game to get a 2gig memory stick and fit all the mods on! Sony won't like this much - they won't be getting much of a cut, and nor will the paid up developers. Oh well.

J sims
January 13th, 2006, 08:12
Am I the only one here that knows 60 seconds with fileasistant equals quake 2 and iso folders on the same card.

soatari
January 13th, 2006, 08:16
I realize that most of the ISO runners out there are pirating, but there are truly good reasons for it (running ISOs, not pirating). Play Midnight Club 3 on UMD, then play it from ISO. BIG BIG BIG difference in loading time (waiting 5 minutes to load a race is retarded). That and if you run at 222mhz (standard PSP speed) your battery life is increased.

Now you can speak out about how "all those n00bs are ****ing up the industry* and other immature ranting and language, or you can just accept it the way it is. Some people do it legally as they are allowed to (read up on it, they are indeed entitled to make a backup copy) and some people just pirate. Don't go condemning the whole crowd when not all of them are doing bad.

Vancougar
January 13th, 2006, 08:24
Hey, McZonk is an awesome developer and he's very entitled to his strong opinions over what is going on with the scene. I feel he had every right to let us know what he felt about the whole ISO thing. It's not like he's blocking out homebrews, he's just blocking a form of backup that is being misused to facilitate the piracy that's killing this scene. What McZonk did came out of alot of respect to companies that may be getting short changed by all the freeloaders out there. He's done a tremendous job with Quake 2 and he's made a difference here one way or another.
Besides, to all the ISO people (who use it to freeload and not back up; really what isos should be used for), why not take the money you could have spent on that game you ripped and buy a new memory stick to run it on.
As for the emulation deal, I know if we could buy those games we would; but we can't so what choice do we have? If developers are concerned with people grabbing their games online and not getting any money for it; i have an idea, re-release your games on a current-gen system. Then you can get us all to buy the game again with extra bells and whistles and make all that money all over again. Gameboy Advance emulation, however is where i draw the line because it's like a 5 yr old system and you can still buy those games with little to no problem whatsoever. It's cool that we have an emulator to show that a PSP can run GBA games but it wouldn't be cool to see people abuse that emulator to play alot of shit for free.

Topknot
January 13th, 2006, 09:33
End of the day, its not about if its better playing your backups from mem stick, thats not the argument here.. the guy didnt want to be seen to advocate it. You wanna stop turning the thread into an argument over loading times and overclocking cpu's. End of the day, all you people who legally use backups MUST realise that for every 1 person legally backing games up theres probably 10 times that not paying for those backups? regardless of how well Wipeout runs from memory stick, surely you can see that? I'd stop taking it as a personal insult guys...

Besides hes got a right to do what he wants with his work, its hard work making a program, especially when 70% of sceners are ungratefull whining gash sacks demanding everything thats not available at launch, and moaning when they dont get it right away for free.

snkrock25
January 13th, 2006, 10:29
Rock's 2 Scents:

1. Since when is me having a ISO folder on MY psp any of anybody else's business? thats like me peekin in ya bathroom window...seriously what if people start doin this so you dont have competing developers programs?

2. Hurts the homebrew scene? you act like homebrew has a good reputation!
last i checked, sony is pissed at all of us! i mean, these guys cant sell a game cus of all this homebrew stuff, they had to go out and make a web browser and ipod casts so they can get some breathing room

3. If this is justified, I nominate a script that demands you send the author of any and every emulator a photo of the retail copy of every NES/SNES/GBA game u try to play on your psp before it lets it load. i mean seriously guys, if you dont own a copy of these games your playing, YOUR REALLY HURTING THE HOMEBREW SCENE...wait...isnt most homebrew emulation of existing software?

4.Screw the homebrew scene, you guys are hurtin my PSP scene! all you homebrew guys are makin game developers go make games for the DS. Man if it wasnt for hollywood, idunno if the PSP would still be alive....

**looks at psp news menu....gba emulator, snes, puyo puyo, tetris, man i dont own any of this stuff anymore, someone should put in a script to lock up the psp if you dont have the retail copy...

oh, dont think game companies care if you emulate old games? just look at the companies tryin to put out compilations and see if you get any positive feedback, seriously, capcom and nintendo have shut down and disbanded many sites for hosting their roms.

where is the educational purpose of studying the emulation of atari lynx on psp? with the way things are lookin with this app, you'd probably want me to go out and buy one off ebay before i should play it...man what if doom wasnt even shareware...

no im not against homebrew, otherwise why would i be here? i just like to point out how funny these convo's are, lmao, man u guys make me chuckle

PLEASE SOMEBODY YOU GOTTA DO THAT THING WHERE YOU LIKE TAKE APART EVERYTHING I SAY BY PARAGRAPH AND CRITICIZE IT TO MAKE YA FEEL SMART, I LOVE THAT ISH!! LMAO

hold on i gotta pass to the left hand side, haha

tsurumaru
January 13th, 2006, 12:20
Rock

You bring up some interesting points especially with the issue of emulation and its grey legal standing.

Homebrew (independantly released applications & games) and PSP adapted Emulators and isoloaders should be considered differently as their aims are quite different (although in the current situation the boundaries are somewhat blurred).

I happen to disagree that Sony are particullarly worried about homebrew as defined above, remember the playstation one home development kit? Besides, most of the homebrew applications either add functionality that users demand (and will probably be added by Sony in future firmware updates if demand is directed to them) or are experimenting with the systems capability.

The main reason that Sony's games sales are poor are that they are both overpriced, and of poor quality (with some but few notable exceptions). Until software companies really get to grips with both the system and the type of games the user wants and the prices are a little more aggressively marketed then they are likely to dissapoint.

Just remember this is my personal opinion, but do I really want to play a card based MGS game, or Armoured Core in which you can't pilot the Mech? Where are all the beat em ups, fighting games or 1st person shooters? The only areas which seems to have done well so far are puzzle and driving games (with GTA being a psuedo driving game).

I hope we'll see things change in the coming year with some quality titles in the works.

Produkt
January 13th, 2006, 12:59
Rock, FYI the home brew scene does have a good reputation, "homebrew" isnt limited to the psp or any other console for that matter.

PMP Muxer, not the psp app, is PC homebrew.

and since we are on the subject of iso's bittorrent is a homebrew.

a good deal of free PC game you have (thats legaly free) Is homebrew for the most part. Saying the home brew scene has a bad image is far from the truth. Its true that sony wishes that the homebrew wasnt as entertaining because they need to sell games for the console to survive.

Fact of the matter is every console is worth more in parts by retail standards than they sell it for. Take the xbox 360... if you had the patients/ability thats the power of a 1,000 dollar computer.

Now I admit McZonk fudged up rather badly on the GPL ordeal infact I was waiting for some one to catch up on it.

because the game is to have the license included and a means of obtaining the source code.

you can request the source code and legaly he is required to comply...

As for ISO's (the legal owners) Sure it loads faster but wouldnt you rather have movies or music where that 300 meg file is? Seriously thats space which can be better used.

McZonk ignore them. you have every right to do that now quickly make sure you get that license out.

Timale-Kun
January 13th, 2006, 14:48
i used to play ISOs before (I know it's wrong like everybody knows)but how can i know some fabulous games who will never gonna be released in UE, I mean Japanese and US games ( i know there's internet sellers for that but don't trust in internet transaction).There's a lack of demos right now.

I've got japaneses UMD games(Thanks to a friend who made a trip right there bring me some cheaply)but can't make trip to Japan when I want.

I think McZonck is free to do what he thinks is good to do(even if isn't the best way for some,but he can attempt what he want), we all are in free nation right!!!If you don't agree with him,you can, be but isn't a reason to yelling on him, same to every coders/programmers who spend their time to improve the Homebrew scene Freely(some of U forgot that).Don't agree!!don't download it, or remove your isos from your Memorystick for enjoy this port...Stop insulting and do it yourself if your not happy...

P.S.It's a way to show another face of hombrew Scene to Sony...Keep Going McZonck...

Topknot
January 13th, 2006, 15:59
Rock's 2 Scents:

Since when is me having a ISO folder on MY psp any of anybody else's business? thats like me peekin in ya bathroom window...seriously what if people start doin this so you dont have competing developers programs?
Since when is me keeping my mums dead body in MY bathroom anybody elses business? I dont care if you have peeked in my window and seen it... seriously, what if the police turn up and start taking my cadavers away so I cant compete with the local mortuary for body storage?

I mean, so what if I dont want to renew my tax disk on my car? Its nobodies business what I do with MY automobile, even if the police have peeked into my car windscreen and realised my tax is 5 years out of date.... seriously what if the police came and impounded my car so I cant compete with the post office and the car tax agency? :rolleyes:

jman420
January 13th, 2006, 16:22
Ok i can understand using a iso and daemon tools for computer, but for psp. . . play it the way it was supposed to be played, offa the UMD, i dont care if you "get faster gameplay" cause i know you just download them from kazaa and are to cheap to get the UMD like the rest of us

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 16:44
Hahahahhahaahhaha
I Rest My Case

You Know Really Now That I Think About It
Who Really Gives A Damn What We Think Anyway?

We Arent The Ones Making The Program's,
In Reality Im Sure All This Attacking And Talking
Isint Going To Change A Thing With Homebrew,
Except Maybe Get Us All Pissed At Each Other When
Last Time I Checked We Where On The Same Team

ajsblingbling
January 13th, 2006, 16:49
i think its importent to point out the fact
that right now psp doesint have any game
demo's, i think maybe if it did piracy would
go down a little.
demos make it so people can test the software
for themselfs first(something thats importent
to me, that i can only do with iso's).
and it creats a buffer bettween when a game
gets hyped and the person wants it and
when they have the money to buy it.
its nice to window shop, so sue me.

Sharkey
January 13th, 2006, 18:06
beta yay.
but i have to choose between isos and quake huh?
wonder which i will pick.

niether i have 2 psps. :)
odd descision there mczonk, i understand the arguments from boths sides so...
congrats on the release.

does this mean it wont support non id made mods?

vidgrip
January 13th, 2006, 18:46
I don't generally post...I guess I'm kind of a parasite, I come to this page every day, sometimes twice a day and read the news, DL some new toy, and move on. I appreciate what the coders do, probably because I can't do it myself, and even if I could I don't know that I'd share the games and apps, and listen to the grief that these developers get.

McZonk ported a great game. He put alot of time and effort into it. If he wanted to make the blood blue, or wanted to make giant penises instead of Anub chasing you around that would be his decision.

So, he made it more difficult to play ISOs, not impossible, but more difficult. WHO CARES?

His Port, His Code, His Decision.

Nobody cares what you have on your MS he's just making it a little more difficult for you to play his game if your dealing with things that are questionably legal at best. By doing this to some small degree he's sending a message to SONY that Homebrew does not equal piracy. This is a message that every one who's playing legal homebrew and PD emulation should get behind or SONY may find a way to stop the Homebrew scene (version 2.75, 3.0, 4.0...)

MaxSMoke
January 13th, 2006, 19:24
If you don't think there's a reason to use ISO dumps over the actual UMD, then you've never played Untold Legend on a memory stick. The UMD (2nd game I purchased after the PSP Launch, I own 40 games, loser) takes about 30 to 45 seconds to load *EVERY* flipp'n level. I've seen that scrolling text at the bottom so much, I think I can now read Elfish!

But with game on a Memory Stick, levels take 5 seconds to load. Thanks to Sony's stupidity, and idiots like McZonk, current 2.0 firmware games can't be loaded on a Memory Stick. And games like Sim2 are completely unplayable due to this INSANE loading issue. Sony should have found a way to make ISO loading on a memory stick a Standard feature! And McZonk should mind his own freak'n bizzness.

Pardon me if I don't bother downloading or playing anything by him. He can take his Quack2 ripoff and cram it.

RedKing14CA
January 13th, 2006, 19:41
If one of your UMD's is broken (the "box" is cracked & such) then you can either use FileAssistant to rename the ISO folder, or just put the game on your 32mb stick... (if your using ISO's most are bigger than 32mb, hence forth you need a bigger memory stick, which means yu should have your old one.. i dont think you can play the full quake 2 yet.. can you?

NeoXCS
January 13th, 2006, 21:05
Some people are so ungrateful. He spends hard time coding and people yell at him and call him an idiot. He did a great job. End of story. Don't diss the coders. They do stuff for you for free. They want to make psp homebrew fun for everyone. Just break the protection with fileassistant and go play games if you want, but dont whine about it. I understand the speed issues with some games but don't yell at McZonk about it. Don't put coders down. Use positive criticism. Politely tell him it's an inconvienece. He might change it, but if he doesn't he has that right. Please be grateful people.

KingPepper
January 13th, 2006, 21:07
My Views are as follows............I am a CollectorHolic,
Back in the Days of the ZX-Spectrum Remember that Machine, Pocket Money prices from £1.99 to £14.99 the games were, that was the best time of all for me, as that machine i could program in Basic as well as Z80 Assembly Language!!!!!, so in the End i had collected (Bought) wait for it........Over 750 titles, now with the aid of a Emulator on PC or PSP now, i can play any one of those titles!!!!!!, Brings back great Memories, i sold most of them to my local Gamestation store, & got 10p - 50p(for the big box Titles) each, i was well Pissed off, thats all they are worth now, & yet they were all Originals, some were very Rare to get hold of!!!!!!
I now wish i never spent all that Money on them!!!!!!!
I learnt my lesson with those games, & will never Buy Huge amounts of games again!!!
So the Logical Thing to do is Download the .ISO's First, if i play them for more than 3 Days then i will Buy it, knowing that i will Enjoy it..........Simple!!!

Example.......I didn't know which Football or Soccer Game to you American's to Buy,
So i downloaded both games FIFA 2006 & Pro Evo 5, Tried them both, Problem is, i liked them both so bought Pro Evo 5, but to my horror doesn't work on FW 1.5, i had to upgrade, within a couple of Days i noticed that Pro Evo 5 had been Hacked on the web so it worked on 1.5, and two weeks later i bought FIFA 2006 as well , with my next Pay packet,
As i find i get bored very quickly with the Games.......i only play each .ISO i have on my Hard-drive say two - three times & move on to the next one.........
Problem is now, the latest games don't run FW1.5 so i can't Demo each game to see if i like them or not enough to go out & Buy it, By the way i bought GTA on PSP because everybody was saying it was Excellent, but it was as boring as the ones on PC & PS2, so wasted my Money there, all £34.99
Hence why i like to try thing's first, But Can't now!!!!!!

So now i just collect all the .ISO's so i can say, i have every game on the system,
Even though i can't play...Oh well, at least i have my Speccy Emulator still :D

PS..........Yes i know Blockbusters allows you to try PSP Games out first, But for a Price Yet again!!!!!

SONY IF YOU ARE READING THIS..........Let us have our Homebrew.......

STOP THOSE BLOODY FIRMWARE UPDATES

Sharkey
January 13th, 2006, 22:03
has anyone gotten the full version to work?
i copied over the 179mb wad from the disc i bought and replced it with the trial one but no luck.
it freezes loading up the game.

i do realize its a beta so don't flame me. :D

Smiths
January 14th, 2006, 03:33
Thanks to Sony's stupidity, and idiots like McZonk, current 2.0 firmware games can't be loaded on a Memory Stick.

That has to be my favorite so far in this thread. somehow McZonk is equated to Sony's stupidity... and I don't get it.

That really made me laugh.

"My load times are so long but on my Mem Stick it so short! Because of Sony and Mczonk, games require newer firmwares"

Buh-wha??

Darkshard
January 14th, 2006, 04:40
To be honest, the only ISO I use is my Wipeout Pure ISO, and I DO own the game. But I have good reason, isoloader lets you overclock and Wipeout running at 333 is smooooooooooooooooth as silk. :D

On that same note however, I don't mind the piracy protection on this quake 2 port. We need ways of convincing the public that stealing is wrong, if punishment doesn't work, why not reward to those who don't steal?

Case in point, if you play all your games legally, then there should be no problems playing Quake 2 on your PSP and you rightfully deserve it. That is... unless the Quake 2 maps were pirated! :O DUN DUN DUN...

tris666uk
January 14th, 2006, 16:11
I personally think that McZonk is doing something amazing here. GPU graphics is coming on nicely. Oh. McZonk just need some help with the Quake 2. I have the official Q2 cd and I was Wondering if the full pak file runs on Q2 PSP. I hav V1.5 PSP.

omniosiris
January 14th, 2006, 16:32
holy crap, stop bitching guys. I can see why so many people hate the PSP scene, McZonk spent HIS time to port quake II so you can play it.....and he didn't recive a penny from any of you. and now you guys think you have a right to flame the crap outta him because he put iso protection in his program!? First of all its really easy to get past...and second if it bothers you that much then don't play it, its not like he's forcing quake II on your PSP. Sheesh

Jdemon
January 14th, 2006, 18:42
Many thanks to TeamEmergencyExit for this release and hopefully a great future for Quake II PSP ahead of us. I haven't really had time to mess with it too much but I'm excited to see this great work is finally available. :D

It's unfortunate that you added this "ISO Gamer Protection" but not for what's been said already. Now instead of everyone talking about the great game that you're working so hard on, there are 6 pages of people bickering about ISO usage pros/cons. I just think it's a bit hypocritical if you ask me. It's not up to you to decide what I do or don't do with my PSP. I understand you did it to send a message, but in the process I think you've frustrated alot of people. Here we all are not wanting Sony to control what we do with are PSPs, and you're trying to do the same thing. I just hope you haven't doomed your own project in the process.

snkrock25
January 15th, 2006, 04:41
eh, whatever, i just hope all this discussion gets some guys to not implement code like that again.

that sucks for people who have iso's on their systems that were purely rips of web browsers from games or whatever.

either way this is like borderline sony with the firmware updates, so now we're policing each other?

"if you turn your back on your friends too many times, you'll face your enemies"

------§IGN@UR3 To catch me, you gotta be fast. To find me, you gotta be
smart, but to be like me, $hit....you gotta be kidding.--------

Festizzio
January 15th, 2006, 05:17
eh, whatever, i just hope all this discussion gets some guys to not implement code like that again.

that sucks for people who have iso's on their systems that were purely rips of web browsers from games or whatever.

either way this is like borderline sony with the firmware updates, so now we're policing each other?

"if you turn your back on your friends too many times, you'll face your enemies"

------§IGN@UR3 To catch me, you gotta be fast. To find me, you gotta be
smart, but to be like me, $hit....you gotta be kidding.--------
He did it because he doesn't support isos. If you take the tremendous amount of time and effort Mczonk put into Quake 2, THEN you can decide whether or not to include iso protection.