PDA

View Full Version : What's the Worst Thing You've Done to a Piece of Hardware?

wraggster
November 3rd, 2008, 16:29
Someone walking through the parking lot of my apartment complex and seeing a shattered DualShock laying on the ground probably thought someone had a little temper tantrum mixed in with his Bioshock last night. Actually, that's only half right. I wasn't mad at a game, but I was mad at the controller (of course, I'm not to blame). I'd spilled Dr. Pepper all over myself and some got in the left thumbstick. Suddenly I could not move to the right anymore. That's kind of important in a game like MotorStorm: Pacific Rift. It's kind of important in any game, actually. I tested it against my other controller, restarted the machine, let it dry out, nothing. So, $60 got me barely a day's worth of use of this controller. I said why not, heaved it over a row of apartments here and into the adjacent parking lot.

The weekday guys forgot to do a TUD and I know everyone likes weighing in, so I'll ask you here: What's the worst thing you've ever done to a piece of hardware, and why? Bonus points for details like people harmed/frightened by the act. Tell us everything about your rage! Tell us, dammit!

http://kotaku.com/5074202/whats-the-worst-thing-youve-done-to-a-piece-of-hardware

newb_fo_life
November 3rd, 2008, 16:48
I once smashed up a laptop that had been damaged by smoke and didnt work,Was pretty damn good,I also threw a sledge hammer at a crt monitor (big boom coz its vaccumed)

It was pretty damn cool

pspmodel1001
November 3rd, 2008, 18:04
The worst thing I've done to a piece of HW was when My iPod back light would not stay on unless I squezed it. One day I squezzed it a little too hard a heard a scratching noise. So I restarted the iPod and as I thought, I scratched the HDD. After that, I left it alone for a couple months. Now I got back to my iPod months later and desided to open it up.*Was completly bored at this point* I wanted to see what was in an iPod. I took it COMPLETLY apart. After that, I wanted to know what the HDD looked like inside, so I opened it up. But doing that, I broke a piece off. All I have left of the iPod is the screen and the torn apart HDD. That was a fun day!

noname1
November 3rd, 2008, 18:31
The worst thing I've done to a piece of HW was when My iPod back light would not stay on unless I squezed it. One day I squezzed it a little too hard a heard a scratching noise. So I restarted the iPod and as I thought, I scratched the HDD. After that, I left it alone for a couple months. Now I got back to my iPod months later and desided to open it up.*Was completly bored at this point* I wanted to see what was in an iPod. I took it COMPLETLY apart. After that, I wanted to know what the HDD looked like inside, so I opened it up. But doing that, I broke a piece off. All I have left of the iPod is the screen and the torn apart HDD. That was a fun day!

Haha another ipod accident.
I also destroyed my ipod.
I just put ipodlinux on it and it was working fine i really loved it to play some doom and watch movies but one day the ipod couldn't boot so i was angry and hit the screen with my fist and it cracked but it was a really gentle punch:D.
So i also opened my ipod and it worked again! i removed ipodlinux and i had a working ipod nano 1st gen! but the screen was f*cked up and i couldn't see anything on it again.:(

Oh yeah another thing.
I had a M3 perfect SD and a passkey 2 for my ds i really liked them but my SD card and passkey got screwed up after a while.
I threw those thing at the wall (the only way to get them to work)
but my passkey is broken now maybe my M3 too:(.

pspmodel1001
November 3rd, 2008, 18:50
WOW.

Also a friend of mine had an old GBC w/ a cracked screen. After awhile of cracking the screen more with my thumbs, two of my friends grabed it out of my hands, took out the batteries, put a battery on the floor, put the GBC screen on top of that and stomped on it a couple of times. The next day, a few of my friends in one of my classes was trying to rip it apart. After a couple of people trying, It was completly ripped in many pieces.

That was the most fun I had with a GBC ever!

Chalkbot
November 3rd, 2008, 19:18
A friend of mine (I would never do this) took a machette to his psp after a frustrating experience in Monster Hunter. The rest of us were bummed out because we couldn't play PSP with him anymore. He eventually got enough money together to buy another one and things were back to normal. One of my other friends asked me if I heard about him destroying his PSP with a machette. I chuckled and said yes, I heard about it. Then he was like, I can't believe he did it again! Then I was like, wait, again? Yep, it didn't take long before PSP number 2 met the same fate as the original, due to Monster Hunter 2. I told him he should seriously consider getting rid of the machette, it would save him a ton of cash.

GibsonSGKing
November 3rd, 2008, 20:52
A friend of mine (I would never do this) took a machette to his psp after a frustrating experience in Monster Hunter. The rest of us were bummed out because we couldn't play PSP with him anymore. He eventually got enough money together to buy another one and things were back to normal. One of my other friends asked me if I heard about him destroying his PSP with a machette. I chuckled and said yes, I heard about it. Then he was like, I can't believe he did it again! Then I was like, wait, again? Yep, it didn't take long before PSP number 2 met the same fate as the original, due to Monster Hunter 2. I told him he should seriously consider getting rid of the machette, it would save him a ton of cash.

lol, that, or get rid of monster hunter :D

ian h
November 3rd, 2008, 21:21
i not so long ago threw my 600 pound laptop out my bedroom window, all because i was drunk and couldnt put my windows password in and thought it was my laptop and not me, stupidest thing ive ever done, oh yh that and selling my psp :-(

pspmodel1001
November 3rd, 2008, 21:28
i not so long ago threw my 600 pound laptop out my bedroom window, all because i was drunk and couldnt put my windows password in and thought it was my laptop and not me, stupidest thing ive ever done, oh yh that and selling my psp :-(

Next time yer drunk, hide it or lock it for later. Sold yer psp!? WOW:eek:

ian h
November 3rd, 2008, 21:31
Next time yer drunk, hide it or lock it for later. Sold yer psp!? WOW:eek:

i know yh im seriously losing my hair over both! gonna get a asus ee pc soon though and a slim! :D

mike_jmg
November 3rd, 2008, 21:47
worst thing I've done to a piece of hardware.......

can't remember any except that when I was a kid, my parents bought us a "Family entertainment system" kind of the pirate version of a NES (I also had a NES).

I wanted to play but I couldn't find the AC cord, so I plugged in another one that was laying around in my room, as soon as I did the thing started so smoke, It became useles after that

ian h
November 3rd, 2008, 22:02
mike jmg youve just reminded me of when i was young and had my first master system and i squirted a water pistol into it lmao and it broke of course!

Eviltaco64
November 3rd, 2008, 22:12
Once I had a semi-broken CD-RW drive.
I got so frustrated with it that 10 minutes later is was in pieces on the ice outside! :rofl:

jazzman1302
November 3rd, 2008, 23:17
Once i got so angry, i snapped a DS in two. Great Day

gutbub
November 3rd, 2008, 23:24
Well, I've broken more than one piece of hardware, so I'll list the three worst.
3) Recently, my microsd was corrupted. I got mad and snapped it in two.
2) My niece had a video now. It needed to be charged, but I didn't have the right adapter, but I found one that fit. The screen lit up a bright color, and froze there forever.
1) When I was 12 or so, my brother and I found a bunch of computers and monitors in the alley behind our house. I don't think I need to explain the rest.

kaferenza
November 4th, 2008, 00:48
Chucked a copy of Streets of Rage III against my wall that ended up slamming into my friend's head before it shattered:D

ian h
November 4th, 2008, 00:56
Chucked a copy of Streets of Rage III against my wall that ended up slamming into my friend's head before it shattered:D

LMAO!!!

watupgroupie
November 4th, 2008, 02:41
I lit a broken motherboard on fire and jammed it down a mexicans throat.

osgeld
November 4th, 2008, 03:27
a pallet of ~1980's 20 inch hp rgb crt's, a dumpster and a forklift, it was a good day at work as we drove them ouside, raised that bugger as high as it would go and chunked these nearly 100lb monsters into the dumpster

i saved one to use at home, set it on my computer desk and it started to bow, ALOT, pretty impressive since its 3/4 inch mdf over a 2 foot span (i still have the same desk over a decade later)

took it back the next day it became target practice, the screen was so thick a .22 rifle couldn't penetrate it , even after multiple shots in the same area

---
also shot a first gen ibook with that rifle, the back of the screen casing stopped the round, the front was a different story
---
got drunk and droped my laptop in a fishtank
---
hooked up an AT power switch wrong, fried 3 florescent ballets in the office
---
threw my sega genesis controller down on concrete and the A button came flying out (repaired it with a paperclip and superglue)
---
got pissed off at starfox, and yanked on the controller, riping the wire right out, soldered it back together and returned it to the video rental store
---
seriously overclocked my geforce 2 GTS, its gotten so hot the card wont sit in the socket square anymore, but still works, i have it in my dev machine, you just need a small wedge of wood to hold it in so the AGP connector lines up with the goldfingers
---
Intel pentium 3 vs AMD athalon endurance trials with no heatsinks, in the summer, in a non climate controlled wearhouse, overclocked
---
half drunk decided that the memory in my beige powermac WAS infact the same as the PC66 SDRAM, if i dremeled another notch in it, that was alot of smoke and sparks, machine still worked tho (technically it still does but its in storage)
---
dropped a skill saw on my ps2 while it was still brand new during a move, that machine never worked again .... with the screws in it, without them lasted another 4 years before i chucked it
---
sold my dreamcast
---

thats all i could come up with, im sure theres plenty more

Aryn
November 4th, 2008, 08:39
The worst thing I have done was leave a Sega Nomad in my backpack with hard objects that had sharp corners and then drop it. The next time I pulled the game system out of my backpack to play it the screen was smashed. Since Nintendo was still hocking those gameboy color systems and the Nomad was hard to find in my area I felt a sense of loss. But then, I got over it. :p

BastarB
November 4th, 2008, 08:55
Me and my friends got our hands on an abandoned nintendo 8-bit which my mom found in a garbishroom (what is it called in english, i don't know?)
However none of my european nes games seemed to load on that system so me and my friends thought it was broken, so we acctually threw it out of the window just for fun and it was smashed in to several pieces, killed forever.
Stupid kids we where, we didn't even relised that the system was from another part of the planet and therefore region-locked:(:(:(
And to make a NES region free is sooo freaking easy!!!
I would never trash a hardware piece like this today! Never!

Have a nice day everyone!