PDA

View Full Version : Hackers bamboozled by PSP 3000 security

wraggster
November 3rd, 2008, 19:08
I love these amusing articles posted by tech sites, heres another to read and amuse yourself at:

It's still early days in the life of the PSP-3000, which was released approximately 3 weeks ago, but Sony will be happy to hear that hackers have so far failed to exploit the latest hardware revision.

So far hackers have only been able to swap its CPU with that of a PSP Slim, but haven't been able to exploit the hardware in the same way as previous models.

Dark Alex, one of the most popular PSP sites for the hacking and homebrew community, has been unable to find a work around to hack the hand-held and the community as a whole appear to be stumped as to whether it will even be possible.

If it can't be hacked then Sony will have finally won its long battle against piracy and the homebrew community. Throughout the life cycle of the PSP, Sony has tried to thwart hackers by releasing firmware updates to improve security, but every time it's still managed to be hacked. PSP hackers have in the past been vocal about the fact that they're not actually interested in hacking the PSP to take advantage of copied games, but believe they should have the right to do whatever they want to the hardware.

Fanjita, a member of the hacker group "N00bz!", stated,

"Everyone has the right to do what they want with their own hardware. Piracy does upset me, and because what we are doing opens the way to piracy it's harder to justify it morally. But our stance on piracy is clear, and we hope to be role models. Sony have never been in touch with me, so I am confident that what we are doing is legal."

However. some people believe that by stopping hackers from exploiting the hardware, Sony is actually doing itself no favours.

Phillip Torrone from Make Magazine recently stated:

"I think the really smart companies should release their products to the alpha geeks for six months and let the alpha geeks play around with them. It seems to me they'd save a lot of money on R&D, and they'd come out with much more solid products."

The PSP 3000 is obviously going to be tough nut to crack, but there lies the challenge - something that the hacking community will relish.

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16194

carlitx
November 3rd, 2008, 19:32
"I think the really smart companies should release their products to the alpha geeks for six months and let the alpha geeks play around with them. It seems to me they'd save a lot of money on R&D, and they'd come out with much more solid products."

http://gaming.hexus.net/content/item.php?item=16194

haha yah i would say. Stupid Sony :P

Shrygue
November 3rd, 2008, 20:42
I'm sure that the series 3000 PSP will get cracked eventually, it just needs some more time as it has only been out in stores for a short while now.

darkdex52
November 3rd, 2008, 21:06
Since I own PSP-2000 it's only playing in my own good that the PSP-3000 is unhackable.

alanparker05
November 3rd, 2008, 21:52
In the short term i think the psp 3000 being unhackable is a good thing... It will mean developers have more incentive to make games if people have no choice but to buy, and that will benefit us with psp 1 + 2000's... Personally i'm thinking about making a voodoo doll of dark_alex and keep poking needles everytime i think he's making some progress on hacking it, then i can finally have some more games

mike_jmg
November 3rd, 2008, 21:55
I consider this will be a good thing on the long run as it might bring more interest from the developers to the platform

Sorry for the people that can't get a PSP slim or phat to play homebrew

Better handle my slim more carefully from now on, as it will become priceless.

Buddy4point0
November 3rd, 2008, 22:26
I would actually not care weather the PSP 3000 got hacked or not.
I'm not going to buy one with the scanline issue, and if it's not hacked it will help the PSP thrive.

havoc_012
November 3rd, 2008, 22:46
I'm not going to buy a 3000 (no scanlines please, kthxbye) but theres no reason to hope that the 3000 doesn't get cracked.

reluttr
November 3rd, 2008, 22:53
In the short term i think the psp 3000 being unhackable is a good thing... It will mean developers have more incentive to make games if people have no choice but to buy, and that will benefit us with psp 1 + 2000's... Personally i'm thinking about making a voodoo doll of dark_alex and keep poking needles everytime i think he's making some progress on hacking it, then i can finally have some more games

Umm I highly doubt that most of your psp homebrew makers can afford the 2000$+ Dev kit. Thats kind of the point of having the custom firmware, so anyone and everyone could develop for the psp for FREE.

Besides if sony calls a hardware design flaw a "feature" what do you expect for them to do when they have total control. I can see it now..."The game crashes are actually a feature to help gamers stop playing and take a break."

On top of that, by the 3000 being uncrackable only hurts the homebrew users... because it 1 stops new developers from emerging and 2 it keeps devs from replacing bad hardware.

Not to mention... If the system is locked shut, then I wont have cheat device for gta which destroys the overall playability of the game.

I for one thinks that sony will quickly regret what they have done "assuming it is as secure as they say". I mean look at apple, they saw what the user wanted and they provided somewhat of a solution "at least most people are happy now".

If you don't like homebrew and opensource software then you should NOT be on a website that specializes in homebrew and opensource software.....

carlitx
November 4th, 2008, 00:02

must-refuse-urge-to-call-names!

Dude get a grip.

there! thats all I am saying, if I say anything more it will be the "Homebrew with DRM" Forum all over again....

PS: Learn the damned fact before making posts like that.
PSS: I Hope DaX makes a doll of you.... and sets it aflame.

If you don't like homebrew and opensource software then you should NOT be on a website that specializes in homebrew and opensource software.....
exactly right.

BlueJinjo
November 4th, 2008, 01:03
Makes me a sad panda. I'm new around here but not to CFW. Finally had enough money to buy a PSP 2000 and its one of the ones that currently cannot be hacked. Luckily I still have a Fat PSP anyway, but this PSP is as is useless to me now in terms of what I wanted it for. Heres hoping that progress is made soon!

carlitx
November 4th, 2008, 02:00
Makes me a sad panda. I'm new around here but not to CFW. Finally had enough money to buy a PSP 2000 and its one of the ones that currently cannot be hacked. Luckily I still have a Fat PSP anyway, but this PSP is as is useless to me now in terms of what I wanted it for. Heres hoping that progress is made soon!

2000 can be hacked it's the 3000 your thinking of.

osgeld
November 4th, 2008, 03:18
I mean look at apple, they saw what the user wanted and they provided somewhat of a solution "at least most people are happy now".

omg i hope you meant the iphone, cause apple has a grand history of "crappin on their customers dinner"

oh nevermind they did that on iphone too... hey all you iphone users, nearly instantly were going to double the speed and half the price, and you cant have any of it unless you "upgrade" so FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC* YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! (buy a mac, which is just a pc at 3x the cost)

BlueJinjo
November 4th, 2008, 03:22
2000 can be hacked it's the 3000 your thinking of.

No, no. I'm one of the poor guys who got a TA-088v3 PSP 2000. I can't flash custom firmware onto it. :(

carlitx
November 4th, 2008, 03:52
No, no. I'm one of the poor guys who got a TA-088v3 PSP 2000. I can't flash custom firmware onto it. :(

oh shitty deals by. hopefully there will be some kind fo exploit soon. I know I waited for what seemed forever for the .tiff for my 2.80 (i upgraded without realizing lol)back in the day lol.

omg i hope you meant the iphone, cause apple has a grand history of "crappin on their customers dinner"

oh nevermind they did that on iphone too... hey all you iphone users, nearly instantly were going to double the speed and half the price, and you cant have any of it unless you "upgrade" so FUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUC* YOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOU! (buy a mac, which is just a pc at 3x the cost)

And I bet you have no knowledge of computers. MAC's are much much much better than any PC. The only thing is PC dominate the market, while a MAC has much much better performance. Do not come up with some pathetic argument as to why they do dominate the market, I already know why: most software is made for them (but now days most software is made for both mac and PC), They are as you say cheaper. But look at the quality, so on and so forth we can go on all day. But the fact is a MAC has little errors compared to a a Windows Operating system. So now I shall cite, as I have cited many times before when dealing with obnoxious people such as yourself. Learn FACTS before saying nonsense, Lay off the vulgar language and please for God's sake leave your poor caps lock alone :'( you hurt it when you do such meaningless crap like your "F you" comment. -_-

Yes I may be using a PC now with Windows XP SP3, But, I Duel boot haha. I have Linux Ubuntu on the bigger half of my hard drive. Windows is for games. Nothing more, nothing less.

PS: Oh and here is nice little fact Microsoft fanboy, Bill Gates, founder of your beloved Microsoft only came up with the first Windows OS after ripping off code from one of the original Apple OS's. And you can see Microsoft loves to live by those standers to this point today :). The NXE to be released on the 19th has "Avatars" instead of gamer pics, which look exactly like Nintendo Wii's Miis'.... And use Google for more, I just did that time out of pure curiosity and I found loads of information. Go ahead, look, I dare you!

BlueJinjo
November 4th, 2008, 04:19
Yeah I dunno how any of this really works to be honest. All I know is my model PSP and the 3000 can't be flashed right now, and I've heard mixed responses of it'll never happen or it will forever from now. Let's all hope than shall we:)

Drego
November 4th, 2008, 08:02
Sooner or later the 3000 will get cracked no doubt. When it does, I wont be there. I enjoy my phat, and I will stay with it for a long time.

As a side note....

And I bet you have no knowledge of computers. MAC's are much much much better than any PC. The only thing is PC dominate the market, while a MAC has much much better performance. Do not come up with some pathetic argument as to why they do dominate the market, I already know why: most software is made for them (but now days most software is made for both mac and PC), They are as you say cheaper. But look at the quality, so on and so forth we can go on all day. But the fact is a MAC has little errors compared to a a Windows Operating system. So now I shall cite, as I have cited many times before when dealing with obnoxious people such as yourself. Learn FACTS before saying nonsense, Lay off the vulgar language and please for God's sake leave your poor caps lock alone :'( you hurt it when you do such meaningless crap like your "F you" comment. -_-

Yes I may be using a PC now with Windows XP SP3, But, I Duel boot haha. I have Linux Ubuntu on the bigger half of my hard drive. Windows is for games. Nothing more, nothing less.

PS: Oh and here is nice little fact Microsoft fanboy, Bill Gates, founder of your beloved Microsoft only came up with the first Windows OS after ripping off code from one of the original Apple OS's. And you can see Microsoft loves to live by those standers to this point today :). The NXE to be released on the 19th has "Avatars" instead of gamer pics, which look exactly like Nintendo Wii's Miis'.... And use Google for more, I just did that time out of pure curiosity and I found loads of information. Go ahead, look, I dare you!

I partially agree with you...

To be honest, MAC's do have their fare share of crashes. I ran a G4 with OSX for a long time as my movie/music production computer. Had some ruff times. The reason people get a sense that MAC's are better/safer is the fact they don't tend to get virus' and that's because no one codes them since MAC's are a low % on the net.
As far as quality... you can not compare things like that. Quality comes from the creator of the product, so I am more inclined to buy parts/PC's from companies who make better products. For instance, I build PC's for people as a living. I tend to buy my motherboards from ASUS because of my previous experiences, as well as peer reviews. I probably wont buy a MOBO from say BIOSTAR unless it has some great peer reviews.
High Price does not equal good quality. (Same can go around where cheap does not mean low budget)
I've made a PC that ran up to $5k USD (which if purchased from Alienware came out to around $12k USD).

Bill Gates does not create everything Microsoft.....

All in all..... I think we should get back on to the discussion, and leave PC vs MAC fights to another forum.

PS: I <3 Ubuntu. I have a 4GB USB that has it installed so I can use pretty much any computer.

carlitx
November 4th, 2008, 15:13
Well I wasn't really generalizing hardware for quality, more or less software wise and such. I know Gates don't create everything that Microsoft comes up with.. I'm not an idiot. I was pointing out how it started with Him ripping off apple and how they live up to ripping things off to this day.

and agreed back to the regular discussion :P

Software and hard ware security is not perfect, if the hackers are willing they ill find a while after some period of time. They always have and always will.

dangee
November 4th, 2008, 16:19
Not sure about Voodoo dolls, but Sony certainly seems to
have a 3000-32 Hex on the Hackers & Crackers.

osgeld
November 4th, 2008, 19:03
And I bet you have no knowledge of computers. MAC's are much much much better than any PC.

um cheif crack open a mac made in the last few years, tell me what you see, a x86 intel processor, same board same memory, same everything, just a different os

The only thing is PC dominate the market, while a MAC has much much better performance. Do not come up with some pathetic argument as to why they do dominate the market

ok heres a good one then, open aratecture, and price

I already know why: most software is made for them (but now days most software is made for both mac and PC), They are as you say cheaper. But look at the quality,

its the same quality, its the same parts, a 1200$ imac has the identical components of a 499$ compaq

so on and so forth we can go on all day. But the fact is a MAC has little errors compared to a a Windows Operating system.

nowdays, but mac has had just as many problems in the past

So now I shall cite, as I have cited many times before when dealing with obnoxious people such as yourself.

least im not a fanboy

Learn FACTS before saying nonsense,
likewise

Lay off the vulgar language
ok mom

and please for God's sake leave your poor caps lock alone

i did it once to signify i was yelling the comment, thats what caps lock generally means on the internet, so i used it

you hurt it when you do such meaningless crap like your "F you" comment. -_-

just stating the fact, but if you didnt have your panties in a twist over using the caps lock, and being apples sole saviour, like i insulted your mother or something, you might have cought the point

good for you, i use Ubuntu 100% of the time, oh and it runs on my mac full time, so i have 2 virtually identical pc's, one is in a black box, the other is in shiny white plastic

PS: Oh and here is nice little fact Microsoft fanboy, Bill Gates, founder of your beloved Microsoft only came up with the first Windows OS after ripping off code from one of the original Apple OS's.

since when did i ever say i was a microsoft fanboy, i dont use microsoft products

and noone ripped code off, if you bother to get both sides of the story, they both ripped off the gui concept from xerox, even then its arguable if unix mainframes had it even sooner

about the only thing ms could be really accused of is ripping off how the mouse interacts with the computer via software, and you can thank a excited apple designer for letting that cat out of the bag

And you can see Microsoft loves to live by those standers to this point today

why? becuase they used pretty graphics in their latest os's? did apple invent pretty graphics too?

The NXE to be released on the 19th has "Avatars" instead of gamer pics, which look exactly like Nintendo Wii's Miis'.... And use Google for more, I just did that time out of pure curiosity and I found loads of information. Go ahead, look, I dare you!

so, now nintendo invented generic bubble avatars? trends are going to be followed, but to your logic microsoft ripped off sony by having a game console with a dvd player in it too, right?

dont be a hater, or a fanboy of shiny objects

BlueJinjo
November 4th, 2008, 19:14
Back on Topic about the currently unhackable PSP

I would like to ask the opinions of the veterans in the community. Since my PSP 2000 TA-088v3 is currently not hackable, I may have the option of exchanging it for a used PSP 2000 that I know can be hacked this coming Friday. Should I stick it through with this one or should I take the chance with a slightly used one (8.0-9.0 out of 10 condition, 10 being best).

I ask only because I dunno how long it may be before a way to hack can be found if any. I still always do have my fat PSP which is hackable. :confused:

bish
November 4th, 2008, 19:45
i'd trade it. you can always get a new case for it...

alanparker05
November 4th, 2008, 21:18
must-refuse-urge-to-call-names!

Dude get a grip.

there! thats all I am saying, if I say anything more it will be the "Homebrew with DRM" Forum all over again....

PS: Learn the damned fact before making posts like that.
PSS: I Hope DaX makes a doll of you.... and sets it aflame.

exactly right.

You obviously have no clue about the point i'm trying to make... I really like homebrew but i also like psp games, but the simple fact is as long as the psp 3000 is unhacked then the game developers will come back and the psp could have a future, so i'll happily admit i am selfishly hoping it takes some time before it gets hacked so the psp doesn't end up being killed off

Shrygue
November 4th, 2008, 22:14
I agree, more better quality games are needed for the PSP right now and the longer the 3000 series takes to crack the better maybe, get commercial devs to come back and crank them out. Want homebrew so much? Just stick with the older 1000 and 2000 models, for I don't see a rush to crack the newest one just yet.

Oh and please, let's not start a flame war folks, and keep things on track here.

fishyfish777
November 6th, 2008, 05:32
dudes. it's not gonna help much

gah i need a keyboard for my phat... back to the laptop...

but stopping d_a would most likely result in a rebellion/boycott and the psp would lose some sales, right?

Neuromatik
November 7th, 2008, 18:44

Just because the hardware can be exploited doesn't deter companies from making games for the PSP.

Take a look at the DS...100x more games and the R4 is cheap and easily obtained. Unlimited games.

carlitx
November 7th, 2008, 20:04
Just because the hardware can be exploited doesn't deter companies from making games for the PSP.

Take a look at the DS...100x more games and the R4 is cheap and easily obtained. Unlimited games.

exactly and if a company blames something like that, i wouldn't play/ buy the games to begin with. But just to piss em off more id download the games iso just for the hell of it and delete it again.

plus I cannot wait to get my NDS Lite flash card :P