PDA

View Full Version : Price Drops? Nintendo President Not A Fan

wraggster
November 4th, 2008, 16:24
Nintendo president Satoru Iwata doesn't seem like the biggest fan of the price drop. He says:

This is my personal thinking, but when the model's price-tag drops over time, manufacturers are telling consumers it's better to wait, and I've always thought that was a mistake.

Over the console's lifetime, companies are able to reduce manufacturing costs. Some companies pass those savings onto the console. Iwata apparently thinks this is a mistake? Not really. He goes on to say that it's important that the first people who go out and support a product aren't made to feel like they bought something at a loss. Point!

Nintendo wants everyone to pay the same price because Nintendo cares about you, me and mad profits.

http://kotaku.com/5075682/price-drops-nintendo-president-not-a-fan

Hypershell
November 4th, 2008, 16:53
I'm amazed people are still hung up over this. I guess its a testament to humanity's inability to cut through PR bullsh*#!.

Nintendo is a business, plain and simple, and like any other business their first concern is profit, not making the consumer feel warm and fuzzy. They will drop hardware prices if and only if they feel it necessary to boost sales. And since Wii has been essentially printing money for them since launch, that's not happening any time soon.

Demonsweat
November 5th, 2008, 05:26
He goes on to say that it's important that the first people who go out and support a product aren't made to feel like they bought something at a loss.

Eh? Then why make every DS phat or Lite owner feel that way now?

I can understand that they're just trying to make as much money as they can, but they should take into consideration what collateral damage they may be causing in the long run in terms of their image. Sony has payed big for similar mistakes.

Grey Acumen
November 5th, 2008, 07:22
I was going to make a point how Nintendo built the Wii to be within consumer price range from day one, but it's really beside the point.
Wii is selling out at $250 for going on 2 full years now. You don't give a price drop on something when you can't keep up with demand, that only generates more demand. People should be grateful that Nintendo has put limits on stores to keep them from being ABLE to raise the price, cause I've seen what those things have gone for on eBay.