PDA

View Full Version : Cultural Differences Change What Games We Like

wraggster
January 14th, 2006, 01:29
Looking at the world of gamers and we are a somewhat funny bunch, the japanese love their Role Player Games while the Americans love their American Football and Baseball Games whilst for me in the UK we love games like Fifa and Championship Manager.

Whilst hardcore gamers will try any type of games some people are stuck to just 2 types of games.

So for the sake of interest and this doesnt have to be PSP Specific because some game types dont exist yet, lets have your 3 favourite types of games and where your based and see if a pattern emerges (all in the name of fun)

Ill start

UK
1) RTS Games
2) Management Sims
3) FPS/War Games

answer with yours via the comments :)

jman420
January 14th, 2006, 01:38
USA

1) RPG Games
2) Real Time Stragety Games
3) Action-Platform Games

SkankinMonkey
January 14th, 2006, 01:38
1) Old Style RPG (FF5ish)
2) Turn Based RPG (Shining Force)
3) Racing or Shooters

Demibeard
January 14th, 2006, 01:39
Hi, post number 1, my three would be...

UK
1) Racing\Driving
2) Platformer
3) Shoot-em-up

Guess I'm showing my age. Big Grin

Psphreak
January 14th, 2006, 01:44
US

1. RPGs/Adventure
2. Racing
3. FPS

slayer2psp
January 14th, 2006, 02:15
usa
gta type games
fps
sports /driving/ football/ basketball/nhl
but ill try anything if it looks fun

bottlecap
January 14th, 2006, 02:20
im curious as to where this information came from you're basing this statement on. you may argue that japanese like to play mainly RPGs/sim games, as that is what many of the Japanese manufactures make. Japanese culture tends to stick with buying Japanese products.

As far as Americans playing mainly sports games, sure many American manufacturers create sports related sports games (as does Japan,) but that doesn't mean you will find Americans camping wal-mart for the next MLB title.

Europeans, who knows. Football is big there so I can understand that, as well as publishers creating racing games and the fact that many sports cars are created there could lend to driving game popularity.

My point is, preference lies in the individual. Don't judge what nations as a whole like because of what their local developers make. Countless times an RPG or Sim may come out in Japan to ONLY be released in Japan with no plan of leaving Japan. Does that mean that no one else in the world would play it? No.

1. FPS
2. RPG
3. RTS

indstr
January 14th, 2006, 02:21
1) 6 degrees of freedom games (Descent)
2) 3rd person action melée combat games
3) First Person Shooters
4) Racing games

PraiseBrad
January 14th, 2006, 02:21
USA

RPG
RTS
SHOOTERS (i hate first person shooters)
SIMULATION

pepegomez
January 14th, 2006, 02:25
GER

1.RPG
2.STRATEGIC ROUND BASED (like MG ACID)
3.NORMAL STRATEGICAL GAMES

tryqus
January 14th, 2006, 02:54
USA
Estados Unidos de America

1. Rpg/Mmorpg

2. Strategy rts/turn based

3. Fps

coheedcollapse
January 14th, 2006, 03:09
USA

1)RPG's (Preferably those with very intricate story lines - Digital Devil Saga, Xenosaga, etc)

2) Off the wall, hard to put into a genre games (Katamari, Eyetoy....)

3) Air Combat type games (Ace Combat)

coheedcollapse
January 14th, 2006, 03:15
In response to the rebuttal of the US generalizations, they're pretty true. Living around plenty of casual gamers, I find them drooling over 1) FPS (Halo...icky), 2) Sports games (Madden mostly) 3)...nothing else. They're usually graphics freaks that care more about the visual quality of a game than the actual quality, and no offense to the xbox fans, but that's generally their console of choice.

I live in a college town so this may be totally off compared to the rest of the country.

US gamers that actually like to put time into a game that i've seen usually invest in action, RPG, etc and leave the FPS's where they belong - on the PC :D

I promise this isn't a bitter tirade, although it might seem that way, I'm just stating what i see here on college campus.

Game Collector
January 14th, 2006, 04:23
Australia

1)RPGs
2)JP Adventure Games (think Comic Party Portable, Double Cast etc)
3)Action/Platform

kaos
January 14th, 2006, 04:24
US
1 Sports
2FPS
3Horror related games

Voltron
January 14th, 2006, 04:52
New England, U.S.A.

1.) Classic Style RPG (Final Fantasy 6, 7, 9, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross) also MMORPG's
2.) Turn Based Strategy RPG's (Final Fantasy Tactics, Fire Emblem, Shining Force)
3.) Side-Scrolling Shooters (R-Type, Pulstar for neo geo cd, Einhander

I think the PSP is a perfect platform for these type of games and was pleased with the recent releases of Legend of Heroes and Popolocrois. I hope more great RPG's are released or if some classics from PSOne can be ported over it would be great.

pspass
January 14th, 2006, 05:01
im from the us, no real orders on these but i like FPS RPG and racing games the most.

Privateer
January 14th, 2006, 05:59
US
Strategy
RPG
Action/Adventure

PlayingKarrde
January 14th, 2006, 06:06
I think a big factor too is the platform choice from each region. While in the UK and North America there is a pretty decent number of people who play both console (including handheld) as well as PC games. The platform of choice greatly dictates the sort of games people play. However, in terms of casual gaming, the big games cross this boundry and so can be played by anyone (although I think evidence would probably show consoles as being a closer casual gamer choice).

However, if you look at Japan and PC games are almost non-existent. Add to this online games are rarely played and singleplayer games are favoured over multi. This, I believe, is entirely cultural as Japanese gamers are not a social type.

Now if you look at Korea (where I am right now), it is almost the complete opposite to Japan. Console games are basically unseen (PS2 makes a very small appearence and I've seen a few PSPs floating around - this definately being the biggest none PC format here) and ALL games are online multiplayer games. Not only this, but games here are always free, but their genres cross all boundries. While MMORPGs will probably always be the first choice here, the actual biggest one right now is a mario kart rip off called Kart Rider (of course free). Koreans are the most internet ready nation in the world, but they don't play these multiplayer games at home: they are almost always played in PC rooms (ala net cafes). My point is though, that they do not discriminate by genre, merely by how fun it is to play with others.

I'm from the UK, but currently living in Canada, but have been in Korea for over a month now and its staggering how different the gaming cultures are from the different parts of the globe. You can see Starcraft on TV almost 24/7 here, or sometimes Kart Rider, Counter-Strike or some other crazy multiplayer game. In Canada its very much like in the UK, with tastes only varying in which sports are played (Hockey versus Football for instance) but I think NA and Europe are more similar than the East, and definately closer than Korea and Japan ever will be.

But after a long ramble I'd say I like:
Unique fun games
Games that can be played with others
All the rest (except most sports games, especially Champ Manager ;))

Chackan
January 14th, 2006, 07:03
1 - Rpg
2 - Action/Adventure
3 - Fighting

lilvietquoc
January 14th, 2006, 08:14
USA!!

(1) RPG!---devil may cry...metal gear "3"....some other game i own...=/
(2) First person shooter games.....couterstike---ghost recon---or games like metal gear which has both
(3) racing---midnight club "3"!

eretsua
January 14th, 2006, 08:56
the netherlands =/

1) shm'up (radiant silvergun, ikaruga, mushihimesama)
2) rhythm (frequency, taiko no tatsujin, vib-ribbon)
3) original / refreshing games (katamari damacy series) // Puzzle games.

JACKBURTON
January 14th, 2006, 09:42
UK

1 2D shooters (old school)
2 Driving/Racing
3 RPG (shining force, final fantasy etc)

Rix
January 14th, 2006, 10:13
uk

1) Tactical Espianage Action...You know which one (stealth games)
2) Beat em Ups
3) Rpg

im Suprised not many people have put down beat em ups, but i guess thats just the psp crowd. also, these are not the only games i play by any means, i still play pro evo, and mmorpgs, rts' etc

andrewgabriel77
January 14th, 2006, 10:43
Usa

1 Rpg
2 Fps
3 Gta

youngjoonshi
January 14th, 2006, 10:51
The Republic of Korea (South Korea)
대한민국:

1.Online Strategic games such as Starcraft(60%),Warcraft(20%)..etc.
The best players starcraft and warcraft players come ALL from Korea!

2. Free, 2/3D based online games such as Cart Rider(40%)...etc.
Addictive game...about 40% of Korea's whole population + 10 million other Asians play this game!

3. 3D Online RPG games such as Leanige 2 (wrong english spelling...I guess..)...Korean Online games dominate East Asia (about 50%) and already entered the US Online game market... :)

Anyway, that's it. Single Player games are actually NEVER played in Korea...you know games such as Sims2,Call of Duty2,Battlefield 2,Half-Life2,Doom3....Koreans only play games that are PURELY ONLINE GAMES.
Multiplayer is the keyword in Korea and East Asia.

PlayingKarrde
January 14th, 2006, 10:57
The Republic of Korea (South Korea)
대한민국:

1.Online Strategic games such as Starcraft(60%),Warcraft(20%)..etc.
The best players starcraft and warcraft players come ALL from Korea!

2. Free, 2/3D based online games such as Cart Rider(40%)...etc.
Addictive game...about 40% of Korea's whole population + 10 million other Asians play this game!

3. 3D Online RPG games such as Leanige 2 (wrong english spelling...I guess..)...Korean Online games dominate East Asia (about 50%) and already entered the US Online game market... :)

Anyway, that's it. Single Player games are actually NEVER played in Korea...you know games such as Sims2,Call of Duty2,Battlefield 2,Half-Life2,Doom3....Koreans only play games that are PURELY ONLINE GAMES.
Multiplayer is the keyword in Korea and East Asia.

I rest my case.

Oni
January 14th, 2006, 12:07
Hi im from little Denmark

1) FPS
2) MMO-RPG
3) RTS

Junior
January 14th, 2006, 12:14
Germany

1 - RPG (Ultima, Wizardry, Console-style Japanese)
2 - Strategy (both turn-based and realtime)
3 - Simulation games (flight/space mostly, some driving)

mcmonkey
January 14th, 2006, 12:29
UK

1.shmups (e.g.ikaruga, borderdown, sonic wings2)
2.Arcade Racers (e.g.Daytona USA, F355 challenge, Burnout)
3.Beat 'em ups (3D/2D dont mind i enjoy all(doesnt mean im any good at them mind))

can you tell what my favourite console is yet :)

Trauma
January 14th, 2006, 12:35
First off, would like to say hi to everyone and thx to Wraggster for a great site :cool:

UK

1) FPS
2) MMORPG
3) Racing (arcade not sim)

Joe88
January 14th, 2006, 22:21
USA

1) Racing games (sim and arcade)
2) FPS
3) RPG

crazy_biker420
January 15th, 2006, 01:06