PDA

View Full Version : Sega: Wii Is "The Most Expensive Board Game On Earth"

Shrygue
November 7th, 2008, 19:11
via Kotaku (http://kotaku.com/5079135/sega-wii-is-the-most-expensive-board-game-on-earth)

his thoughts on the Wii. And Darren Williams - like Sega as a whole, we'd wager - are still kind of torn. Sure, some games, and some things are working. Mario & Sonic, that worked a treat. But other things about the Wii present a little more of a challenge:
I think on one hand the Wii has become the most expensive board game on Earth - it's the kind of thing that families will play at Christmas, and probably won't play again throughout the remainder of the year. So things like Wii Sports, Wii Fit to a certain extent, that's great.

Great for Nintendo, maybe. And that's definitely a problem with the Wii, one that may start to rear its head 12-18 months down the line once a lot of these "new" gamers get sick of Wii Sports and Wii Fit. Wonder how companies like Sega (and Nintendo!) are going to overcome it.

WhizzBang
November 7th, 2008, 19:27
There have been a few of these anti-Wii threads from Kotaku recently. Someone has a chip on their shoulder because Nintendo took a huge gamble on innovation instead of increased polygons and definition and it has paid off.

The Wii has much more than Wii Sports, which is a great entry level game just as Tetris was for the Gameboy. Wii Sports also helps to win people over to the Wii controller which seems odd at first.

trugamer
November 7th, 2008, 20:13
TBH considering the number of poor games Sega have shown for the Wii calling it "The Most Expenisve Board Game" probably isn't wise if they don't want back chat.

Jay6
November 7th, 2008, 20:32
Brawl and Mario Kart Wii are played on a daily bases for a lot of people >_>;

Auriman1
November 7th, 2008, 22:13
My Wii sits proudly on its shelf, even more-so in a few weeks now that I've been seized by a case of Animal Crossing fever yet again, and shall be picking the new City Folk version up post-haste.

I'm also more than happy to play Brawl and MKWii with my friends whenever I get the chance to do so, and I thoroughly enjoyed the Okami and Resident Evil 4 ports with Wii controls.

Calling the Wii system itself a fad is a greatly mis-informed statement, although I'd definitely agree Wii Sports and Wii Fit don't see much action after a week or two of use from the average gamer, casual or not.