PDA

View Full Version : Are You A Patient Game Buyer? (No Launches For Me!)

wraggster
November 8th, 2008, 16:17
The big AAA holiday games are starting to hit store. Let's talk about that! Because today, today is time for TELL US DAMMIT. Here's how it works: We ask a question, you answer it. Simple and no strings attached! This isn't some marketing survey or whatever. It's an emotional investment in you. Yes, we're interested in knowing you, You probably know ****tons about us — more than you even want to, we're sure. But, hey, we'd like to know about you. That way you won't be some faceless blob — and we might feel a tinge of guilt when we ban your ass. Or not, because really we're incapable of human emotion. Waka waka.

Question: Are you a patient game buyer? Meaning, do you always buy new games (or hardware, for that matter) on the first day or are you able to wait the hype out?

http://kotaku.com/5080126/are-you-a-patient-game-buyer-no-launches-for-me

goshogun1
November 8th, 2008, 17:58
Well, considering how big my backlog is I am really in no hurry to rush out and buy new games the day they come out. Depending on the hype train, I might make exceptions. ie: Fallout 3.

jrsmaster411
November 8th, 2008, 18:26
I rarely buy a game at launch, this year only Smash Bros. Brawl, MGS4, and LittleBigPlanet

ojdon
November 8th, 2008, 18:30
The only game I got on the first day was Halo 3, other than that I'm not in any rush to buy games on the first day.

avtools
November 8th, 2008, 18:42
My experience is that it is much better and cheaper to wait a few months after launch... so you can get feedback from friends and forums, some patches will probably be out, pre-owned games are available, etc.

Also buying pre-owned games helps to save a few bucks for an additional game.

felipe123
November 8th, 2008, 18:54
I cant buy games the first they come out cuz i live in brazil and games take like a long time to come out here.
Most of the time i download them for my wii but i have to save like $200 to buy a ps3 game:(.

ICE
November 8th, 2008, 19:00
I almost never buy on day one. Im too cheap to pay full price..

devdj
November 8th, 2008, 19:21
i used to go and buy new games that cum out on the launch day nearly all the time around 2 years ago but now i don't see the point unless there is alot of hype for a particular game like this year i haven't seen any ads what so ever for psp games only ads for the ds, 360, ps2 and ps3.

kjetil1991
November 8th, 2008, 20:30
im a waiter always ;)

WhizzBang
November 8th, 2008, 20:37
I always wait. I have only just recently got Metroid Prime 3 and Mario Galaxy.

Sketchy
November 8th, 2008, 21:22
Depends on the game, ie Endwar I can easily wait a few months. That said Dead Space, Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Saints Row 2 were bought on day one!

Note that AAA titles being released so close to each other doesn't occur that often!

Peace

WhizzBang
November 8th, 2008, 21:59
That said Dead Space, Gears 2, Fallout 3 and Saints Row 2 were bought on day one!

Note that AAA titles being released so close to each other doesn't occur that often!

Peace

None of those are AAA titles. they are nowhere near the same league as Halo, Zelda, Mario, Metal Gear Solid and Gran Turismo.

jamotto
November 8th, 2008, 23:05
I usually don't get around to buying a game until it is a year old.

NOCHUCK
November 9th, 2008, 01:19
I useually don't but there are exceptions. I bought fallout 3 the day it came out but there's not to many games i get a chubby over while I'm waitin. The second exception is sports games, I bought NHL'09 the day it came out BUT I'm not buyin madden this year(gotta rotate, games are too damn expensive). Sports games are only good for a year then they aren't worth anything so get 'em asap in my opinion.

mike_jmg
November 9th, 2008, 01:27
I don't buy the games on day one, cause it's better to get some feedback first, although it depends on the game, for example Starcraft 2 has to be a day one purchase no questions asked (If it comes out someday).

Also, the only day one purchase I did, ended up badly, I thought burnout dominator wouldn't be that bad but I couldn't be more wrong, I played it later but I was very angry the day I bought it

GibsonSGKing
November 9th, 2008, 02:27
i am very patient. ive yet to buy a psp game for more then $11. and i have popolocrois, rainbow six vegas, medal of honor heroes, sid meirs pirates, and many others. many games are over hyped, and you cant decide you like a game just by watching pre launch videos, because some of the stuff in those videos isnt in the game, or is totally different then the video portrays. i just like to wait it out :D

dmac
November 9th, 2008, 03:43
i usually try to by the day it comes out if i really want to play it. with christmas coming i have a few on my list. i still haven't bought Resistance 2 yet!!!

Capn Makeveli
November 9th, 2008, 04:42
The only ones that I bought at launch was the n64 with Super Mario, The Wii with twilight princess, Mario Galaxy, and Mario Kart Wii. (Not much of a Nintendo fan eh?)

DarthPaul
November 9th, 2008, 06:44
If I have some spare money by the time they arrive, and I'm hyped enough for the game, I don't see why not.

None of those are AAA titles.

Eh, yeah they are.

Why do you think they mentioned the "AAA" term in the first post to start with? If those you mentioned are AAA, then there are no AAA titles coming this year...

____anders____
November 9th, 2008, 14:25
i have to get wrath of the lich king on thursday :p
and wii games, i usually get a few days before release :)

josflint
November 9th, 2008, 16:01
usually wait, only exceptions Tiger Woods & Final Fantasy(end up disappointed most of the time except for TW04(ps2),FF8(ps1)&FF10(ps2)...)

have got my daughter whinging for NHL09 for ps3 though...no doubt i'll cave in on payday (been putting it off cos she beats me too regularly since 07):mad:

Triv1um
November 9th, 2008, 21:57
I get the games i really really want on the day.

I also get consoles i really really want on the day.

If im not gagging for it, I dont buy it on release.

Emulation_Chief
November 10th, 2008, 19:23
Hello:

I always wait a little to buy games. Like everyone, there is always some titles I would like to have it on day one. But mostly, I wait to buy games until they're cheaper or I have the money to do so. I also do that on hardware. I expect to buy my PS3 late next year.