PDA

View Full Version : PSP: iR Shell v4.7 - the king of shells has returned

blackrave
November 10th, 2008, 17:22
Released today, iR Shell, developed by Ahman, has returned in version 4.7. It includes native support for custom firmware 5.00 M33-3 and a number of updates and improvements. Guess what it also has got in store for PSP Phat users? Infrared remote control learning! The site (http://www.irshell.org) has been revamped by osgeld and is looking great.

Full release notes written by Ahman below:

It has been a long time since the last iR Shell public release. Osgeld of irshell.org admin has convinced me to make another release, so here it is. You can thank him for bringing me out of retirement.

Below is the list of new feature summary:
- Support Dark_AleX latest 5.00M33-3 CFWs. Users of original 5.00M33 & M33-2 should upgrade to M33-3 to avoid incompatibility issues. The latest Popsloader 5.00 is also supported.
- An Infra-Red learning remote is added for PSP Phat. You no longer need to hunt pronto codes for your appliances. Just point your remote unit at the PSP and it will learn the iR code. It is available under higher firmwares and not fw 1.5 mode. Refer to the Release Note for usage details.
- The nethostfs connection handling has been redesigned to be more robust. However, iR Shell 4.7 and onwards can only connect to the new nethostfs PC server v2.1. Make sure you've updated the nethostfs PC server.
- Enhance UMD/ISO game compatibility via nethostfs MAX mode. Most previous failed games will probably work.
- Usbhostfs & nethostfs host redirection under XMB has returned.
- The Adhoc PC connection for nethostfs was broken since fw 3.71. This feature has been brought back for PSP Phat.
- Enhance the HTML Plugin (by Dark_AleX) to allow direct launching of flash games with extension SWF.

Special thanks to:
- Osgeld for spending so much effort in resurrecting irshell.org.
- Dark_AleX for the M33 custom firmwares and his assistance to help adding popsloader support.
- Tyranid and other developers in ps2dev.org for creating the pspsdk.
- Osgeld, StoneCut, F34R and other moderators who keep irshell.org running and providing technical support to the community.
- All iR Shell beta testers, donators, skins & plugin contributors.

Credits:
- M33 Custom firmware & popsloader are developed by Dark_AleX/M33.
- remotejoy & usbhostfs are developed by Tyranid.
- iR Shell bundled skins & plugins are developed by their corresponding authors.
- iR Shell Manual & FAQs are written by StoneCut.

Download Links:
iR Shell v4.7
http://rapidshare.de/files/40877597/pspirshell47.zip.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/4phqdv

Usbhostfs v1.8 for Windows:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40877532/usbhostfs_PC_Win_1.8.zip.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i3pa2k

Nethostfs v2.1 for Windows:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40877555/nethostfs_PC_Win_2.1.zip.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/1vgyuk

Nethostfs v2.1 for Linux:
http://rapidshare.de/files/40877564/nethostfs_PC_Linux_2.1.zip.html
http://www.sendspace.com/file/rjmca5

Installation Instructions:
- Unzip the archive and place the content to the root directory of your memory stick. Make sure to apply the irspatch under ms0:/IRSHELL/PATCH directory for your cooresponding firmware version.

For Technical Supports, pls visit www.irshell.org

Donations for Ahman: https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_xclick&[email protected]

Download links in the post. I keep getting errors when trying to upload the main application files as an attachment, so maybe a moderator can help with this?

Shrygue
November 10th, 2008, 19:39
Yeow, the new version is finally here, going to get IrShell now.

Baboon
November 10th, 2008, 20:41
Infra-Red learning for phat psp's sounds cool. :)

gamefreak199101
November 10th, 2008, 21:16
OMG I tested this out earlier and the infared learning is freaking awesome and all the other features all well, praise ahman for his hard work for the best shell ever developed for the psp system. not saying the others aren't good but this is beyond great. much appreciated for his hard work on returning to the scene

farris12
November 10th, 2008, 21:37
hmm the ir learning part is cool, but it doesn't 100% working here. Pointing the remote and press on a button works, but using the PSP as remote doesn't work, my hifiset doesn't react onto my PSP. Is this a bug or am I doing it wrong?

Buddy4point0
November 10th, 2008, 22:09
This is awesome!
I'm so glad IR Shell is 5.00 m33 compatible now.
And the IR code learning is great! That's a feature I've always wanted because looking for the codes is a serious pain.

Thanks Ahman, very nice job.

bish
November 10th, 2008, 22:37
damn, this is good :-)
thank you ahman and blackrave for posting

NOCHUCK
November 10th, 2008, 23:29
Thank you very much. You have made the remainder of my year much better. I can finally upgrade firmware and try out the psn store now too :)

b_simpson1999
November 10th, 2008, 23:39
irshell is bk kwl with remote learning even cooler i missed irshell its the greatest

Zephyroth_drgs
November 11th, 2008, 00:54
cool

abel09011
November 11th, 2008, 01:37
can someone explain to me how to use the learning mode to get ir codes? step by step and how to activate it? is it there on the menue? plz answer this is so frustuaring

blackrave
November 11th, 2008, 03:35
can someone explain to me how to use the learning mode to get ir codes? step by step and how to activate it? is it there on the menue? plz answer this is so frustuaring

The first step to solve the problem yourself, is to look in the documentation of the release. This easy-to-follow guide is from "Release_Note.txt":

Infra-Red Learning Remote Usage:
--------------------------------
1. Switch to RDF view, then press "START" button to bring up a learning remote popup menu.
2. Choose "EDIT" to edit an existing remote or "CREATE" to create a new remote (a new rdf file). Either case, it will launch the remote app as a separate application.
3. If you choose "CREATE", you will be prompted to enter the rdf filename and then the title for the remote. The title will be the same as the filename by default. You can modify it with the OSK (On Screen Keyboard).
4. A "LEARNING MODE" screen will be displayed. You can press any key combo to start learning an iR remote signal. Point a remote to the PSP iR port and press the key on the remote control briefly. Don't hold it for too long. After the iR signal has been learnt, the OSK will popup to allow you to enter the key description. Repeat the whole process until all keys have been learnt. You'll have 30 seconds to complete each key combo learning cycle.
5. If you re-learn an existing key combo, the previous learned iR signal will be overwritten and no confirmation will be given. If the key combo has already been defined as a macro key (by editing rdf file manually), learning the same key combo will overwrite the macro key definition. That is, it will now become a non-macro key. Pls note macro key can only be defined by editing the rdf file manually.
6. You can toggle between "LEARNING MODE" and "PLAYBACK MODE" by pressing "START" button. While in "PLAYBACK MODE", you can test the newly learned iR codes.
7. You can also set the repeat/single-shot mode for each button you learn. You can toggle the setting via the learning remote menu or press "LTRIGGER + START". The current mode is displayed after "LEARNING MODE" keyword.
8. By default, the iR Carrier Frequency is set to 40kHz which all Sony devices use. About 80% appliances use 36kHz-40kHz carrier frequency, and the default setting of 40kHz will work on them. However, if the default doesn't work on your appliance, you can try to find the carrier frequency for your device and set it by pressing "Right Trigger + START". FYI, RCA & many dish network satelite remotes use 56kHz.
9. Upon completion, press "SELECT" button to save or cancel any changes.
Button Usage under LEARNING mode:
START: Toggle between learning & playback modes.
Right Trigger + START: Modify carrier frequency.
Left Trigger + START: Toggle Code Repeat or Single-Shot. Repeat code will cause the learned iR Code to repeat itself as long as the button is held. Single-Shot code will only be transmitted once.
SELECT: Learning Remote Menu
SQUARE: Toggle Code Repeat or Single-Shot.
SELECT: All codes in the current remote will be converted to Repeat codes.
START: All codes in the current remote will be converted to Single-Shot codes.

The_It
November 11th, 2008, 07:19
hey, can anyone get the Infrared Code from a NES Sattelite? I want to play my NES with my PSP but I can't get it to learn the code from the sattelite.

urherenow
November 11th, 2008, 08:23
OMG!!! Please someone tell me... is there any reason for the 1.5 kernel addon anymore? I've been waiting for a full update to this proggy for a long time! I hope that the firmware required is no longer hard coded (nevermind if that was fixed a long time ago... it's been a while since I played with it)

@The_It

Sorry I can't help as I don't have one mut if you get it working (I'd try playing with the carrier frequency) you simply must put up a youtube video! Very cool idea :p

Aryn
November 11th, 2008, 08:50
OK, I have tested this program's basic functions for running software...

The homebrew games and applications (at least the ones I tried) seem to run flawlessly so far, and the PSP returns to IRShell on exit. No errors to report there. And I love IRShell's menu, it lists the games in a way that is easy to browse and does not leave you waiting for the icons to load in order to figure out where you are on memory cards that have an extensive list of homebrew games.
However, if I may offer a suggestion, perhaps inserting the code for eloader into IRShell (for the game150 folder) would be a good idea. This will allow 90% of homebrew that requires 1.50 firmware to boot wqithout switching to the 1.50 version of IRShell and all that would have to be edited in eloader is the menu interface. If the code can not just be integrated smoothly then I suppose that this can be done as a plugin instead.

The ISOs, on the other hand, seem to not work in this version of IRShell. They do not seem to show up in the applications menu and when I try browsing for and selecting them with the file browser the UMD I have inserted into the PSP boots up instead. That is not a big deal, since I do not pirate games (the ISOs I tested were for games I purchased) and I save my game backups to a separate memory card anyway, which means I can have a memory card without IRShell for booting ISOs.

Popstation (PS1) games do not seem to start in IRShell, irregardless of which popstation plugin IRShell is set to use. This is a slight disappointment, but I am sure that the devs will sort it out over time.

CONCLUSION: IRShell is a decent program so far, and gets the job done if you are a homebrew enthusiast. However, for anything besides homebrew and booting the UMD you inserted, you may need to exit IRShell and rely on the gool ol' XMB. At any rate I will be using this version of IRShell prolifically since I have a large homebrew collection.

Aryn
November 11th, 2008, 09:14
CORRECTION: ISOs do work! I had to use the file browser and launch IRSHELL\PATCH\5.00\btcnfpatch.prx but aftyer that they booted with no problems. Popstation still seems broken, however.

djbrotherson
November 11th, 2008, 19:03
I cannot get PSX games to work either

CORRECTION

PSX games work from irshell !!!

However, you cannot play music and play a PSX game - it might screw it up or things might freeze or something

discombobulated
November 13th, 2008, 04:15
Awesome news. Now maybe I can control my tv and play my PS2 with the PSP using my wireless controller receiver.