PDA

View Full Version : Wiilinux "miight" Beta

wraggster
November 12th, 2008, 00:07
News via Nintendomax: (http://www.nintendomax.com/index.php?topic_id=8947&format=news)

A new beta version of WiiLinux has just been released.
This version has a graphical interface, supports the wiimote (to replace the mouse) also provides a virtual keyboard (for those without USB keyboard) and some applications.

Installation:
1) Partition your SD card like this: http://www.gc-linux.org
2) Install the "kernel whiite" as stated here: http://www.gc-linux.org
3) Install "miight filesystem" as here: http://www.gc-linux.org but using this filesytem this: http://hbcapps.com/miight-full_beta1.tar.gz.
4) Remove all connections and other USB storage devices, they can be reconnected once the boot made.
5) Start the Wii and select White. Once the GUI requesting your login, expect the automatic (auto). The X shape is good ..
6) Use a USB keyboard and mouse or the Wiimote (press A to synchronize).
7) Do right click (or B for the wiimote) to open the list of applications available.
Select an application and it rolls baby!
9) If you do not have a USB keyboard, run xvkbd from the menu. Beware the virtual keyboard takes half of the screen.

Update:

I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public. In this case, the full version will not be released, and only given to people I trust. I'm sorry it had to come to this, I didn't make it clear enough in the IRC channel that it was supposed to be a private beta. Sorry for any embarassment this may have caused, and I sincerly hope I do not have to cancel this, as I have had fun.
This post has been edited by Muzer: Yesterday, 08:45 PM
by Muzer

grossaffe
November 12th, 2008, 05:48
has anyone ever cashed in the reward for wii linux?

djdynamite123
November 12th, 2008, 09:33
WAS LEAKED!!!!
Muzer will cancel the project if anyone uploads the downloaded files......

There is many things to polish he said.

djdynamite123
November 12th, 2008, 09:35
I'm sorry, but I did not mean for this to be released. Trust me, it will be released soon, but there is still a lot of polish I haven't applied. I don't care who leaked it, I'll just take it off my server since it does not appear to have been uploaded elsewhere. However, if someone else uploads it, consider this project CANCELLED to the public. In this case, the full version will not be released, and only given to people I trust. I'm sorry it had to come to this, I didn't make it clear enough in the IRC channel that it was supposed to be a private beta. Sorry for any embarassment this may have caused, and I sincerly hope I do not have to cancel this, as I have had fun.

Please add this to the first post if you wish, so the chances of me having to cancel are less.

This post has been edited by Muzer: Yesterday, 08:45 PM
by Muzer

djdynamite123
November 12th, 2008, 09:35
EDIT: Posted here on muzers request, strait from the secret dev channel. He has some minor isp-problems, so he couldn't post heree himself.

QUOTE(Muzer @ Nov 12 2008, 12:09 AM)
I know it was naive of me to release it on an IRC channel, but I only asked people in who I thought I could trust to be sensible and realise that since it wasn't on all the major sites, etc, I didn't want it to be released. I did not want it to be private as such, but I did not want it to be public, either. I didn't make it clear, but as I said, I expected people to have more sense. Still, you can and do overestimate some people's intelligence, and I should really have put a message in the topic saying that it was private. Still, as long as no torrents or other uploads appear, no long-term harm has been done.

The reason why I was so angry at it being released has got a really good example here. Since I did not do a real release, sites like that have been guessing the facts, and in this case, getting them horribly wrong. Many people would criticise the way I have put together this distro, and I certainly didn't want to associate myself with the GC Linux Team like that.

Again, no hard feelings to whoever did leak it, I don't care if you want to come forwards or not, but I will respect you no less if you do come forwards.

I hope I have cleared this up, and I hope that no more harm comes of this. It could not have appeared at a worse time, as my internet has been acting really slow, but luckily for me, some people are online on the IRC channel and are posting my message on all other news sites they can find, so hopefully the message will have before long spread enough for the issue to be completely forgotten about.

Another reason why I wanted to finish it, as I explained, is because there isn't enough polish. There is no readme, many elements of the GUI look ugly, and I was hoping of being able to get USB WiFi dongle drivers working (though that has caused some problems), since internal WiFi isn't and won't be supported until bootmii. I wanted to give it a lot more polish than it has at the moment, including proper usage and installation instructions, four separate distros varying in size and purpose, etc etc. So I hope you will all understand my situation and that I will not get any angry flaming, though

I do not blame you if you do feel the need for flames, but bear in mind the number of flames will be inversely proportionate to the amount I feel motivated to do this.

Hope you all understand,
Muzer.

READ ABOVE QUOTE

This post has been edited by azeazezar: Yesterday, 10:10 PM

Muzer
Yesterday, 10:09 PM
Post #22

Group: Newcomers
Member No.: 129,461

Just got the internet working long enough to post another reply (stupid DNS errors), and I would just like to confirm that the quote in the above post is indeed me speaking, and not a forgery or anything.

EDIT: I have found out who has leaked it. It was definitely an accident, as it turned out he actually openly announced in the channel (when nobody was active) that he was going to post it on wiibrew, and was as I expected in the previous post, just lack of intelligence, or maybe just not thinking due to the excitement. I do not disrespect him any more, and providing this project continues, he will still be allowed in the private beta tests if I keep them semi-public like this. I am not going to reveal his name for his embarassment's sake.

This post has been edited by Muzer: Yesterday, 10:13 PM