PDA

View Full Version : DaedalusX64 Beta 1 is now LIVE! - Nintendo 64 Emulator for PSP

Wally
November 12th, 2008, 07:26
G'day Folks.

Its finally out, the beta you have been waiting for.

So whats new you ask?

DaedalusX64 Beta 1 - 08 November 2008 (Change from R14 Beta)
----------------------
[+] TV Out Support (Chilly Willy)
[+] ME Audio Supported (Small speed-up with sound on.) (Chilly Willy)
[+] Increased audio buffers for better sound quality (Kreationz)
[+] Changed logo and graphics to represent new name (graphic by SynGamer)
[!] Fixed screen shots (Chilly Willy)
[!] Fixed an OoT custom clend Mode (Wally)
[!] Fixed Shaking using double display lists (GoldenEye 007, others...) (idea Wally, code Kreationz)
[!] Pause Menu Reset not working properly (Kreationz)
[!] Fixed FPS Display and Framerate limiter (Kreationz)
[!] Optimized code generation for fragments which branch to themselves is now optional
Fixes games that broke from R12-13 (Kreationz)
[^] Improved thread communications in job manager (Hlide)

Download from SourceForge (http://downloads.sourceforge.net/daedalusx64/daedalusx64_beta_1.zip?modtime=1226448897&big_mirror=0)

Credits to:

Enjoy and thank you for supporting our efforts. I'd like to thank those that contributed code this round:
Chilly Willy - PSP Code Master
Kreationz - General Coding and Debugging
Wally - Graphics and more
Hlide - Thread and Dynarec
Howard0su - General Code

Also in misc credits go to:
Moers - Admin
SynGamer - Logo
ShinyDude100 - Ideas and getting the ball rolling

And special Thx to:
Azimer for his audio code
Rice for his video code

and last but certainly not least...

Strmnnrmn whom without this we wouldn't be here.

Have Fun!

Download and Give Feedback & Compatability Reports Via Comments

We have set up a Daedalus X64 Compatability list here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=170795)

CraneX
November 12th, 2008, 08:11
what game's can this one play?

JLF65
November 12th, 2008, 08:15
what game's can this one play?

:rolleyes:

Well, you can try out the games yourself, or wait a week or two for a compatibility list to be made by various folk. :)

Aryn
November 12th, 2008, 08:16
More importantly, which games play at full speed with sound?

At any rate, I am glad to see that people are working on this project again. Perhaps a full speed N64 emulator is more probable than I expected...:)

CraneX
November 12th, 2008, 08:19
Sad:(

urherenow
November 12th, 2008, 08:39
Aryn.. AFAIK NO games play at full speed. I won't say it's impossible but it's highly unlikely that will happen except for a select few games.

stanfy86
November 12th, 2008, 08:44
OMG this is awesome :D i cant believe how much progress has been made in such a relatively short time period, many thanks to the coders, for renewing my belief that N64 emulation will be possible on a PSP

evilgonzo
November 12th, 2008, 09:30
Bomberman 64 :Non Playable, Gets past just intro and thats it.

Conkers Bad Fur Day :Non Playable , Black Screen

Duck Dogers Starring Daffy Duck :Non Playable , Black Screen

Midways Greatest Arcade Games Vol.1 :Non Playable .. Goes through intro and menu and thats it.

Ms.Pacman Maze Madness : Non Playable , Black Screen

Rampage World Tour : Full Speed .. ran from 50 to 75 fps .. No glitches , looked great

Superman : Playable , 7 to 10 fps during gameplay , minor glitches

Turok Dinosaur Hunter : Non Playable , Black Screen

Mario Kart 64 : Playable , 18 to 22 fps during gameplay

Goldeneye 007 : Playable , 2 to 12 fps during gameplay , major glitches

Super Mario 64 : Playable , 24 to 29 fps outside of castle , 15 to 19 fps in 1st world

evilgonzo
November 12th, 2008, 10:29
Namco Museum 64 : Non Playable , Black Screen

Resident Evil 2 : Non Playable , Black Screen

Legend Of Zelda Ocarina Of Time : Playable 12 to 15 fps intro , 7 to 10 fps in village , glitches

Shadowgate 64 : Playable , 8 to 15 fps during gameplay , looked good

Spider- Man : Playable , 20 to 25 fps during gameplay , minor and major glitches

Star Wars Rogue Squadron : Non Playable , Black Screen

Star Wars Shadows Of The Empire : Non Playable , Plays through intro then black screen

Starcraft 64 : Non Playable , Black Screen

Wipeout 64 : Non Playable , Black Screen

Diddy Kong Racing : Non Playable , Plays intro then blue screen

Wally
November 12th, 2008, 10:36
I can't remember Shadowgate working in previous builds :/

P.S Conker does get to a blue screen eventually oh and try Perfect dark for the lulz.

Wally

Darksaviour69
November 12th, 2008, 10:46
please post Compatibility here (http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=2148158088)

JLF65
November 12th, 2008, 10:49
The main purpose of beta 1 was to update the source to modern standards so that development could move forward, take advantage of that update to provide certain features that may not be fully exploited yet (TV out and MediaEngine support being the primary ones), and make some bug fixes.

The next phase will concentrate on graphics and speed. Everything in steps...

titch.ryan
November 12th, 2008, 10:57
well done guys, this release sounds pretty good.

kharaboudjan
November 12th, 2008, 13:17
fantastic!! hopefully there will be much more speed within a year :D

thanx for all your work guys!

NOCHUCK
November 12th, 2008, 14:07
Gonna give it a shot when I get home from work. Thanks coders!

Mr. Shizzy
November 12th, 2008, 14:19
This is fantastic news :D

Thanks guys for all the hard work that went into this :)

noname1
November 12th, 2008, 14:29
Hmm when i see the compatibility lists i think some games run worse than daedalus r13.
Games like shadowgate it ran for me like 45 fps without sound and that was awesome but the emulation is much more worse now if i see the lists but i will try it out and look if you guys are right.

Ok nice the other daedalus gave me a wrong fps this version is much better.
One thing more it would be easyer to also report the sync rate instead of only the framerate.

mike_jmg
November 12th, 2008, 15:16
Thank you guys this looks great

I'll try it later today, Rampage being playable at a good speed sounds really nice

edit: damn, I can't remember where I put my roms

ojdon
November 12th, 2008, 15:40
Is it just me or has speed compatibility gone worse :S I swear Starfox was almost playable last time.

hounddog
November 12th, 2008, 15:44
you guys are the mans, yall did a fantastic job with all the progress yall made so far...i believe you guys will make this full speed one day...but i just hope yall dont quit like some other coders have

Kreationz
November 12th, 2008, 16:42
you guys are the mans, yall did a fantastic job with all the progress yall made so far...i believe you guys will make this full speed one day...but i just hope yall dont quit like some other coders have

Personally I have a lot more I want to accomplish and we already have ideas for speed. Just many are complex and will take time to implement.

DarthPaul
November 12th, 2008, 17:08
Ah, damn... Sorry, Wally.. I was sleeping when you wrote that. lol

Anyway, YES!! Guys, this was fast, really fast. I can see this going really really far. Now we're talking about a team, not a single guy... I love that. Not that I have something against StrmnNrmn... But a team always dominates. :)

SmashinGit
November 12th, 2008, 17:23
This is excellent, please keep up the good work.

mcdougall57
November 12th, 2008, 17:31
Brilliant :)

CaptainMorgan4
November 12th, 2008, 17:38
Kreationz is the site down or is it just from my end?

shorty_carnage
November 12th, 2008, 18:29
looks awsum cheers

wraggster
November 12th, 2008, 18:43
thanks for the news wally and a nice release for the PSP Scene :)

Kreationz
November 12th, 2008, 20:15
Kreationz is the site down or is it just from my end?

Nope, it's down, but I did e-mail Moers already.

Wally
November 12th, 2008, 21:04
Nope, it's down, but I did e-mail Moers already.

Oh dear, looks like moerz has exceeded his bandwidth for the month ^_^

Wally

pkmaximum
November 12th, 2008, 21:16
I'm impressed I do feel the slight speed increase. Great job!!!

cornervizion
November 12th, 2008, 21:39
Superman : Playable , 7 to 10 fps during gameplay , minor glitches

I think that's what they call a "Blessing In Disguise".:D

JLF65
November 12th, 2008, 21:59
Oh dear, looks like moerz has exceeded his bandwidth for the month ^_^

Wally

I noticed first thing when I got up. Where da site be, mon! :D

Gah! I don't know if you got my message there, Kreationz, but I figured out where the slow down when you activate the sound is. So the next release should have the same speed with sound as it does without it.

Zack
November 12th, 2008, 22:01
I noticed first thing when I got up. Where da site be, mon! :D

Gah! I don't know if you got my message there, Kreationz, but I figured out where the slow down when you activate the sound is. So the next release should have the same speed with sound as it does without it.

Nice work JF :D

Glad to see you involved in this project, you certainly know what your doing :)

JLF65
November 12th, 2008, 22:13
Nice work JF :D

Glad to see you involved in this project, you certainly know what your doing :)

There's plenty of good programmers on this project right now. I don't even want to think about some of the stuff Kreationz and Hlide work on, so I'm just sticking to things like TV and ME support. :D

Anywho, beta 2 is supposed to look more into compatibility and speed, so that's what I've been doing here recently - figuring out why the sound isn't free when it's on the ME... it SHOULD be free (or virtually so), but it's not at the moment. But I did find the problem... now I'm working on solving the problem in a way that doesn't hang things.

Illegal Machine
November 12th, 2008, 23:02
First of all, this release is incredible.. Its faster and more playable than any previous version and its filled me with hope in regards to this emulator getting to fullspeed on all games.

But I was wondering... What kind of Roms are the best to use for this to get the best results?

I have .n64, .z64, .v64 extensions on my roms... should they all be the same thing to be optimal?

Some of the Roms have a really nice picture on the selection display.. What extension should it have in order to have the pic display for all of them? or was that something you threw in there?

al in all its an incredible amount of progress you've all made.. Great work and please for the love of Dax Keep it up!

TAzz MAN
November 12th, 2008, 23:06
This is such great news going to use it now.Thanks DaedalusX64 team

TheLostKid
November 13th, 2008, 00:28
What happened to the website?

JLF65
November 13th, 2008, 00:36
First of all, this release is incredible.. Its faster and more playable than any previous version and its filled me with hope in regards to this emulator getting to fullspeed on all games.

But I was wondering... What kind of Roms are the best to use for this to get the best results?

I have .n64, .z64, .v64 extensions on my roms... should they all be the same thing to be optimal?

That was in a thread on the home page (which is down right now). I think the consensus was z64 format. Also, clearly uncompressed will be faster than compressed.

Some of the Roms have a really nice picture on the selection display.. What extension should it have in order to have the pic display for all of them? or was that something you threw in there?

Those are PNGs in the Resources/Preview/ directory. If people wish to add to them, feel free. Maybe a sticky could track all the previews.

al in all its an incredible amount of progress you've all made.. Great work and please for the love of Dax Keep it up!

Already hard at work on the next phase...

Strongbadunit2
November 13th, 2008, 00:38
Im so happy this is out hope these coders all keep up the good work!

JLF65
November 13th, 2008, 00:39
What happened to the website?

Probably completely overwhelmed by vistors, exceeding the quotas the host service enforces. There were almost a hundred people there within minutes of the release going up.

Just my guess since I don't maintain the site, but it seems logical. :)

Wally
November 13th, 2008, 01:08
We should consider hosting it here, it'd make wraggster happy and bring back a whole heap of retro members.

Wally

Buddy4point0
November 13th, 2008, 01:10
Amazing work guys!

Thanks a ton.

On the next version can you add an option to change the background color in the main menu?
I really hate the green, it's unbelievably ugly.

Edit:
Here's some stuff I did for me, but I figured I would post it up here in case anyone else wanted it.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2yvrzbn.png
(Has white stuff in the background that you can't see, look at it on the green)
http://i34.tinypic.com/jkdcg4.png
Preview

http://i35.tinypic.com/5kek3l.png http://i33.tinypic.com/dxeo1z.png http://i36.tinypic.com/2iiv5fo.png
http://i35.tinypic.com/k6kic.png http://i34.tinypic.com/w8u909.png http://i37.tinypic.com/295cp07.png
http://i37.tinypic.com/2ytnrzl.png http://i38.tinypic.com/sfyvdv.png http://i38.tinypic.com/2hhgm6t.png
http://i35.tinypic.com/2pzy44g.png

Compatability (no sound)

Playable:
Mario Kart 64 - playable, 15 fps in back, 20 fps in front
Rampage World tour - playable, great fps 55-85
The Legend of Zelda OOT - playable, glitchy, 15-20 fps inside, 8-11 fps outside
Spiderman - playable, glitchy on scaled screen mode, 12-15 fps
Super Mario 64 - playable, 20-25 fps outside, 15-20 fps castle, 12-15 fps bomb-omb battlefield
Super Smash Bros. - playable, great fps 30-50

Not Playable:
Blast Corps - not playable, freezes during intro
Body Harvest - not playable, black screen
Pokemon Stadium - not playable, black screen
WWF No Mercy - not playable, black menus, can't start game

Bugs:
Quitting during emulation still freezes PSP.

walliester
November 13th, 2008, 03:37
well all i could say is major props to every one that is working really hard for DaedalusX64 and also spending there spare time working on it so again thanks to all you guys,

ps super mario 64 works 15% better than before so keep it up fellas.....

jurkevicz
November 13th, 2008, 03:46
Great job!! This has great potential. Mace the dark ages freezes but it's a great improvement overall.

GibsonSGKing
November 13th, 2008, 05:16
wow, fantastic work. its a very noticable speed difference, amazing work, im psyched that somebody finally picked up this promising project! Great job!

EDIT!!!! SUPER SMASH BROS WORKS!!!!!!!!!! OMFG!!!!!!!! HOLY SHIT! AMAZING!!! I NEVER THOUGHT IT WOULD HAPPEN!!! THANKS! you guys just made my day!!!

midnitdragoon
November 13th, 2008, 05:21
duke nukem 64 also works! and it runs ok with the slight pauses here and there!!! The guns also dont appear but this is a issue that can be easily remedied with time and effort =)

Wally
November 13th, 2008, 06:34
Amazing work guys!

Thanks a ton.

On the next version can you add an option to change the background color in the main menu?
I really hate the green, it's unbelievably ugly.

I agree sorta, but its only until we get a new interface

Edit:
Here's some stuff I did for me, but I figured I would post it up here in case anyone else wanted it.
http://i37.tinypic.com/2yvrzbn.png
(Has white stuff in the background that you can't see, look at it on the green)
http://i34.tinypic.com/jkdcg4.png

NICE! I'll suggest it to Kreationz

Compatability (no sound)

Playable:
Mario Kart 64 - playable, 15 fps in back, 20 fps in front
Rampage World tour - playable, great fps 55-85
The Legend of Zelda OOT - playable, glitchy, 15-20 fps inside, 8-11 fps outside
Spiderman - playable, glitchy on scaled screen mode, 12-15 fps
Super Mario 64 - playable, 20-25 fps outside, 15-20 fps castle, 12-15 fps bomb-omb battlefield
Super Smash Bros. - playable, great fps 30-50

Not Playable:
Blast Corps - not playable, freezes during intro
Body Harvest - not playable, black screen
Pokemon Stadium - not playable, black screen
WWF No Mercy - not playable, black menus, can't start game

Pokemon Stadium should work, your rom must be a bit tipsy. WWF, I am researching.

Wally

jedikevin20
November 13th, 2008, 06:39
This is amazing. smash bros for me is running around 34 fps. drop a little frameskip and without sound its amazing. This is great for the psp community. Keep up the good work. Yall should def setup a paypal donation on the website once its back up. Def want to give yall 1 dollar to keep up the good work.

goldeneyegod
November 13th, 2008, 06:46
This great really impressed with the results after waiting so long for someone to update this emulator just to see Goldeneye start up with sound was amazing! Need to test a few other games but from what I'v seen so far its very good and has put a huge smile on my face :).
Just need conker and perfect dark working and I'll be even happier lol.
Good job to everyone involved!
Carn't wait for the next release!!!

CaptainMorgan4
November 13th, 2008, 06:55
Let me make it rain....
http://i38.tinypic.com/ac3m2v.jpg

That's a 24 image package, enjoy, I just wish I had 3.0.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22085&d=1196203101

Dembonz
November 13th, 2008, 07:35
It's really great having an ambitious team of people work on this project. The PSP emulation scene needed this shot in the arm. These forums and this scene have been too quiet.

Anyways, thanks very much guys for your hard work. It's refreshing to have this. Keep up the great work.

No_one_in_particular
November 13th, 2008, 07:57
We should consider hosting it here, it'd make wraggster happy and bring back a whole heap of retro members.

Wally
I agree. It'd be better, I think.

Have a section like ZX-81 solely for Daedalusx64.

That way we can still access it every time a new build goes online! :p

Kreationz
November 13th, 2008, 08:47
@Everyone
LOL, the host has moved it to a lower load server and will be back up in ~12 more hours or so I'm told. Too many people trying to access it at once and Bam server crash.

@JLF65
I have less than 10 posts on DCEMU so I can't respond to your PM yet, but I found a few other things out playing with the ME code that your change cause me and hlide to notice.

I know of a few more places already where speed can be help. There is a function that's in the normal SC right now that is ripe for the VFPU.

Also do you think we should drop the W32 support in the code for faster compilation and to clean it up and get rid of errors and the XBOX support?

Sterist
November 13th, 2008, 08:58
--rough 5% improvement with the sync while sound is on, and i can confirm 5% to be accurate to the +/- 0.5%

--sound sometimes stops working in super smash bros

--the key-input thread priority has dropped quite a bit.

--lamborg automo shaking problem resolved. 200mph with the frameskip on 0 looks like a sunday cruise down your local street

--diddy kong racing now (barely) displays the title screen, and you can get as far as half of the background of the player selection screen

------------------------------------------------

edit: is there seriously remnant code in this port from the xbox version? lol

Kreationz
November 13th, 2008, 09:59
--rough 5% improvement with the sync while sound is on, and i can confirm 5% to be accurate to the +/- 0.5%

--sound sometimes stops working in super smash bros

--the key-input thread priority has dropped quite a bit.

--lamborg automo shaking problem resolved. 200mph with the frameskip on 0 looks like a sunday cruise down your local street

--diddy kong racing now (barely) displays the title screen, and you can get as far as half of the background of the player selection screen

------------------------------------------------

edit: is there seriously remnant code in this port from the xbox version? lol

Yes, and audio sync will be much better next release. (Read more like 1% or less drop which also further improves quality, expect playable Mario 64 with sound). JLF65 has already made changes there.

Yes, there is remnant code from when Strmnnrmn thought about porting it, but we have no such plans and plan to concentrate on the PSP. (You can DL the code and see for yourself.)

Sound for SSB I believe has been fixed, but more testing needed. It doesn't drop for me.

Sterist
November 13th, 2008, 11:44
it happened to me a few times directly after a loadstate.

Zack
November 13th, 2008, 13:46
Let me make it rain....
http://i38.tinypic.com/ac3m2v.jpg

That's a 24 image package, enjoy, I just wish I had 3.0.

http://www.dcemu.co.uk/vbulletin/attachment.php?attachmentid=22085&d=1196203101

I have all the preview images for every n64 game (bar jap) if people want them.

They are all resized and named accordingly for use with Daedalus PSP.

I can upload...

Edit : I have uploaded them. You can download the full icon/boxart pack for Daedalus from the link below.

(Doesn't require registration, although saying thanks for the bandwith would be nice :))

RetroEmu.com - Daedalus N64 Boxart/Icons : Full Pack Download (http://retroemu.com/showthread.php?p=1152#post1152)

^ Download Above ^

Mr. Shizzy
November 13th, 2008, 14:50
I have all the preview images for every n64 game (bar jap) if people want them.

Awesome !! :thumbup:

thanks Zach :)

No_one_in_particular
November 13th, 2008, 15:50
Thanks Zack. :D

djbrotherson
November 13th, 2008, 17:38
Why does Star Fox run slower than the previous release??

stanfy86
November 13th, 2008, 20:27
@ djbrotherson this release was primarily to update the emulator to make use of new software capabilities, and to combine it with other coder's creations (TV-out support) it is a little strange that star fox runs slower, but as the dev's have said, all following releases will focus on compatibility and performance.