PDA

View Full Version : ATI Reiterates Revolutions Focus on Ingenuity Instead of Graphics

wraggster
January 14th, 2006, 12:49
Everyone is aware that the Revolution is not the market to compete with the sheer graphical prowess of the Xbox 360 and PS3, relying, in stead, on creativity and ingenuity. In fact, it would seem, even ATI is adamant about giving no comparison of the Revolutions graphical scale when compared to the competing next-gen consoles.StartFragment "What I can say is that ATI is focused, as is Nintendo, in making [Revolution] a great, gaming entertainment platform. I know that a lot of journalists are very focused on specs. It's the big thing; as a geek, I look for that too," says ATI PR manager for consumer products John Swinimer. "The key thing to keep in mind is that Nintendo, with ATI's help, is trying to create a game console where you don't have to look at [specs].

ATI wouldn't specifically state if Hollywood, the codename given to the Revolution GPU, is based off GameCube's Flipper GPU, instead saying it wasn't based off any PC architecture.

"Hollywood is a specific design and is in no way reflective of PC technology," says Swinimer. "It is designed the same as the Flipper was -- from the ground up for a specific console. Totally different sort of architecture from what you might find on the PC." Swinimer's comments aren't explicit, but seem to imply Hollywood is a completely unique design from ATI. With everyone, including ATI, dancing around the question, it would appear that we will just have to wait and see for ourselves. Will the Revolutions overall graphical performance be competitive with next-gen consoles? Will they be comparable to current gen? Or, could we see the release of a console that splits the difference? Lets hear your opinions in the comments below.

scrabbus
January 22nd, 2006, 15:55
I do personally believe that (after doing some very intensive research!!) there will not be an overall 'best' machine in the next gen. I mean come on people remember all the bullshit from Sony about the PS2, and I know i wasnt the only person dissapointed by it when it was out of the box. Lets just all wait and see, we might be pleasantly surprised, the controller is only one feature, there might be more, but how long before Sony 'ADAPTS' (ahem) the rev controller??? it has plagerised all of nintendos previous efforts right up until the cubes pad. but hey I'm rambling worse than an anorak up a mountain.