PDA

View Full Version : you can bash a product, but it's not fair to bash an entire company.

shadowprophet
November 14th, 2008, 10:23
Now, a topic like this, is a lit fuse just waiting to run out before the explosion.

I've been spending a lot of time thinking about getting another 360., The problem is, even though most 360 fans will claim that the red ring issue is fixed, most serious gamers that play for long amounts of time "that i know of" have their 360 burn out in about a years time.

We could debate the facts and figures, but we all know lots of people that own 360s., as do I, and Ive noticed it to be about the average life span of a single 360 console.

yes, some of you are thinking, well that's simple, don't play it for hours at a time...

The problem with that is, we all buy consoles, to play them, not to "not" play them.

However, as far as the 360's games go, they have quite a number of great games, and I don't think anyone can deny that.

perhaps I've written off microsoft for this generation, but does that mean I've written off microsoft as a contender?

Absolutely not. since the original x-box,. Microsoft has came a long long way, they have created several innovations that impacted not just it's own users, but every video gamer, They pioneered the online experience for consoles,

I'n many ways Microsoft can be credited for the creation of PSN,

After all, it basicly is a carbon copy of x-box live at it's core.

and trophies?

Well we all know those are just achievements with a different name and theme,

so yeah, I'm not really a 360 fan, but it's just the console and it's problems that I'm not fond of,

In many ways. Microsoft has came into the console scene and set it on fire with innovation after innovation,

Their experience shows, and I will never write Microsoft off as a developer.

if their next gen console, is a quality product, then I'm already sold.

As a ps3 owner, it's all too easy to bash the 360 and Microsoft,

But the reality is, only a moron would be so blinded by fanboyisim, that they couldn't see the real innovations Microsoft has brought to the table,

so sayeth the Sp. now be off with you....

acn010
November 14th, 2008, 10:47
to be honest... microsoft cant create hardware... just software... sony knows about hardware.. thats why ps3 doesnt fail (my ps3 is running ulttra fine, no issues since the ps3 came out) so ya...
companies has there strongholds on something

shadowprophet
November 14th, 2008, 10:58
to be honest... microsoft cant create hardware... just software... sony knows about hardware.. thats why ps3 doesnt fail (my ps3 is running ulttra fine, no issues since the ps3 came out) so ya...
companies has there strongholds on something

That is a very good point, both microsoft and sony have opposite origins. microsoft began as a software developer, while sony began as an electronics developer.

yes, very very valid point there brother Acn.

WhizzBang
November 14th, 2008, 17:20
As you say, it does have some great games and that should be all that matters but the hardware does get in the way for me.

I will buy another 360 if they release a new slimline version (as Sony did with PS1) that is:

Much quieter
Reliable
Smaller
Cooler (temperature wise)

in that order of priority. Just 1 and 2 would tempt me.

NoQuarter
November 14th, 2008, 18:40
IMHO, microsoft does not make quality products as a whole.For example:

WindowsXP
Windows Vista

What microsoft does is attempt to take other peoples innovations, hype and polish them, then sell to the masses.

Name something made by microsoft that actually continues to work as it should.

I'm not necessarily a fanboy of anybody, just a microsoft hater.
If they made quality stuff I'd support them.

Don't get me started on apple,quite pissed at them too...

Darksaviour69
November 14th, 2008, 19:45
Lol for me its the other way round, I don't like microsoft but I like Xbox, go figure.

(btw vista sucks so much ass it hurts)

NoQuarter
November 14th, 2008, 21:01
agreed that vista is pure garbage...
It's like a view of the dump, they totally got the permissions thing wrong.
Everybody should just give in and go open source(the companies that is), it'd be in their best interest.
Especially with the recent rulings in the US.

Eviltaco64
November 14th, 2008, 21:18
I liked Microsoft's products a few years ago. I liked Windows up to Windows XP myself. Vista is shit, and I hope they make Windows 7 a more serious operating system.

The original Xbox was very solid and reliable. Though it may have been pretty bulky, it worked, and it had a clear advantage over the PS2.

After it's death, the homebrew scene made it a console worth picking up.

I dislike Xbox 360. It has some good games, I'll give it that. But the hardware issues have made me dislike the console. I'd rather stick to Sony and Nintendo. Now, I'm sure Microsoft has learned from their mistake and won't have to rush the successor to the X360 out the door. If they make a console that can last more than a year, then I will probably buy it.

Oh, and lastly, in respone to Shades' comment that said the Xbox was the pioneer in online play...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQj4wjspQZE :p

And before the Dreamcast, the Saturn actually had a few games that had an online mode like Saturn Bomberman and even had an official web browser, which Microsoft STILL doesnt include with their systems 10 years after this.

Wally
November 15th, 2008, 00:55
The Xbox is a great piece of hardware, just Steve Ballmer (THE DEVIL) runs the bloody company and doesn't even let his employees use iPods..

Microsoft should just sign defeat and stop selling Windows and concentrate on the Consoles.. It seems that's all they are good at. Amit the heat issues. (Why pay for a new 360 every two years, bleh)

Wally

ninja9393
November 15th, 2008, 01:07
I like all three consoles equally for different reasons, each one has its downfall and the 360's is reliability

I now own all 3 so its cool

mike_jmg
November 15th, 2008, 05:56
There are some serious design issues on the 360 probably because of their rush to be the first next gen console.

- The first time I turned it on, I thought the washing machine was on, but it was the 360's fan :S

- Overheat can kill it pretty easily, I don't play that much in one session, so I think I'll be safe from that.

On the other hand, I think there aren't many exclusives for either console. The real question should be if you really want to play the few exclusive games for the 360

I'm still struggling on what to do with mine, don't really want to sell it though

On response to your topic, most of the times you can't bash an entire company over a single product they make but microsoft is a complete diferent thing, Vista sucks ass and so does the Xbox 360 hardware

Accordion
November 15th, 2008, 15:02
I think you can

http://frankmedia.com.au/blog/wp-content/uploads/2008/07/ballmer.jpg

Triv1um
November 15th, 2008, 16:09
I hate Sony, I hate Microsoft and I hate Nintendo

I hate the Wii, I like the 360 and I love the PS3.

The Wii is just a gimmic to me. The 360 is a solid console with great games, but I hate fearing everytime I turned mine on because of the RRoD. Yet, the PS3 just seems to hit all of my buttons, its reliable but yes, while it doesn't do what the 360 can do well, at the moment. It will. Plus, the PS3 does things the 360 can't.

I disagree, when you bash a product you do bash the company.

In my case -
Nintendo - I have hated every console they have made.

Microsoft - I disliked the XBOX but I like the 360.

Sony - 3 solid consoles.

See the pattern?

acn010
November 15th, 2008, 16:30
the system frosm those companies has their own abilities and targets different types of people....
wii: kids & family
xbox 360: reg gamers ad hardcore gamers
ps3: family(not only on games), hardcore gamers, anyone (multimedia system remember... blueray movies, super audio cd's, internet, etc.......

Rocksil
November 15th, 2008, 16:39
As you say, it does have some great games and that should be all that matters but the hardware does get in the way for me.

I will buy another 360 if they release a new slimline version (as Sony did with PS1) that is:

Much quieter
Reliable
Smaller
Cooler (temperature wise)

in that order of priority. Just 1 and 2 would tempt me.

I relally dobut we will ever get a slimm 360. The first xbox didnt dont see them making one for this one.

WhizzBang
November 15th, 2008, 19:46
I relally dobut we will ever get a slimm 360. The first xbox didnt dont see them making one for this one.

No, I doubt it too, but the XBox 360 has been much more successful than the original Xbox and so may have a longer retail life. If that is the case it is possible that MS may decide a redesign is required to cut production costs and improve on its flaws.