PDA

View Full Version : Meshloader (Beta) (PSP Lua Application)

wraggster
January 15th, 2006, 02:18
Source - PDRoms (http://www.pdroms.de/index.php)

Lumos latest project is a Mesh/3D model loader coded in Lua. It is in beta stage.

<blockquote>I am modellin' 3D stuff for some time by now, and I always tried to get my stuff into games/mods or something like that. That's why I got the idea about loading a mesh file to the PSP.

Whats the aim of my work?
The main target is to get some 3D Models from Maya (or whatever.) to PSP.

How do I model in 3D?
This depends on what you like. If you prefer 3D Studio Max, you can model there, or use Maya, as I do.

How do I load 3D Meshes to my PSP?
Thats quite simple! If you have your model in Maya, the only thing you have to do is:
# Triangulate the model
# Combine the model
# Export the model by using my Tools

PSP reads those Ascii-file?
Actually no, but it would be possible to implement it. I decided to use this format as a good structured base. If you got this far, you are in front of your target! You can now convert your mesh to a 3DB file (3D-Binary) which can be loaded with my code|application.

Why use 3db and not ascii mesh?
cause: 3db loads faster and uses far less memory than ascii meshes!</blockquote>

More info --> http://lumo2000.lu.funpic.de/?action=bomberman

jman420
January 15th, 2006, 06:18
That sounds like a great idea, only 1 question, is there a way to impliment that to the Free version of 3d studion max, GMax? that would halp to make a lot of progress in the 3d form of things, just because not all of us have thousands of dollars to get 3d studio, and me personaly, i dont like mac so i wouldnt use the free maya. . .

sgamemu22
January 15th, 2006, 07:53
Thats cool. Ive been waiting for something like this for a while. I would be helpful to implement a way to view general formats like .obj, because its a popular format among many 3D applications.

bugo
January 16th, 2006, 01:44
perfect!!!!!!!
I was waiting for someone to do this, and YES! with Maya aswell, you thought like me, we are artists and always need to show our models the easiest way and the PSP will make it very easy, thankyou!

Yashamaru
January 16th, 2006, 17:09
Just alittle more info about the very cool model viewer by [Lumo] its NOT made in Lua its made in C/C++. after I seen this post I asked him, he pointed me to his site where it says

"My current Programming in C for PSP:"

Question - Is it C or C++

"actually its c with some lines cpp, but I am going to use cpp now"

anyways just wanted to let people know. I too cant wait to see where this project will go. Thx Lumo keep up the great work.