PDA

View Full Version : It's a Bird!, It's a Plane!

DCDayDreamer
January 15th, 2006, 02:48
No!, it's Superman at DC Evolution!

To start off the 2006 releases, we're releasing a media image, this is a straight forward 'boot up and watch the classics' CD for your Dreamcast, the CD image uses DCDivX by Mark Dukette with the complete set of the very first Superman cartoons ever created. The animations can also be played on your PC - just burn the image and pop your CDR into your CD/DVD ROM drive and use Windows Media Player (or your favourite media player) to view the cartoons (you may need the DivX codec for your PC).

Superman (the character) was only 4 years old when the first of these animations appeared at movie theatres, the cartoons (produced as short films) were also the first cinematic incarnations of the man of steel, they are a must see for any animation or Superman fan.
The cartoons now reside in the Public Domain, we've gathered them all together, and to the best of our knowledge, this is the first time that all 17 cartoons have been made available in any format as a 'one file' download from any site.

For the site page, info, CD covers, and CD image download - go here: http://www.dcevolution.net/goto.php?id=69

http://www.dcevolution.net/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10004/Superman1.jpg

http://www.dcevolution.net/nfpicturepro/albums/userpics/10004/Superman2.jpg

Eric
January 15th, 2006, 03:11
To bad i cant grab the images off the site i keep getting disconnected. There is lots of interesting things on that site and i would love review this cause to me this really a family bunch of images to enjoy for a couple of hours.

Eric :( thats right im sad

DCDayDreamer
January 15th, 2006, 03:28
To bad i cant grab the images off the site i keep getting disconnected. There is lots of interesting things on that site and i would love review this cause to me this really a family bunch of images to enjoy for a couple of hours.

Eric :( thats right im sad

We used to have a download script in place at DC Evolution, Skyhawk has stopped the script because people were having problems, plus we've had a major update to the site. Try and download again (maybe one of the smaller images to begin with) to see if you can get the whole file without being disconnected.

If you're still having problems PM me and I'll give you a direct link to whatever file you want.

wraggster
January 15th, 2006, 03:34
bloody hell, what a bolt out of the blue, ive sent the news off to slashdot etc, lets hope you get just deserts for another great release:)

Eric
January 15th, 2006, 04:14
yeah it happened again bro i'm on dial up thats why i am having more trouble with it

DCDayDreamer
January 15th, 2006, 04:36
yeah it happened again bro i'm on dial up thats why i am having more trouble with it

I used dialup for years before broadband hit my area, I also used this to good effect:

http://www.getright.com/

You'll need the direct url to the file though so PM me if you find the software any good.

wraggster
January 15th, 2006, 13:14
that or flashget

Green Arrow
January 15th, 2006, 17:03
Great stuff. Just burned it to CD, ain't tried it on my DC yet cos my friend's busy using the big TV with my PS2, but I just loaded up some of the videos while the disc was still in the CD writer. Am curious though. Says here "please note that your movies will need to be encoded to suit DCDivX's limitations". What are the limitations? I want to put my Justice League and Gargoyles episodes (and pretty much any video file that's on my PC to be honest, would clear me about 60% of my drive and I could finally defrag the thing) onto CD and be able to run them from PC or DC like this Superman one.

Eric
January 16th, 2006, 13:25
Thanks Wrag and Darksaviour for the info i did end up getting Get Right and i sent the PM to you Darksaviour. I used to use Get Right and Flashget so i know what this thing is about its actually a great program.

Thanks Again

Eric

Jdemon
January 17th, 2006, 03:27
Thanks for posting DCDayDreamer!

The old DC has been in storage for a little while now, this is as good an excuse as any to pull it out and dust it off. :D

@Green Arrow what's stopping you from backing them up to CD :confused:
And you can always defrag your HDD assuming your not at 100% capacity.

Darksaviour69
January 17th, 2006, 12:33
eric i think your are getting me and DCDayDreamer, mixed up! ;)

btw nice release

Green Arrow
January 17th, 2006, 14:53
@Green Arrow what's stopping you from backing them up to CD :confused:
And you can always defrag your HDD assuming your not at 100% capacity.

File sizes have been a tad awkward (can fit maybe 3 episodes of a certain series onto 1 CD but if I could trim off about 10 MB I can fit 4 and save some discs), and I'd like to know how to able to reduce the filesize of some videos without losing too much quality. The other thing that stopped me was I'd need a lot of CD's. I know blank CD's are cheap and all that but I'm unemployed currently and have a lot of bills to pay so it's difficult to spare cash for even some blank CD's currently. I want to learn more about AVI video filesize and quality before trying to convert and burn them all.

Also my PC keeps saying I can't defrag unless I have about 15% ( I think ) free space on the drive. I currently only have 2%

Eric
January 17th, 2006, 15:19
LOL Sorry yeah i keep gettin messed up between the 2 names that begin with D and i also just finish the nightshift before i come on here so i'm pretty tired. I am also currently downloading the file it will take awhile along with the rest aswell. Thanks DCDayDreamer lol. I appoligize for getting mixed up.

Eric

Jdemon
January 17th, 2006, 19:23
I want to learn more about AVI video filesize and quality before trying to convert and burn them all.

Also my PC keeps saying I can't defrag unless I have about 15% ( I think ) free space on the drive. I currently only have 2%

You might want to check out http://www.videohelp.com/ they also have links or downloads to all the free software tools you will need. I'm guessing VirtualDub will be quite good for your purposes.

You also might want to consider an additional hard drive as a better alternative to burning all thoes CD's. I know there is cost involved, but you'd be suprised at the valuable PC components you can salvage from your local dump/transfer station/tip.

Anyway...back to the topic...

The Superman AVI's look great on my PC and on the Dreamcast, but I think I like watching them best on my PSP :D Thanks again!

curt_grymala
January 18th, 2006, 01:51
@Green Arrow - This tutorial (http://www.dchomebrew.org/dcdivxdummies.shtml) should help you out.

Green Arrow
January 18th, 2006, 16:21
@Green Arrow - This tutorial (http://www.dchomebrew.org/dcdivxdummies.shtml) should help you out.

Yeah I just tried that with episodes of garth merenghi's darkplace that I have and for some reason while the converted video works fine on PC, when I run it on the Dreamcast the screen goes mostly plain green and sort of corrupted and the first sound repeats over and over. Does it matter that my version of the DivX codec is 5.2.1 as opposed to 5.0 in the tutorial? I matched up all the options mentioned in it.

Christuserloeser
January 18th, 2006, 16:55
You need v5.0.0 !

I think DCDayDreamer is using 5.1.0 or sth but I never had luck with that version so I'm using v5.0.0.

Green Arrow
January 18th, 2006, 18:11
Darn, I hate messing with these Divx codecs. Last time I did it caused odd graphic problems on some videos and caused others to have serious synchronization problems. Ok.. I'll try to find 5.0.0

curt_grymala
January 18th, 2006, 18:27
Actually, anything up to 5.0.2 will work just fine. Anything after 5.0.2 will not work.

I know it's a pain in the butt, but it's worth it. :)

BTW - You can download older versions of DivX here (http://oldversion.com/program.php?n=divx).

Green Arrow
January 18th, 2006, 19:13
Darn, I hate messing with these Divx codecs. Last time I did it caused odd graphic problems on some videos and caused others to have serious synchronization problems. Ok.. I'll try to find 5.0.0

Just installed 5.0 and now all my newest videos have the same problems again I mentioned in the quoted part there. :(
Am I gonna have keep reinstalling DivX versions again and again if I wanna make DC versions and still run recently downloaded videos?

DCDayDreamer
January 18th, 2006, 19:16

I used version 5.0.2 for the Superman cartoons, it's a stable version but as Curt already said don't use any newer versions if you're encoding for the Dreamcast. In fact, the settings I used are like the ones in the tutorial linked to above (at 500kbs), there's better quality to be had by experimenting but for starters stick with the tutorial and you shouldn't get frustrated.

Eric
February 9th, 2006, 14:00
Its a bird its a plane holy crap its Superman and that means i finally got this thing and burned. I thought it was amazing i didnt know how good the Dreamcast was with video cause not just Green Arrow but i was having problems encoding aswell. The main menu looks awesome as well as the loading screen. The quality of the video is exellent and sound isnt 100% but it gave what it could give to make it sync.

Exellent Work

Eric