PDA

View Full Version : NES emulator w/increased mapper support?

StryfeDc
November 16th, 2008, 16:01
I know that the NesterDC versions 6 through the S.E. are pretty good.

But, is it possible that one with increased mapper support could be ported?

Something like Nestopia would be great, and if I had any assembly skills, I wouldn't be asking I guess.

I've started reading up on the different ASM's, but that is a long way from be able to rewrite the 6502 into SH4, let alone add extra mappers...

And finally, could the mappers be added to a version of NesterDC itself?

Guaripolo
November 19th, 2008, 02:12
wasn't nesterdc se good enough????

i think that runs all games that i've tried...

quzar
November 19th, 2008, 02:33
At the time it came out, NesterDC SE had the best compatability of any NES emulator in existence. Scherzo went through pieces of multiple emulators to fix compatability with specific games.

The only things I've ever heard not to work are crazy hacks.

StryfeDc
November 19th, 2008, 04:32
I personally use the 6.0 NesterDC for it's higher compatibility on hacks and homebrew NES games.

Every now and then there are occasional hacks, or homebrew NES games I'd like to be able to play on the DC.

If there's no interest in extra mapper support, I would guess that pallete support would be even less likely?...

Well, thanks for the help, and the info. :)

quzar
November 19th, 2008, 06:02
It's not compatability, you just have to not use the database if you want to use hacks.

Starscream
November 19th, 2008, 08:54
SE had issues with some Koei games if I remember right. It starts them, but there are (input I think) bugs.
For some reason, Wizardry didn't work for me either, and that works on Nester DC 6.0.

StryfeDc
November 22nd, 2008, 05:07
It's not compatibility, you just have to not use the database if you want to use hacks.

Right, forgot about that... I haven't been here as long as some people.

Edit the main2.js setting:

g_settings.romBrowseMode = 'SE';
to
g_settings.romBrowseMode = '';

Add roms to a created folder in Myroms directory, use the builder (you don't need any art...), and select an empty folder.

Thanks again. :)

Christuserloeser
November 26th, 2008, 18:09
Guys, if you post here: http://dcemulation.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?f=34&t=97683 then Scherzo could consider your feedback for a future release. He has stated several times that he would work on SE if he felt that there was demand.