PDA

View Full Version : Second Life affair grounds for real-life divorce

wraggster
November 17th, 2008, 00:44
Amy Taylor and David Pollard, a British couple who, until recently, had spent three years together in marital bliss, are both avid Second Life players. So avid, in fact, that their nuptials were delivered in the game's virtual world in addition to, you know, the real one. Unfortunately, digi-Amy caught digi-David in a compromising position with a digi-prostitute shortly after the wedding, leading these two fully grown adults to file for an untimely digi-divorce. However, they remained married in real life, which likely led to a few awkward conversations over brunch.

Digi-David seemed to prove his fidelity by passing a "honeytrap" test later ordered by digi-Amy, in which a buxom digi-Private Eye attempted, and ultimately failed, to seduce his avatar. Unfortunately, digi-Amy recently walked in on digi-David and another avatar, who were conversing with "genuine affection". In response, real-life-Amy filed for real-life-divorce from real-life-David.

This report has been fairly sensationalied by the mainstream media over the past few days -- some outlets state that Taylor's divorce lawyer had already seen a Second Life-related seperation earlier that week, while some mention that Taylor has found love once again, this time in World of Warcraft. Regardless of the veracity of these questionable accounts, the news of couple's split due to online infidelity seems to be as true as it is infinitely depressing.

http://www.joystiq.com/2008/11/16/second-life-affair-grounds-for-real-life-divorce/

shadowprophet
November 17th, 2008, 01:23
I don't want to offend a lot of people by saying this. But over the past year or so, I've noticed that a lot of people take online activities to seriously.

I have several friends that have had arguments that started on myspace and spilled out into real life.In my opinion, That's just frightening.
There used to be a line between reality and the Internet. but every day that line grows thinner and thinner., Ive actually known people in real life that have met people online and left their families for some virtual stranger.

The point that I'm getting to isn't that I think the Internet is the "problem"Rather, that I think, The Internet is the "excuse" some people use, it's easier just to leave someone, then to be honest and tell them the spark is gone, and it's time to move on.

The truth is, since the beginning of the human race, people have fell out of love and left their significant others in the dust.

The truth is, it's easier for people to blame second life,myspace, and longdong32 for breaking up families then it is for them to realize the problem may be closer to home then they are willing to admit.

mcdougall57
November 18th, 2008, 01:09
Saw this article in the sun. Its pathetic, a pasty white fat b*****d getting his kicks from a virtual character on the internet.

Philip Penny
January 16th, 2009, 12:02
Hi,

I am currently completing a survey investigating Online Infidelity.

If you have 15-20 minutes to spare, perhaps you could fill it in for me?

If you click on the link below it will take you directly to the online questionnaire.

http://www.surveymonkey.com/s.aspx?s...n_2bSDiA_3d_3d

Your participation is really appreciated as I am acutely aware
of the sensitivity of the topic under investigation.

You can let me know what you think via this forum.

Confidentiality is assured.

Kind Regards

Philip Penny
Dublin, Republic of Ireland.