PDA

View Full Version : Quick ps2 help,

shadowprophet
November 17th, 2008, 02:18
I have one of those old fat ps2's it's in nearly brand new condition. the problem with it is, I've always wanted one of those little ps2's a friend of mine has one of those slim ps2's in great condition he wants to trade me to it.

I really want it., because I just like the way they look,

What do you guys think ? should I ?

Malksta
November 17th, 2008, 13:47
they're pretty much the same thing AFAIK so accept the trade

mike_jmg
November 17th, 2008, 16:26
ok, I have quite experience with this issue, so here is the thing

Check the product ID code on your fat PS2
If it is 30000...whatever, change it
If it is 50000... whatever, or higher keep it

the 50000... whatever series was the latest version (don't really know if there was any higher) of the fat ps2, and because of this, it loads faster and it's more reliable than the 30000 version (mine is a 30001, I hate it but works)

What you must be aware with the slim PS2 is that it has really bad issues with the PS1 memory cards, most likely you wont be able to access your gamesaves. Also it cannot hold an HDD. The good part is that I think it already comes with the modem for online play and it is certainly really small compared to the bulky fat PS2.

So knowing all this, is up to you (a friend of mine kept his 50001 version instead of a slim, because of the HDD and the issues with the PS1 memory cards on the slim) (He plays FFXI online)

cheers

Eviltaco64
November 17th, 2008, 23:16
PS2 Original:

Advantages:
-- HDD Support.
-- Preferred console for hardmodding (especially if playing content off a hard drive).
-- Better support for PS1 memory card's (as pointed out by mike_jmg).

Disadvantages:
-- Bulky when compared to the Slim.
-- Disc read errors plagued earlier (and apparently later) models.

PS2 Slim:

Advantages:

-- It's small, and therefore lighter and, of course, can fit in more places.
-- From experience, I can say that the DVD drive in my 2004 Slim is superior to my SCPH-30001 2002/2003-ish Original PS2.
-- Built in modem and ethernet ports. No network adapter needed.

Disadvantages:
-- While, in my opinion, the DVD drives are superior to the Original PS2s, they can be loud (it reminds me of PS1).
-- The slim design came at the cost of requiring a bulky AC Adapter.
-- Bad PS1 memory card support.

Also know that there is HDD support for the Slim PS2 by buying a 3rd party adaptor.