PDA

View Full Version : PLynx V0.3b

PLynx
January 15th, 2006, 09:59
Hello !

Thank you to Wraggster for hosting the Plynx website on DCEmu.

New PLynx release for PSP 1.0, 1.5.

In this v0.3b release :
- Speed improvement, now, most of the games run at normal speed, without "overclocking" the PSP.
- Support zip compression format for cartbridge images.
- Option to change the control keys.
- Some add to to GUI.

See attached files.

Thank you to Filipouly for the PLynx background image.

wraggster
January 15th, 2006, 12:07
Awesome news :)

Auri
January 15th, 2006, 13:57
Congrats!

I just posted a mirror on my site, and made a blog entry, too!

Best,

Auri Rahimzadeh
Author, Hacking the PSP
www.hackingpsp.com

Voltron
January 15th, 2006, 14:09
Has anyone tested this on the 2.0 Eboot Loader? I am really interested. This is great news. Good work.

wazzal7
January 15th, 2006, 18:29
thank you PLynx. i love the old atari lynx. it was what made me fall in love with handheld gaming. you have made my dream come true, by being able to play the lynx on my psp, at a reasonable speed. please keep making improvements to this wonderful emulator until it is perfect. :)

ArugulaZ
January 17th, 2006, 06:45
It's getting pretty close to perfect as it is! All I could ask for is improved sound (not that the sound on the original Lynx was fantastic in the first place...).

JR

PLynx
January 17th, 2006, 07:13
I love the old atari lynx. it was what made me fall in love with handheld gaming
I know your feeling :)

Raiser
January 18th, 2006, 17:45
Great work! I've been waiting for ages to be able to play Chip's Challenge on the go, seeing as how I never owned a real Atari Lynx.

There are, however, a few suggestions that I would like you to consider for the next release:

1. When saving save states (context), it always creates a new file rather than overwriting the old one. While I have found that it is extremely useful if you accidently save when you don't intend to, it does clutter the load context menu. Perhaps an option to overwrite the older file or save a new one would be handy.

2. I've noticed that if I boot the emulator but wait too long to select a rom, the emulator will freeze and not respond to any buttons, resulting in me having to power down my PSP.

3. The emulator will not work with the home button. If you try to use the home button to return to the PSP's main menu, the PSP will freeze on the "please wait" screen. This isn't a huge problem, however, as the emulator itself has an exit option that works properly.

4. Auto framerate adjustment. I've noticed that in Chip's Challenge (and other games, I'd assume) some graphically intense areas such as the title screen will run too slowly at 265 MHZ (I think that's the medium setting), but will run fine at 333 MHZ. Then when you start the actual game, it will run much too fast at 333 MHZ, but just fine at 265. Perhaps an option to keep the speed at a constant rate could be implemented.

Those are just very minor bugs, however, the emulator is actually nearing perfection. Keep up the good work.

ultros
January 18th, 2006, 19:22
just tried it and it's a really great emu at this stage :)
i love the lynx so much and i think, it's a way too much underrated system. it had so many arcade conversions that are even better than the original arcade versions.

but i also noticed a few speed problems, as already mentioned here before. and i would also like the slots-system for savestates very much, as i sometimes tend to save very often ;)

thank you very much =)

btw. did you think of other screen modes? i was surprised how good and smooth the snes9xTYL emu looks on stretched screen (it has also a odd aspect ratio). i guess this is done by hardware in the GPU, so it probably won't slow down the speed...

PLynx
January 18th, 2006, 20:10
Thank you for your suggestions, all the suggestions are interesting.
I'll try to implement them in the next release :)

PLynx
January 20th, 2006, 10:53
2. I've noticed that if I boot the emulator but wait too long to select a rom, the emulator will freeze and not respond to any buttons, resulting in me having to power down my PSP.

It's a strange bug. I didn't succeed to do it.
Could you try with the last plynx version ?
Thanks in advance.

parabolee
January 29th, 2006, 19:23
Whenever I try and run a rom I get a lynx.img NOT FOUND error?

Do I need a bios file oe something?

parabolee
January 29th, 2006, 20:35
Nevermind I found it. I just seached google for - Atari Lynx BIOS

Why does it not mention that you need that in the info?