PDA

View Full Version : Cops Blame Driving Games For Crap Young Drivers

wraggster
November 18th, 2008, 18:37
Some background: reckless driving and young deaths on Australian roads are a fairly big problem here. We've got lots of long roads, lots of kids with big cars, and a culture of people driving big cars fast. It's been a problem in Australian society for decades, but since games are around these days, they're becoming a convenient scapegoat amongst those who should really know better (ie the police). Having armed himself with a German report on the subject, Superintendent Dave Evans of the NSW Police has told the Daily Telegraph:

Video games can have a negative impact on young drivers because it increases their complacency and their indulgence in risk-taking behaviour. In games you race, you crash and it is a matter of pressing the buttons and off you go again. In real life it doesn't work that way, you can be killed.

Do any of you kids really think that real life driving comes with Gran Turismo crash modelling?

http://kotaku.com/5091582/cops-blame-driving-games-for-crap-young-drivers

Mc_Logical
November 19th, 2008, 05:09
No but it comes with classic crash effects LOL

titch.ryan
November 19th, 2008, 11:00
OMG when will they stop blaming everything on gaming. its nothing to do with the game its the person that plays it!!

gutbub
November 19th, 2008, 13:54
Any number of things can have a negative impact on young drivers. But it's not young drivers I'm worried about, it's the seniors. Oh, and anybody who uses there cell phone while driving.

inlovewithi
November 19th, 2008, 15:24
I think it has the opposite effect, it shows you how much easier it is to crash at super high speed compared to normal speeds. In GTAIV at least. One thing that I've learned playing GTA is that a simple tap could result in certain death if you're riding a bike, as apposed to a minor accident if you were driving a car.

Lastron
November 20th, 2008, 16:44
sadly they 'may' have a point, i mean the important thing is that some people acualy ARE stupid enough too subconciously think its ok, taking risks based on past 'game' expreiences...

T_T