PDA

View Full Version : Sony Discusses PSP Possibilities For ‘LittleBigPlanet,’ ‘Guitar Hero,’ And ‘Rock Band

wraggster
November 18th, 2008, 20:27
There isn’t much to play on your PSP this holiday season, but that hasn’t stopped people from getting excited over rumors that “LittleBigPlanet” would go portable.

Even though “LittleBigPlanet” has just launched on PlayStation 3, people already want to know what’s next.

While on the phone yesterday with John Koller, head of hardware marketing for Sony Computer Entertainment America, we asked him about the rumors.

“‘LittleBigPlanet’ is so expansionary,” said Koller. “I think the developer’s really concentrating on right now making sure that the launched product is everything it could be and can be. We’re watching the UGC [user generated content] and seeing how that’s playing out. But for the future, I think certainly, we’d look at a wide variety of opportunities. Whether that’s the PSP or not, I can’t really say. We certainly look at ‘LittleBigPlanet’ franchise as a going forward franchise for us, and that speaks to the PlayStation brand overall.”

His last line should provide hope for handheld “LittleBigPlanet.”

But we didn’t stop there. With “Guitar Hero: On Tour” proving so popular on the DS, what is Sony doing to court the makers of “Rock Band” and “Guitar Hero” to PSP? Here’s what Koller told us.

“It’s of huge interest to us,” he said. “That’s something you’d really have to talk to the developers on that side [if] it’s going to happen or not. For us, we look at the music area as being critical for PSP and the social area of interest as well. PSP is a lot different than your traditional handheld product and music is the number two use on the PSP, behind gaming. So, the marrying of those two concepts is of huge interest to us, and if there’s that opportunity to launch a title like that or even a new title that utilizes music in some way, then obviously we’re very interested.”

Of course, this then begs the question, how would Neversoft or Harmonix (or someone else?) do a music game on PSP? Would it need a peripheral?

stick1286
November 18th, 2008, 21:10
I have been dreaming for years for more games like Frequency and Amplitude to become somewhat portable. I love those games and even though its old technology, I would still enjoy it today. Perfect time to bring the old school back?

ps

I know the game beats is out there

Later

jxx2005
November 20th, 2008, 13:39
maybe it will be something that plugs into the USB port?
i mean what with 5.00 and its "auto detect usb" feature, isnt it plausible?

dangee
November 20th, 2008, 16:01
maybe it will be something that plugs into the USB port?
i mean what with 5.00 and its "auto detect usb" feature, isnt it plausible?

yup, that must be it.

At the start of this year, Sony were talking about a USB
keyboard for the web browser by mid '09.
The driver could quite easily support an air guitar in GAME.
Only prob really is the lo-fi PSP speaker.

jxx2005
November 21st, 2008, 00:55
yup, that must be it.

At the start of this year, Sony were talking about a USB
keyboard for the web browser by mid '09.
The driver could quite easily support an air guitar in GAME.
Only prob really is the lo-fi PSP speaker.

thats what good headphones are for, the ones that come with the PSP are good, and there are these newer ones that sony just put out, they're damn fine, for the price

dangee
November 21st, 2008, 01:49
errm, I just realized something.

ok, so I've got my Vguitar (or whatever its called) slung low & cool on the shoulder strap,& plugged in the USB, Cans on.
I'm still gonna need a mic stand & some gaffa tape, or a good mate, to hold up the PSP for me while I rock out

Buddy4point0
November 21st, 2008, 12:57
Great news!
LittleBigPlanet on PSP is one good move that they've made.
All the merchandising for the game is ridicules, I even read somewhere they were looking into making a LittleBigPlanet cartoon.
But LittleBigPlanet on the PSP?!?! I'd hit that. :thumbup:

A music game such as frequency that would just use the buttons would be cool, but one that had some sort of portable guitar such as Guitar Hero or Rockband would be cooler.
I'm not sure how they would manage it though, they would have to make some sort of folding, sliding, compressing guitar that then got bigger and still had a good way of seeing and holing the PSP.

What I don't want to see is a DS-like Guitar Hero controler, If that's the only choice I would rather use the buttons.
The only thing that I can think would work is to just have the guitar neck snap onto the usb port.
From there the PSP would but facing up, screen pointed at you, and the buttons would be on the neck, facing to the front.
That would give you good hand possitions for pressing the guitar buttons as well as cross, triangle, circle, square, and r, for strumming and/or other features.

Anyone else got a good idea for the design of the guitar?