PDA

View Full Version : The 10 best games machines of all time

wraggster
November 18th, 2008, 20:30
Everyone's got their favourite console, and usually that choice goes arm-in-arm with the games they grew up with.

Some machines were better than others, but what's really important is what gave rise to today's enormous gaming landscape.

Raise a glass, then, to 10 landmark home gaming machines. Some were smash hits, others were dismal failures - but they've all earned a proud place in history.

1. Sinclair ZX Spectrum 48K

A singularly British machine (it was Sir Clive Sinclair's finest hour), its graphical and sound limitations made it, on paper, more a computer than a gaming platform. Everyone still bangs on about copying its cassette-based games and the horrible loading noises, but that's doing its great legacy a huge disservice.

It clocked up well over 10,000 games during its long history - it was the first home to the likes of Manic Miner, Dizzy and Rebelstar, and received ports of most of the major arcade titles at the time. Never mind that its keyboard felt like zombie skin - the thing was relatively easy to program for, and as such was something of a training ground for many of today's big developers and unrepentant geeks. Hell, people are still making games for it even today.

2. Mattel Intellivision

In 1980, the Atari 2600 reigned supreme - which inevitably inspired a slew of other technology companies to seek a piece of home videogaming pie.

Perhaps the most successful was Mattel's 'intelligent television', with its infamously hyperbolic ("the closest thing to the real thing") ad campaign that shouted about its technical superiority over the incumbent Atari machine.

The Intellivision sold an impressive 3 million units, despite a games library of just 125, before becoming one of the major casualties of the 1983 videogame crash.

While the history books give it less space than its major rival, it's notable as being the first 16-bit home games machine, the first with 16-way directional controller, the first with real-time voices (so long as you had the Intellivoice add-on) and the first with downloadable games - which vanished when you turned the thing off, as it lacked writeable storage.

3. Sega Dreamcast

The turn of the 21st century does, of course, belong to the PlayStation 2, but Sega's final console was the first of that sixth-generation of home gaming systems, and to this day inspires unbelievable loyalty amongst its fanbase.

Hardware shortages, mediocre marketing, the lack of EA's otherwise omnipresent sports games and Sega's bad rep off the back of the preceding Saturn and 32X consoles meant it couldn't compete with the PS2's eventual blitzkrieg.

It was a pioneer of online gaming, however - the shining light of the modem age. Its MMO Phantasy Star Universe still runs to this day. It even had a web browser and supported keyboards (the latter was also memorably employed in bonkers spelling-shooter The Typing of the Dead).

The Dreamcast might be long off the shelves, but its scene continues to thrive - which is at least partly due to the crazy ease of running pirated and homebrew games on it.

4. Nintendo Gameboy Advance

The heyday of pre-3D home gaming in your hand. While Nintendo's portable consoles' huge success tends to rely on the kiddie market, the third-gen Gameboy really hit all the right beats for nostalgics and the hardcore.

Gorgeous remakes of classic Marios and Zeldas made it seem like the NES/SNES golden years never ended, while new sequels to beloved series kept 2D gaming very much alive in an age obsessed with 3D. The GBA still lives to this day, its design simplicity and lack of gimmickry lending it an appeal its follow-up, the DS, never quite managed.

5. Atari 2600

The flagship of the first big home console boom, the Atari 2600 popularised the idea of games appearing on swappable cartridges (the more costly forerunner to today's CDs and DVDs) rather than being built-in to the hardware. In 1977, home gaming was Pong, Pong and more Pong: the Atari (as it was simply known to most) changed all that, reinvigorating the market with ports of arcade darlings such as Space Invaders.

The Atari was everywhere in the early 80s, and it spawned a raft of competitors - including Nintendo's first console, the NES/Famicom. The 2600 both partly caused and was primary victim of the 1983 videogaming crash, but you could still buy one new as late as 1992.

6. 386/486 IBM compatible

PCs had been around for years, but it was the early 90s 386 and 486 processors that really defined the system as the thinking man's gaming platform.

This was the age of Doom, of Monkey Island, of Sim City, of Civilization... PC gaming never looked back, and the level of invention and intelligence birthed in those crucial years still continues in today's thriving indie and mod scene.

7. Nintendo Entertainment System

The Phoenix from the ashes of the 1983 crash that almost killed home gaming. The NES (or Famicom, as it was known in its home Japan) was held aloft by a fantastic port of the arcade smash Donkey Kong, but it was the likes of Super Mario Bros and lightgun classic Duck Hunt that booted it into the public consciousness.

Zelda, Metroid, Final Fantasy, Castlevania and Mega Man (amongst a raft of others) all began life on the NES, and its classic controller remains the essential template for today's gamepads. The NES might not have been the great innovator of the machines that preceded it, but it's the major root of today's consoles. History would be entirely different without it.

8. Sony PlayStation

Sony's first console would be the best-selling home console of all time, were it not for its even more successful follow-up, the still-popular PS2. Incredibly, it began life as a planned CD-ROM add-on for Nintendo's then-ubiquitous SNES, but contract arguments saw Sony go it alone.

Its CD-ROM drive, a technology Nintendo remained resistant to with its competing, cartridge-based N64, was one of the major causes for its success. Loading times may have suffered for it, but discs were dramatically cheaper to manufacture than cartridges, which were fast proving a turn-off to third party manufacturers.

Couple with that the PS's shift into being the first major 3D home console and the fact it soon proved remarkably easy to pirate its games, and you have yourself a landmark machine that eventually cropped up in most every gamer's home.

9. Amiga 500

Before the IBM compatible (the template upon which today's PCs are still based) became dominant, the Amiga series was the main name in home computing.

Its graphics and sound were ahead of the competition, it was astonishingly versatile at creating graphics and music (even Andy Warhol was a fan), and many of today's big game names - including EA, Rockstar, Peter Molyneux and Will Wright - cut their teeth on the platform. The 500 may have been the baby of the bunch, but it remained the best-selling.

10. Nintendo 64

Far from Nintendo's biggest commercial success - it was quite the flop compared to the SNES that preceded it or today's Wii - but, like the rival PlayStation, it was one of the major blueprints for modern console gaming.

The Nintendo 64 pioneered the shift from 2D to 3D, the likes of Mario 64 and The Ocarina of Time proving that the third dimension meant so much more than simply graphics, while the analogue stick and four controller ports gave rise to Goldeneye, one of the main parents of the first-person shooter deathmatches that dominate today. Nintendo might have dropped the ball with the N64's tiny catalogue of games, but it did define the future.

http://www.techradar.com/news/gaming/the-10-best-games-machines-of-all-time-486401?src=rss&attr=all&artc_pg=2

paul3100
November 18th, 2008, 21:15
Yep the zx spectrum (speccy) deserves the NO1 spot , what a machine it was! . I can remember staying up late and rushing in from school lunch time and night time to play the latest dizzy game with my friends... happy days

paul

WhizzBang
November 18th, 2008, 21:20
Much as I love the ZX Spectrum, I think it is a bit generous to put it at number 1 if those numbers are supposed to mean anything.

I would put the Playstation 1 at number 1 although I know this would be an unpopular choice.

I think the PS1 and ZX Spectrum are the only games machines that really were pushed to their absolute limit. The quality of later games is far beyond what anyone could imagine when the machines were launched.

apex05
November 18th, 2008, 21:55
I totally agree with the speccy being at No1... Anyone old enough to remember it's release will know just how important it was, It let average gamers have endless fun and let future game developers free to use their ideas to create the games industry we have now

jamotto
November 18th, 2008, 23:45
Number 1 belongs to the Amiga.

DCRich
November 18th, 2008, 23:57
how in the hell is the C64 not on the list, seeing as how it has the most sold units of any single computer in the world. It had amazing sound, and boasted over 10,000 titles.

And for that matter, how did the speccy beat it? I think you need to rethink your top 10 list.

paul3100
November 19th, 2008, 00:10
Number 1 belongs to the Amiga.
Perhaps NO2 for the amiga as its what i got straight after my 128k+2! well it wasn't but the A1200 was the best of its generation by far.

how in the hell is the C64 not on the list, seeing as how it has the most sold units of any single computer in the world. It had amazing sound, and boasted over 10,000 titles.

Price was the main issue back then, it was thought of as the rich mans computer as the ps3 is today! Besides a lot of the games out on the old 8 bits originated on the speccy .

paul

bodhee
November 19th, 2008, 01:13
of course the brit made machine lands at number one but the c64 or the apple 2 with about 60,000 games and machines used by bill gates and steve jobs not on here...cmon fellas, a little bias at play here??

mike_jmg
November 19th, 2008, 04:28
Sorry fellas I missed all the machines before the NES.

What I really like is what the article says about the N64 IMO it was the best machine of its time, and I believe its games are the parents of most great games of today. I wish we could have another breakthrough like with this console but I don't think it's going to happen.

Also, the gba games were nice while switching from my N64 to a PS2 (those days were good)

But I might add, where is the SNES people?, I played the shit out of that thing during my entire childhood, It has a place in my heart up to this day, why is it not on the list

Also the PS2, as it has some of the best games I've ever played.

my thoughts
Mike_jmg

edit: this is funny, thinking about all this made me realize that inbetween the console generation changes I've spent time on a handheld conslole most of the times haha

NES to SNES - Gameboy
SNES to N64 - There was the gameboy color but I used the new games on my older one
N64 to PS2 - Gameboy Advance games through a PC emulator :p
PS2 to Xbox360 - PSP, been playing the shit out of this thing up to this day

funny uh!

DCRich
November 19th, 2008, 08:22
Price was the main issue back then, it was thought of as the rich mans computer as the ps3 is today! Besides a lot of the games out on the old 8 bits originated on the speccy .

paul

I don't know about the rich man's computer thing. My family was lower middle class, and got one around '86 I think it was. Also, if it was such a rich man's computer, how is it that it sold over 30 million units in it's lifetime.

Like any new piece of hardware, it was expensive when it came out, but that changed, and it sold better than any single computer in history.

pdogg
November 19th, 2008, 08:55
This list is a joke without the C64. Nuff sa(i)d.

Captinmax
November 19th, 2008, 09:38
You goto give the C64 some credit in any list such as this as well as it's bigger brother the C128 or the smaller C16/Plus 4, which were quite good machines.

And if you have the Amiga you also have to have the Atari ST, which was quite the equal to the Amiga.

All of these machines live on in emulation form, even if the company's only live on in name.

kojiro7
November 19th, 2008, 10:25
I dont agree with:

-Mattel Intelivision(almost unknown,nothing special,why one of the best?)
-Gameboy Advance(Very very good but not better than simple old Gameboy)
-386/486(Just awful,Amiga was there that period)
-Nintendo 64(You dont buy a machine for 3-4 good games)

-Mattel should be replaced with Amstrad CPC6128 or Commodore 64(Best 8-bit home computers)
-Gameboy Advance with Gameboy mono(Best handheld ever)
-386/486 with Sega Megadrive(The 16-bit revolution)
-Nintendo 64 with Super Nes(The perfect opponet for Megadrive)

Amiga 500 or NES should be in the 1st place

Mischa
November 19th, 2008, 11:47

And for that matter, how did the speccy beat it? I think you need to rethink your top 10 list.

I second that. The first think i noticed, was the missing of the Commodore 64 in the list. Just like DCRich said, It is still in "the guiness book of records" in the category, most sold personal computer. And if this list is only for Consoles, then the Amiga should not be in the list aswell. (dont get me wrong, i am a huge Amiga fan aswell). But the title says "game machine" so they both belong there, in my opinion.

And yes, the SNES should be in "my list" too. The best 16-bit console of those days. (except the NEOGEO, but that console was to expensive.)

But further more this topic always has to do with taste and what your feelings were with one of those consoles.

Greetings from Holland ;)

gutbub
November 19th, 2008, 13:47
Pretty good list. Of course I agree with some things, and disagree with others. That makes it a good thing that this is a list of opinion and fact, otherwise I would be just a tad mad.

paul3100
November 20th, 2008, 00:41
And if you have the Amiga you also have to have the Atari ST, which was quite the equal to the Amiga.

I agree the atari st and amiga were out at the same time and competing but there is one major difference between the two models and that is the st was 16bit where as the amiga (1200) was 32bit with much better graphics! , st wins for sound though.

I don't know about the rich man's computer thing. My family was lower middle class, and got one around '86 I think it was. Also, if it was such a rich man's computer, how is it that it sold over 30 million units in it's lifetime.

Like any new piece of hardware, it was expensive when it came out, but that changed, and it sold better than any single computer in history.

Ok perhaps rich mans console/computer wans't the right way of putting it but it was expensive for the first year of its like compared to the speccy, plus the speccy had been out longer than the 64 which gave it a big advantage and back catalogue of great games.

If it were my list i would start in order of:

8bit) zx spectrum 128k+2 or zx 48k (rubber keys)

16 bit) Sega megadrive/genesis + CD , Also the st for computers + its 16bit

32bit) Amiga A1200

64 bit) N64 cause there isn't any other except that god awful jaguar, the jaguar wasn't true 32 bit anyway as it used 2 32bit cpu's (fact)!

128) A toss up between sega dreamcast and the ps2

Handhelds) gameboy/lynx/gamegear/neo geo pocket = gamegear for me
..............) Gameboy advance / nokia ngage = gba of course
..............) psp / DS/DSlite + DS/DSlite only due to easy piracy

I am being bias here of course owning all those system and still owning then to this day.

paul