PDA

View Full Version : Bin Your PS3, Save Yourself $15

wraggster
November 20th, 2008, 21:24
The Natural Resources Defense Council Have...hey, look, wait. This is interesting. Because it's about your money. Anyway, like I was saying, the Natural Resources Defense Council have released a report detailing how much money it costs the average American to run a gaming console. And, by extension, how much money you could save by taking those consoles and throwing them in the closet/garbage. Were you to decomission a 360, for example, you'd save yourself $11 a year. $11! Binning a PS3 would save you $15, while packing the Wii away - provided you haven't already done so - will save you...$3 a year. Best keep it around then, in case Gran comes over and wants a swing at that "computer bowling".

http://kotaku.com/5093963/bin-your-ps3-save-yourself-15

GODZEROXX
November 21st, 2008, 14:14
okay, I don't leave my consoles on when I am not playing them but even if I did that really isn't a lot of money wasted :p. 15 dollars is the price someone would pay monthly for an mmo.....

oh my I could toss my ps3 in the closet for a year and be able to play wow an entire extra month! ... woo ;) sounds kinda pointless to me.

F9zDark
November 22nd, 2008, 00:38
okay, I don't leave my consoles on when I am not playing them but even if I did that really isn't a lot of money wasted :p. 15 dollars is the price someone would pay monthly for an mmo.....

oh my I could toss my ps3 in the closet for a year and be able to play wow an entire extra month! ... woo ;) sounds kinda pointless to me.

Wow... First off, these numbers MUST BE from use, considering the PS3 was reported months ago to use the LEAST amount of power during standby compared to the others (1 watt). I don't care how you slice it, 1 watt of energy would never amount to 15 bucks a year, let alone amount to MORE money than the other consoles which use in upwards of 30 watts while being in standby...

Which leads me to my next point, why on earth would we "bin" something that we are using?

How about some more economical and less "destroying our fun factor" green tips? Turn off the lights when not in the room, use the lights only at night, and turn off computers when not in use.

Why the hell would anyone put a console into storage that they are using?

Added:

Upon reading the full article (graph and all), I have come to the conclusion that this article is complete shit. Engadget reported at the most 8 months ago the wattage of all the consoles in standby and the PS3 used the least of them all. No way in hell the LEAST power consuming console in standby equates to more energy cost than one that uses the MOST (the Wii).

pibs
November 22nd, 2008, 00:50
Thats not much, id much rather prefer wasting that then to have to unplug and plug my console in instead of leaving it idle giving me the option of turning it on with the control.

Triv1um
November 22nd, 2008, 12:09
I'm not very green myself.

My PS3 is on pretty much all day, even when im out.

F9zDark
November 23rd, 2008, 06:06
I'm not very green myself.

My PS3 is on pretty much all day, even when im out.

Be green and forsake folding research, or not be green? I think I'd rather not be green on this one :P